British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Why the FJ Cruiser bashing?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/why-fj-cruiser-bashing-752908/)

Debowing Mar 27th 2012 9:21 am

Why the FJ Cruiser bashing??

I was seriously considering getting one while in Dubai...
The black stealth edition...

I see people are taking the piss out of this car? Is it a Jumera-Jane-Mobil??

Or is it an International City Dweller-Mobil?

Seriously if I hadn't moved to Thailand, I would have gotten myslef one. (stealth version) Strangely there are no FJs in Thailand...Here I drive a pick-up, as do most in Thailand...

shiva Mar 27th 2012 9:24 am

Re: Why the FJ Cruiser bashing??

capable off road, awful rear/side visibility and largely driven by grade A twats

Meow Mar 27th 2012 9:29 am

It's ugly and driven by people who are foolish enough to think it's a style statement.

shiva Mar 27th 2012 9:31 am

oh and the interior is just nasty

tayls123 Mar 27th 2012 9:37 am

if you like it, buy it. simple enough. don't let other people dictate what you want to drive.

commander Mar 27th 2012 11:15 am

Car for *****. Driven by *****. The black stealth edition promotes you to the complete and utter wankspanner status.

But hey, like the above poster says, drive what you like. I have a prado so really no room to comment ;-)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2012 11:19 am

I didn't really look at them too much but when I did peer inside the interior looked a bit naff.

LaLaLayla Mar 27th 2012 11:36 am

Whatever car you drive, someone will criticise you for it. Personally, I wouldn't have one for many reasons, but partly because I imagine them being driven by male hairdressers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not the kind of image I would want to project.

The car you drive in a very personal thing. Buy whatever you like. I imagine people might criticise me for the cars I drive, but I don't give a monkey's, tbh.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2012 11:57 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 9974711)
Whatever car you drive, someone will criticise you for it. Personally, I wouldn't have one for many reasons, but partly because I imagine them being driven by male hairdressers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not the kind of image I would want to project.

The car you drive in a very personal thing. Buy whatever you like. I imagine people might criticise me for the cars I drive, but I don't give a monkey's, tbh.

What do you drive?

Bluelionesse Mar 27th 2012 11:59 am

I love our FJ cruiser - drive it on and offroad. Yes the visibility isn't good but there is a reversing sensor and I can see out the front and sides just fine. Capable beast offroad (but not half as good as my Nissan Patrol SWB, in my opinion anyway, hubby may not agree), reliable, fun.

Given the amount of sand we take into it every weekend the sparse, washable interior is just great. Good camping car too.

It's not beautiful, in fact it's quite ugly, but it's different and does us just fine.

Unfortunately the average FJ driver is a 25 year old Emirati male and their onroad driving skills can be less than perfect. But that does mean that people get out of the way for ME on roundabouts too!

Oyibopeppeh Mar 27th 2012 12:59 pm

I like them a lot, but just not practical for me and my family.

The matt black wrapped finish especially. And with a TRD supercharger it's a real beast...

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9974856)
I like them a lot, but just not practical for me and my family.

The matt black wrapped finish especially. And with a TRD supercharger it's a real beast...

Isn't that kind of paint job just a massive pain in the bollocks?

Sure I read somewhere about it needing to be cleaned mega-regularly to keep it in decent nick?

Oyibopeppeh Mar 27th 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9974882)
Isn't that kind of paint job just a massive pain in the bollocks?

Sure I read somewhere about it needing to be cleaned mega-regularly to keep it in decent nick?

It's not a paint job fella....it's a stick-on coating. Matt is generally kept tidy with a nano-sealant which can last for years.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9974896)
It's not a paint job fella....it's a stick-on coating. Matt is generally kept tidy with a nano-sealant which can last for years.

Ah I see.

Meow Mar 27th 2012 1:31 pm

But it just looks like undercoat :thumbdown: