Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Will Saudi Ban the Letter ‘X'?

Will Saudi Ban the Letter ‘X'?

Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:28 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Saudi Ban the Letter ‘X'?

From Here

A few quotes...

The letter "X" soon may be banned in Saudi Arabia because it resembles the mother of all banned religious symbols in the oil kingdom: the cross.

The new development came with the issuing of another mind-bending fatwa, or religious edict, by the infamous Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice — the group of senior Islamic clergy that reigns supreme on all legal, civil, and governance matters in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Well, never mind that none of the so-called scholars manning the upper ranks of the religious outfit can speak or read a word of English. But their experts who examined the English word "explorer" were struck by how suspicious that "X" appeared. In a kingdom where Friday preachers routinely refer to Christians as pigs and infidel crusaders, even a twisted cross ranks as an abomination.
And some further info about the commission....

Among the commission's deeds is the famed 1974 fatwa — issued by its blind leader at the time, Sheik Abdul Aziz Ben Baz — which declared that the Earth was flat and immobile. In a book issued by the Islamic University of Medina, the sheik argued: "If the earth is rotating, as they claim, the countries, the mountains, the trees, the rivers, and the oceans will have no bottom."

Another bright light of the commission, Sheik Abdel-Aziz al-Sheikh, recently stopped a government reform proposal aimed at creating work for women by allowing them to replace male sales clerks in women's clothing stores. Sheik al-Sheikh damned the idea, saying it was a step "towards immorality and hellfire." The underlying logic is breathtaking: Women are more protected by buying their knickers from men!
It beggers belief!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:05 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Saudi Ban the Letter ‘X'?

Ah yes, from that great newspaper of record, the New York Sun (which claims a circulation of 100,000 copies a day in a city of 8 million - the New York Times manages 1.6 million). Odd how it's the only paper to have reported this; Google it and you'll find that every single article about it can only cite the NYS piece as its source.

Just goes to show that some people really will believe any old bollocks just because they read it on the net.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jan 17th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:26 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, don't shoot the messenger, and I when did i say i believed it?

The fact that some of the historical stuff is correct is neither here nor there tho eh?

Oh and apparently the author used to write a weekly column for Gulf News, but I haven't bothered to verify that, just what I was told.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:28 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Ah yes, from that great newspaper of record, the New York Sun (which claims a circulation of 100,000 copies a day in a city of 8 million - the New York Times manages 1.6 million). Odd how it's the only paper to have reported this; Google it and you'll find that every single article about it can only cite the NYS piece as its source.

Just goes to show that some people really will believe any old bollocks just because they read it on the net.
That's YOU told, MJC!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:42 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Whoa, don't shoot the messenger
Surely the Lounge is the place for this kind of stuff?

and I when did i say i believed it?
In your original post you could have expressed scepticism, but you presented it as if it was fact.

Sorry, but there's so much of this sort of pointless bollocks clogging up the web. Stick it where it belongs so we can all avoid it!

And FWIW, Google reveals that Ben Baz's "famed" fatwa was announced in 1976, not 1974, and was a result of taking a verse in the Qu'ran literally rather than symbolically (as every other Muslim scholar does).

Last edited by Eeyore; Jan 17th 2007 at 10:54 am.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:59 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, I'm impressed, GarethR thinks I'm being serious.

Well there's a first for me.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:23 am
Soupy twist

Oh, don't worry. I know exactly how much bollocks you talk.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:52 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't count that high.

Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:04 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
I can't count that high.

If it's more than 10, Geordies are always in bother.

Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:48 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

“The earth is flat, and anyone who disputes this claim is an atheist who deserves to be punished.”

- Muslim religious edict in 1993 by Sheik Abdel-Aziz Ibn Baaz.

He sounds like a charming fellow - I can imagine discussing the finer points of evolution by natural selection with him over a ham sandwich and a pint of bombadier ale.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I can imagine discussing the finer points of evolution by natural selection with him over a ham sandwich and a pint of bombadier ale.
Dressed in a thong bikini. Using diagrams on evolution drawn by Danish cartoonists to back up your argument.

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:14 am
"Ohhhhhhhh no he isn't!"

Location: Cambridgeshire countryside - so... not an expat per se, but I aspire to be.
Mrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant future

... and people say that Saudi's are no fun. These guys must be laughing so hard that they have to wipe the tears from their eyes before penning the next mad edict.

I prefer to think of them in not so much of a Abu Hamza vein, but more of a Bill and Ted, or Wayne's World way.... They have to be joking? right...? .. guys?