Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Will this freak Emirates out?

Will this freak Emirates out?

Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:23 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will this freak Emirates out?

We're hoping to visit the UK three times this year. We've got our return tickets for the first of those trips (DXB-LGW-DXB) on Emirates - yes, there are cheaper options, but they're not *that* much cheaper; we use Emirates because they fly direct to Gatwick, and it does actually seem to be worth collecting Skywards miles.

The crazy thing is that it actually makes financial sense to go back to the UK on that return ticket, then buy a *new* LGW-DXB-LGW ticket to get back to Dubai (on the same flight we'd be using to get back on the original ticket), and use the return LGW leg for the second visit home later in the year... if that makes sense We'll actually end up saving ourselves 3500 dhs per trip by originating our return flights in the UK rather than DXB.

If we did that - i.e. booked ourselves twice on the same flight from LGW to DXB - would that send Emirates into confusion when we checked in, given that we'd be on a return leg and and outgoing leg simultaneously?

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 24th 2007 at 12:26 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will this freak Emirates out?

Originally Posted by GarethR
We're hoping to visit the UK three times this year, in June, August and December. We've got our return tickets for the June trip (DXB-LGW-DXB) on Emirates - yes, there are cheaper options, but they're not *that* much cheaper; we use Emirates because they fly direct to Gatwick, and it does actually seem to be worth collecting Skywards miles.

The crazy thing is that it actually makes financial sense to go back to the UK on that return ticket, then buy a *new* LGW-DXB-LGW ticket to get back to Dubai (on the same flight we'd be using to get back on the original ticket), and use the return LGW leg in August... if that makes sense We'll actually end up saving ourselves 3500 dhs per trip by originating our return flights in the UK rather than DXB.

If we did that - i.e. booked ourselves twice on the same flight from LGW to DXB - would that send Emirates into confusion when we checked in, given that we'd be on a return leg and and outgoing leg simultaneously?
not at all my mother has done it for years and so have a few of my friends too! go for it !!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:33 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

It just seems insane that you're travelling the same distance between the same two countries, and yet it costs nearly £500 less if you start in the UK rather than Dubai...

And I guess it would only (maybe) confuse Emirates if we gave them both sets of tickets at check-in on the way back to DXB... but then perhaps we could claim four booked seats rather than two
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

It just seems insane that you're travelling the same distance between the same two countries, and yet it costs nearly £500 less if you start in the UK rather than Dubai...

And I guess it would only (maybe) confuse Emirates if we gave them both sets of tickets at check-in on the way back to DXB... but then perhaps we could claim four booked seats rather than two
yes but honestly I got a friend who does it nearly all the time, back and forth, you can save a fortune. Also if you book on www.expedia.co.uk, depart DXB return DXB , the price is in pounds - you pay with british credit card and get e ticket. It isn't always cheaper but it is always worth checking.

BC
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

it's mad isn't it...never thought of checking before but will do now. Mind you, always go Virgin if I can...

MM, xx
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:20 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes but honestly I got a friend who does it nearly all the time, back and forth, you can save a fortune. Also if you book on www.expedia.co.uk, depart DXB return DXB , the price is in pounds - you pay with british credit card and get e ticket. It isn't always cheaper but it is always worth checking.

BC
DH tried to book from Dubai to Uk the booking wouldnt go through they said it was a mistake and the price was 630 pnds his friend booked it with his card from the uk and it was 300 pnds. If you have a uk bank account and uk address you can book it cheaper.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:48 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

technically its illegal, I think.
had someone explain to me why once but was so bored i wasnt really listening
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:55 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
technically its illegal, I think.
had someone explain to me why once but was so bored i wasnt really listening
Sad git

we did it for 4 years, worked well. I'm surprised you haven't cottoned onto this Shiva, being scots lad and all.

Drive safely
TS
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:57 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Sad git

we did it for 4 years, worked well. I'm surprised you haven't cottoned onto this Shiva, being scots lad and all.

Drive safely
TS
dont need to, i dont go back to the uk so dont need to save on the flights
(been back once in 2 and a bit yrs)
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:57 pm
W10

I've done it for the last two years - nothing quite like paying 225 quid for a ticket in july...

Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:58 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Drive safely
TS
HHMMMM
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:59 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

HHMMMM
oops
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:00 pm
**** it we'll do it live

but then perhaps we could claim four booked seats rather than two [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

why not you paid for four seats why not claim em
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:01 pm
**** it we'll do it live

oops
yup, oops indeed.
got a v v cool plan now though so blessing in disgusie really.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:17 pm
Concierge

dont need to, i dont go back to the uk so dont need to save on the flights
(been back once in 2 and a bit yrs)
I have been back 3 times in 8 years, shocking eh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.