Reload this Page >

will be worth it to Madina/KSA

will be worth it to Madina/KSA

Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

TheChemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default will be worth it to Madina/KSA

Hi Everybody,
I have a question whether a package of 13K KSA Riyal total salary in Madina/KSA excluding housing, will be worth it to move from the UK? (my actual salary in the UK £2000)

the job is Assistant Professor in University
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will be worth it to Madina/KSA

Hi Chemist

13k SAR per month is only just higher than GBP 2,000 per month.
No way is it worth moving to Saudi for only a slight uplift.

A good rule of thumb in Saudi is that the package should be higher than your gross UK salary.

KAUST near Jeddah is hiring and expanding. Worth looking for roles there.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Southlondoner, do you mean 35K SAR or you mean £35K gross makes it ~£2,700 a month i.e. good deal would be more than £3,000 = 18K SAR

I'm following KAUST, in case a good matching job occure
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheChemist
Hi Everybody,
I have a question whether a package of 13K KSA Riyal total salary in Madina/KSA excluding housing, will be worth it to move from the UK? (my actual salary in the UK £2000)

the job is Assistant Professor in University
There are many more better qualified people on here to advise you on teaching salary expectations, but 13k SAR, excluding housing, is very low. Search the forum for previous teaching posts to get some idea of other like-minded peoples experiences. As with every such questiom, a lot depends on your circumstances and expectations.

Good luck.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Do bear in mind that in Saudi you will be doing the job of professor with all its associated responsibilities but being paid as an Assistant.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

hahahah I'm the only working person with 10,000 managers.

it looks like nothing to gain, all to loss. maybe some penny's?? isn't it

and the other important question how much of this is expected to be saved? i.e. in average how much a family with 2 little kids would need per month. (living expanses)? I heard rent in Madina is cheaper than other cities, is this true?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:13 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

hahahah I'm the only working person with 10,000 managers.

it looks like nothing to gain, all to loss. maybe some penny's?? isn't it

and the other important question how much of this is expected to be saved? i.e. in average how much a family with 2 little kids would need per month. (living expanses)? I heard rent in Madina is cheaper than other cities, is this true?
Also have you looked into Saudi? What sort of country it is, what you can and can't do etc?

Looks like hell on earth to me.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chemist

I have friends in Riyadh and my dad worked in Saudi for ages in chemical engineering.

However - SAR 13k per month, with rent to pay on top and 2 little kids?
Don't do it. You will save next to nothing.

If the comparator is £2,000 per month in UK - you will only have a little extra in KSA. If it is £35k p/a - you are actually earning less in Saudi. Not worth it.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
Hi Chemist

I have friends in Riyadh and my dad worked in Saudi for ages in chemical engineering.

However - SAR 13k per month, with rent to pay on top and 2 little kids?
Don't do it. You will save next to nothing.

If the comparator is £2,000 per month in UK - you will only have a little extra in KSA. If it is £35k p/a - you are actually earning less in Saudi. Not worth it.
Sorry it didn't clearfy that they paying me 24k SAR per year for housing, £35k un taxed.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Don't know about rent in Madina and what you spend will really depend on how you like to live - and the ages of your kids..... are they likely to be school age - schooling is a BIG expense and you need it in your contract! Our preschool costs were about SR12K/yr last year - and it wasn't a big or expensive school.

Ballpark, being pretty generous - you could probably budget around SR6-7 K/mth for expenses including food, clothing, payTV(400), phone(200), internet(400), meals out, petrol(50), part-time maid (25/hr) and then add a driver for your wife (up to 2500 if full-time). Remembering you will then also need a car (to buy or lease) and there may be other expenses that crop up.

The question then is - will what remains be enough for you to "get ahead" at home in Britain?

Last edited by dragonladyoz; Aug 11th 2012 at 9:15 am.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dragonladyozq much appreciated. The eldest is due to go to school this year, verbally they promised privet schools it's not written on the offer. I'm very concerned tbh
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dragonladyozq much appreciated. The eldest is due to go to school this year, verbally they promised privet schools it's not written on the offer. I'm very concerned tbh
I wouldn't hedge your bets on the schooling.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I heard rent in Madina is cheaper than other cities, is this true?
Madina is not cheap unless you live out outside the 2nd ring road - then you will have to contend with the traffic - also remember that annual 4-5 million people arrive there as part of the Hajj - and hence all prices rise dramtically (for example a 40 SAR taxi can become 200+ SAR )

The money is simply not worth it - you will not be able to save a decent amount.