Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why Oh Why - Another (Witnessed) Death On The Roads

Why Oh Why - Another (Witnessed) Death On The Roads

Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:12 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Oh Why - Another (Witnessed) Death On The Roads

Why are people so bleedin stupid? On my way to the office this morning, just before Garhoud Bridge - near Emerat station, worker walks into the traffic (we're all doing around 100ks) and gets run over by a black Chrysler Luminar SS. Now the driver wasn't doing anything wrong, it could so easily have been me. Bloke is dragged under the car for 30feet or so. Dead. Blood and guts all over the road. I was nearly, very nearly puking, so what happens next. Yep, we all drive around the body and continue on our way. The guy was dead, what's the point in stopping, he had half his head left, the rest was on the road.

Why do these people do it?

I must say I felt sorry for the driver, wrong place, wrong time.

Last edited by MJC; Dec 20th 2005 at 3:19 am.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:15 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Oh Why - Another (Witnessed) Death On The Roads

Originally Posted by MJC
Why are people so bleedin stupid? On my way to the office this morning, just before Garhoud Bridge - near Emerat station, worker walks into the traffic (we're all doing around 100ks) and gets run over by a black Chrysler Luminar SS. Now the driver wasn't doing anything wrong, it could so easily have been me. Bloke is dragged under the car for 30feet or so. Dead. Blood and guts all over the road. I was nearly, very nearly puking, so what happens next. Yep, we all drive around the body and continue on our way. The guy was dead, what's the point in stopping, he had hald his head left, the rest was on the road.

People dont realize how fast the car is when try to cross the road. The rely that the car will stop for them when they crossing the road.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:43 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Why are people so bleedin stupid? On my way to the office this morning, just before Garhoud Bridge - near Emerat station, worker walks into the traffic (we're all doing around 100ks) and gets run over by a black Chrysler Luminar SS. Now the driver wasn't doing anything wrong, it could so easily have been me. Bloke is dragged under the car for 30feet or so. Dead. Blood and guts all over the road. I was nearly, very nearly puking, so what happens next. Yep, we all drive around the body and continue on our way. The guy was dead, what's the point in stopping, he had half his head left, the rest was on the road.

Another good start to the day then
Old Dec 20th 2005, 4:00 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Another good start to the day then

Its what they r used to in their countries where there are no lanes, zebra crossings, lights and cars arent as fast.

My heart goes out to the driver who will be scarred for life.

As for the victim, God bless his soul.....
Old Dec 20th 2005, 4:17 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC

On the crossing road between Rigga and Abu Bakr Road the Municipality have erected fense so that no one should cross on that road and rather use the Zebra crossing along the Redlights, But No they are still crossing the road where the cars are coming straight from the Tunnel!!

at the interchange near the Jebel ali freezone just at that streatch there are fense erected but still people are crossing by jumping over them.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:23 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Saw s guy run across a very busy SZR on Sunday, i very nearly crashed myself through trying to avert my eyes....bloody rediculous and very scarey!

He did make the other side by the way....thank god!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CasaNova
On the crossing road between Rigga and Abu Bakr Road the Municipality have erected fense so that no one should cross on that road and rather use the Zebra crossing along the Redlights, But No they are still crossing the road where the cars are coming straight from the Tunnel!!
I would love to see the municipality do something to prevent this in a clever planned way.
This is has been done opposite Sahara Centre in Sharjah. They build a long fence within 2 weeks to prevent people crossing from the other side where more than 2000 people live. This has led people to cross at the end of the fence and the danger of being killed by a car is still high. Women are even finding it harder to cross the road. No pedestrian crossing bridge is been built . The fence is blocking the view of drivers leaving the car park to the main road which led to more accidents since the fence has been built.
Now I am sure there are many places where the municipality is building fences without thinking of the pedestrians.
Municipality planners and contractors are so fast that their main thinking is to do the job and leave. There is no follow up and no checking to what they have done.

Now to the funniest accident I've seen last week before I leave to London. It was around 4.00am on Jumaira Road. A Land Cruiser driver (maybe drunk) was driving ahead of me. Suddenly, he hit the middle lane where all the road works are and then kept dragging those orange peaces for more than 200 metres and the smoke coming out of his car was huge. He then managed to run without anyone seeing him (other than me) and left some damage on the road (poor guy). I don't know who is to blame.

I couldn't stop laughing for days though. Sorry
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:49 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

In the UK when driving to work in the morning, it's like "ew...look its a poor hedgehog/mice/hare/rabbit/cat that just been squished"...and carry on our day as normal

Here it's like "ew look its a person just been squished"...and carry on our day as normal.

Hey Ho!! Culture shock