Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why are folk leaving Dubai?

Why are folk leaving Dubai?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of
Default Why are folk leaving Dubai?

Hello

I have read quite a few posts where folk are saying that people are leaving Dubai and returning home in their droves. I just wondered, and excuse my ignorance, why that is? Is it the case of taking such posts with a pinch of salt or is it fact... If the latter... I just wondered about the reason.

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are folk leaving Dubai?

A lot of people have lost jobs due to cancelled projects etc. If you don't have a job it's difficult to stay in this part of the world even if you may want to.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Thanks soukie
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep the fact that projects have been cancelled so people who were meant to be working on them, have been sacked. and also the fact that some "developers" and the like who are not paying their bills for services rendered, so in turn the contractors/consultants etc cannot afford to keep the company afloat, in any other place there would be some address.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
A lot of people have lost jobs due to cancelled projects etc. If you don't have a job it's difficult to stay in this part of the world even if you may want to.
......... and a lot of people see no prospect of that changing for quite some time to come.

They haven't just lost jobs - many of them have also lost a lot of money on poorly-judged property investments (buying at the top of an already inflated market just as the rest of the world was slipping into recession, etc). And Dubai's punitive approach to debtors encourages people to do a runner rather than, say, meet their bank to discuss a suitable method of repaying debts.

There are plenty of people still in Dubai, and enjoying it, but they know they are simply biding their time - the tap on the shoulder is going to be felt by many more people yet.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

the mass exodus that loads of people predicted certainly doesn't seem to have happened...schools are still full, for example, so even if people have left (and people would always be leaving in the summer) there are bags of people still coming here...

MM, xx
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Some have moved up to Dubai from Abu Dhabi for cheaper housing. I know a fair few who have done this and changed schools too. A lot of people are commuting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to work in the construction sector.

Last edited by soukie; Sep 11th 2009 at 1:27 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Some have moved up to Dubai from Abu Dhabi for cheaper housing. I know a fair few who have done this and changed schools too. A lot of people are commuting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to work in the construction sector.
I've met heaps moving from Sharjah too - couldn't afford Dubai rent or get school places last year so they've moved this year.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
the mass exodus that loads of people predicted certainly doesn't seem to have happened...schools are still full, for example, so even if people have left (and people would always be leaving in the summer) there are bags of people still coming here...

MM, xx
These "bags of people"........ what jobs are they coming out to do? I accept that plenty of people remain in Dubai, but I'm sceptical about large numbers of newcomers arriving.

What fields or industries are they mainly working in?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think there's been a mass exodus of westerners, but other segments of the population surely have taken a hit. I see far fewer labourers out and about these days, and the mini-buses carting labourers to and from the camps, often at twice the speed limit), have largely disappeared. Plenty of low-income Indian white collar workers have been sacked and left. Overall, Dubai's population has surely declined, 10-15% possibly?

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your company is not Dubai-focused, things aren't quite too bad. My firm is in the architecture sector and most of our projects are outside Dubai, elsewhere in the middle east region. We did sack quite a few people in January but we're now (slowly) starting to hire again.

Originally Posted by The Dean
These "bags of people"........ what jobs are they coming out to do? I accept that plenty of people remain in Dubai, but I'm sceptical about large numbers of newcomers arriving.

What fields or industries are they mainly working in?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told that the majority of new kids in our school are from Sharjah and AD, due the rents dropping so dramatically people have moved around alot. I have been to that many leaving do's I have lost count now!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:07 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

JPS had some kids leave in the summer (nothing out of the ordinary) and these places were quickly snapped up, still a waiting list.

Traffic seems to be back to normal i.e. busy.

It looks to me like the mass exodus has not happened. The company I work for is still recruiting aggressively. A lot of our business is Africa and the rest of the Gulf, but we have Dubai as the location for our head office as it has easy access to pretty much every country we need to get to.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
JPS had some kids leave in the summer (nothing out of the ordinary) and these places were quickly snapped up, still a waiting list.

Traffic seems to be back to normal i.e. busy.

It looks to me like the mass exodus has not happened. The company I work for is still recruiting aggressively. A lot of our business is Africa and the rest of the Gulf, but we have Dubai as the location for our head office as it has easy access to pretty much every country we need to get to.
I have to agree but I am gutted, the school run is taking me well over and hour!! mental.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I have been to that many leaving do's I have lost count now!
Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I have to agree but I am gutted, the school run is taking me well over and hour!! mental.
talk about hedging your bets, bc, lol...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.