Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Wife dosen't drive, will this be a major problem?

Wife dosen't drive, will this be a major problem?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough
Default Wife dosen't drive, will this be a major problem?

Dear All, this is my first post so hello! I'd really appreciate it if I could get some opinions on the following;

I'm looking to relocate from the UK to Abu Dhabi with my current employer and am expecting an offer to be made very shortly. This offer dosen't include accomodation so, whilst I'll be working in AD I anticipate renting in Dubai (the Marina) and commuting in everday (to Mushrif). I anticpate the commute to be 1hr 20mins.

I will be bringing with me my wife and our 7 month old daughter. My wife (who is a Thai national) unfortunatley dosen't hold any driving licence. I have a real concern if she will be able to settle in Dubai without having her own transport and from scouring the internet it appears that driving in Dubai shouldn't be attempted by an inexperienced driver.

Can anyone give me some advice, will she be able to get around the malls etc and the marina area fairly easily without a car? Are taxis reliable and safe for young children and unaccompanied women? Has anyone else expierenced a similar situation?

I'd also like to know if there is much of a Thai community in Dubai, whilst my wife is outgoing and makes friends easily it would be an advantage if she met some people who shared her first language.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

John
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife dosen't drive, will this be a major problem?

well...I'd hate it not being able to drive here, especially with a baby in tow but since she can't drive, that's just the way it is...
taxis are reliable and she won't have much trouble in that respect...whether they are safe is a matter of opinion, lol...some drivers aren't...
She will need to bring her own safetyseat for the baby though...
Things in the Marina are sort of walking distance, but it will be too hot for her and the baby to do a lot of outside walking for about 5 months a year...

oh...nice username by the way
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:02 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Mullet,

Depdining on you financial positon a full time driver could be another option. Bit of an expensive option but needs and must etc.....
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the comments guys, we're going to go for an intensive driving course in the UK prior to going out there, but there is no guarantee she'll pass in time.

I'm likely to be on 35k - 40k AED per month (which has to pay for everything). Any rough ideas how much a full time driver might set me back on a monthly basis?

I'm not sure if learning to drive in the UAE is feasible, as it sounds as if nationality plays a major role in passing the test rather than driving skill!

MataHari - glad you like the username, it's my favourite haircut!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:12 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mullet
oh...I was rather hoping you were referring to the fish variety...
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:16 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if learning to drive in the UAE is feasible, as it sounds as if nationality plays a major role in passing the test rather than driving skill!
We have a few Filipino guys working who had to take their driving tests here, they said it wasn't too bad. Expect to fail on the first attempt then another two or three goes and you pass.

I think it's a minimum of 20 lessons they had to take, I can check.

Having a baby, your wife would ideally get her driving license. It would make things a lot easier. Saying that, if you get a decent location in the marina there shops within walking distance.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:25 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drive here and have a toddler and 3 month old... and live in the Marina. It's fine, to be honest... frustrating at times, but fine.

She should join the JBR Sandpit mother and baby group (Facebook) as they organise quite a few meet-ups each week in different locations all within walking distance around the Marina.

There are also enough little supermarkets/ pharmacies etc around (as well as Marina Mall) to make sure that she isn't dependant on the weekly big shop.

Shop around for your apartment too. Several buildings have indoor kids playrooms and kids pools - JBR doesn't.

There is also the bus/metro option. A friend of mine said she caught the bus to the Nakheel metro stop and then to Mall of the Emirates as easy as pie. They are also putting the finishing touches to the other metro stations which seem to be at every block in the central Marina area.

--------

Just reading through the other comments -

- Full time driver?! It'd never be feasible. Day-to-day there are playgrounds, play areas, groups, rhyme-time, meet-ups, cafes and yes, shops all within 5 mins of wherever she'd be (apart from right at the Abu Dhabi end of the Marina where it isn't even finished. Not that anywhere is "finished"

- car-seats. Yes, bubs may still be in the "portable" maxi-cosi style one for a bit, but be warned, taxi seat-belts have to be stretched to their maximum to fit it and I was told in no uncertain terms to "just get in and sort it out later" when trying to load my then 8-month old at MotE. So many opt for the scary no seat option.

- get yourself a decent buggy if you're/ she's planning on walking. I now have a Phil&Teds and it's the best thing since sliced bread for tackling the assault courses around here.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Oct 14th 2009 at 10:32 am.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:33 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments guys, we're going to go for an intensive driving course in the UK prior to going out there, but there is no guarantee she'll pass in time.

I'm likely to be on 35k - 40k AED per month (which has to pay for everything). Any rough ideas how much a full time driver might set me back on a monthly basis?

Not certain but I believe you need to hold a UK license for a year before it can be transferred anyway
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:38 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Not certain but I believe you need to hold a UK license for a year before it can be transferred anyway
Oi! Get back in yer box you. Mods aren't supposed to provide advice, only stop us having fun!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Don't know about that, but a Thai national with a UK driving license still cannot convert it to an UAE one anyway.

You need to have the nationality of the country where the license is issued to convert it.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:41 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Oi! Get back in yer box you. Mods aren't supposed to provide advice, only stop us having fun!
Got let out for lunch
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Everybody, thanks for providing so much information! I feel slightly happier knowing that others in Dubai don't drive and are coping (thanks Kitty!). We will look to do the test in Dubai.

Plus I can cancel the the UK driving test which will save a few bob as it is apparent it will serve no purpose. Although I think we'll still have a few lessons in the UK with an instructor to make sure wifey understands the basics (not that I doubt the UAE driving schools).

Thanks again.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody, thanks for providing so much information! I feel slightly happier knowing that others in Dubai don't drive and are coping (thanks Kitty!). We will look to do the test in Dubai.

Plus I can cancel the the UK driving test which will save a few bob as it is apparent it will serve no purpose. Although I think we'll still have a few lessons in the UK with an instructor to make sure wifey understands the basics (not that I doubt the UAE driving schools).

Thanks again.
You should
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:49 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a non-UK national with a young child and copes reasonably well without being able to drive. For some reason, there are not that many Thais working here in Dubai but plenty of Filipinos, Indonesians and Malaysians. If I was in her shoes, I would prefer to be in Dubai than the UK, where the cold winters are a real issue.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cold winters or unbearable summers......tough one to call. Strangely my wife has never had a problem with the winters in the UK, maybe the novelty hasn't worn off yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.