Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Will rents ever go down in Dubai?

View Poll Results: Will rents go up or down in 2009 in Dubai?
Up
74.07%
Down
25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Will rents ever go down in Dubai?

Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Will rents ever go down in Dubai?

I have been following BE for a while. It has been an amazing source of information to plan our move to Dubai. We will move in April next year. I was able to postpone my job offer for nine months so we can have our first child here in Europe.

We decided we will go for a small Villa (2 bedrooms plus Maid)... so we are now thinking three possibilities: Springs, Arabian Ranches, and Mirdif (Any other place to consider?). We want to have a little garden like we have here in Oxford and also the sense of community since we do not know anyone in Dubai. My job is somewhere between the Trade Centre and Downtown Dubai so I guess the three options for housing are OK.

Like everyone living and planning to move to Dubai... I am a little worry about rental prices. With the salary I negotiated I could rent a two bedroom Villa today BUT what will be the prices when I move in April??? What do you think, they will keep going up or finally stop? Looking to previous threads... people in 2004 where already complaining about rents and predicted they will go down... same in 2006 and 2007... but rents are still increasing. I was in Dubai in May and Springs Type 4 were going for 160K, now they are 180K or up.

What do you think about rents for 2009? Up or Down?

Cheers,
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will rents ever go down in Dubai?

Villas will go up without a doubt, apartments 'may' level out due to the influx of new properties in the market. A 2 bed on the Springs will hit 200k in the next 6 months, that is my guess.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:10 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd expect a little rent increase, but I can't help feeling that the fallout from financial problems around the world will have some effect here.

Global companies will likely have to make cutbacks, no pay increases, housing allowance freeze and so on.

Then we might see some people keen to sell property while they can make some gain, or to release money if they have property here as a holiday home/investment.

I'm off to grab a beer before this black wave of depression overcomes me.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thinkingaboutit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by klaus3974
I have been following BE for a while. It has been an amazing source of information to plan our move to Dubai. We will move in April next year. I was able to postpone my job offer for nine months so we can have our first child here in Europe.

We decided we will go for a small Villa (2 bedrooms plus Maid)... so we are now thinking three possibilities: Springs, Arabian Ranches, and Mirdif (Any other place to consider?). We want to have a little garden like we have here in Oxford and also the sense of community since we do not know anyone in Dubai. My job is somewhere between the Trade Centre and Downtown Dubai so I guess the three options for housing are OK.

Like everyone living and planning to move to Dubai... I am a little worry about rental prices. With the salary I negotiated I could rent a two bedroom Villa today BUT what will be the prices when I move in April??? What do you think, they will keep going up or finally stop? Looking to previous threads... people in 2004 where already complaining about rents and predicted they will go down... same in 2006 and 2007... but rents are still increasing. I was in Dubai in May and Springs Type 4 were going for 160K, now they are 180K or up.

What do you think about rents for 2009? Up or Down?

Cheers,
I was also thinking about this, I'm moving to Dubai in two weeks and was wondering if it was worth taking a short term let first.

My conclusion was that the property market in Dubai is too hard to call, if it goes down as the result of a catastrophic business or geopolitical event it would go down a lot, but if one of these doesn't happen it will carry on rising until people can only just afford to pay rent and then drop back a bit when apartments are empty.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Thinkingaboutit
I was also thinking about this, I'm moving to Dubai in two weeks and was wondering if it was worth taking a short term let first.

My conclusion was that the property market in Dubai is too hard to call, if it goes down as the result of a catastrophic business or geopolitical event it would go down a lot, but if one of these doesn't happen it will carry on rising until people can only just afford to pay rent and then drop back a bit when apartments are empty.
The thing is... apartments are already empty and rents keep going up... so demand=supply is not working. I am an economist and I am trying really hard to understand the game owners are playing. Higher rents than a mature economy just do not make sense. How many people make more than 40K per month (what you need to live in Dubai Marina) in Dubai?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

If the Sh Mo does not have rent caps for 2009 then I am looking at a 100% increase in my rent....
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
If the Sh Mo does not have rent caps for 2009 then I am looking at a 100% increase in my rent....
i'm dreading my rent increase next year if there is no cap...we're paying loads less than the neighbours, even with our 5% increase this time...

MM, xx
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thinkingaboutit is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is... apartments are already empty and rents keep going up... so demand=supply is not working. I am an economist and I am trying really hard to understand the game owners are playing. Higher rents than a mature economy just do not make sense. How many people make more than 40K per month (what you need to live in Dubai Marina) in Dubai?
Why 40k pm to live in The Marina? What are you basing it on?

Don't mean this in a confrontational way, just interested.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i'm dreading my rent increase next year if there is no cap...we're paying loads less than the neighbours, even with our 5% increase this time...

MM, xx
us too
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:49 pm
Concierge

what Klaus is saying is that to afford rent of 17k approx per month you need to earn in the region of 40k per month
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

A family with one or two kids needs minimum a two bedroom apartments, that will cost you 12-15K per month in rent in Dubai Marina. That is a third of your salary... add education, living expenses, utilities, the car, and soon you will be touching 40K per month.

My point was... lot of these developments are for high-middle class people who could not afford the 5 bedroom dream Villa neither would live in Deira. I would like to know how may people are making something like 35K-55K per month? Cause the number of apartments for those people is very big and more are comming soon!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of jobs still provide housing totally seperate from salary.

That's the deal you want...
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Lots of jobs still provide housing totally seperate from salary.

That's the deal you want...
I had four job offers... all of them basic salary + allowances. None of them provided an apartment. Maybe is the sector I work... I know teachers still get apartments.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:03 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I had four job offers... all of them basic salary + allowances. None of them provided an apartment. Maybe is the sector I work... I know teachers still get apartments.
Be interesting to see what happens if apartment prices keep going up, I guess school fees will be on the up. Or less teachers/higher class numbers.

I don't know of the any major IT companies who provide a house, just housing allowance.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the offshore construction business and some of us are provided with suitable accom. Some employes however get an allowance. Depends really.

Given the current situation with rent, I'm very fortunate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.