Why Dubai?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Stifler will become famous soon enough
Default Why Dubai?

Can someone fill me in on the attraction with Dubai?

Could be going there later this year. I hear people raving about it but why? How is life over there? What's the deal?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Dubai?

Tax free living, lovely climate...somin' different...there the pluses, oh, and relative ease of getting a visa....the neg's, bloomin' hot summer, well busy, well expensive to get accomodation, schools, decent jobs aren't easy to snag either.

Plenty of other cities and countries in the ME that hold appeal, but then for differing reasons...all depends on what you want out of life and what your lifestyle is.

The other plus to dxb, there pretty liberal with booze and allowing women to drive/work and dress.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Stifler will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
Tax free living, lovely climate...somin' different...there the pluses, oh, and relative ease of getting a visa....the neg's, bloomin' hot summer, well busy, well expensive to get accomodation, schools, decent jobs aren't easy to snag either.

Plenty of other cities and countries in the ME that hold appeal, but then for differing reasons...all depends on what you want out of life and what your lifestyle is.

The other plus to dxb, there pretty liberal with booze and allowing women to drive/work and dress.
A lot of people seem to rave about shopping and consumer goods. Why? Cheap? Good quality branded merchandise? How about general cost of living?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:48 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stifler
A lot of people seem to rave about shopping and consumer goods. Why? Cheap? Good quality branded merchandise? How about general cost of living?
1) Direct trade route with the zombie populated manufacturing nations

2) During DSF, the gov subsidizes retailers so they can sell cheap and people are attracted to dubai for a month, but as with everything here, it won't last forever.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:16 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5
1) Direct trade route with the zombie populated manufacturing nations

2) During DSF, the gov subsidizes retailers so they can sell cheap and people are attracted to dubai for a month, but as with everything here, it won't last forever.

ever the pessimist, but i have to agree with u.

hope u r keeping well...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:23 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stifler
hi and welcome to the forum stifler.

cheap..... only relatively speaking.....
>30% increases in accomodation rents, year on year....
>the only city to ever jump 10 places in the list of worlds-most-expensive cities....
>inflation of over 5%
>salaries and rent allowances DO NOT keep pace with the increasing cost of living
>a depreciating dollar, means a weaker local currency (As its pegged to the $)
>Over priced and cheap quality housing

hmmmmmm......

good climate (neglecting may-sept), a global city, as good as having a western city in the ME, tax free (for now.... LOTS of indirect taxes), good education for western expat kids..... basically a playboys playground....

I guess that about sums it up. Hope I wasnt as pessimistic as T over there.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

darwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant future

What's the UAE like on the chick front?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:19 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find plenty of people in Dubai who seem to do nothing but moan about the place and point out all the shortcomings, but for some odd reason, they never do the obvious thing and leave... draw your own conclusions!

No, Dubai's not perfect, but then nowhere is. You probably won't set yourself up for life here - you'd need to go somewhere like Saudi and dodge the bombs and bullets for a few years to do that (they have to offer mega-money there or nobody would go) - but you can enjoy a lifestyle that you simply wouldn't get in the UK *and* you'll be able to save more.

The whole trick, IMHO, is to make sure you get out and take advantage of all the stuff you can do here, and don't just become another expat barfly.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:04 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by GarethR
You'll find plenty of people in Dubai who seem to do nothing but moan about the place and point out all the shortcomings, but for some odd reason, they never do the obvious thing and leave... draw your own conclusions!

No, Dubai's not perfect, but then nowhere is. You probably won't set yourself up for life here - you'd need to go somewhere like Saudi and dodge the bombs and bullets for a few years to do that (they have to offer mega-money there or nobody would go) - but you can enjoy a lifestyle that you simply wouldn't get in the UK *and* you'll be able to save more.

The whole trick, IMHO, is to make sure you get out and take advantage of all the stuff you can do here, and don't just become another expat barfly.

and i thought i was the Oracle? Wise words Gareth, my son...

Most people use Dubai as a stepping stoe to greener pastures, but some of us, like myself need to stick around a little longer till i decide whats going on in my life, so for now, Dubai is home.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:38 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Great quote, and oh how true. Those that go out and find a life in DUbai enjoy it much more than those can't be bothered to do out but moan....

TAke it easy
TS
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:59 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Bugger!!
and don't just become another expat barfly.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:02 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly!!!

I know for some reason I sound condescending on this place often, but frankly, I do like it here (more for the friends I've made than the place itself). The fact that I can wakeboard, kitesurf, sail, pretty much anything outdoors year round (yep, even in summer).

However, the point has come and gone where the novelty of living in dubai has worn off, well off, and one of the big reasons I am staying here another year is the ability to save 90% of my income and take a year or 2 off and travel after I leave.

Living in one huge construction site (dubai), especially one whose planning is done by idiots, takes its toll after a while.

PS. Went gokarting last night out at the place near Jebel Ali kite beach, it is AWESOME.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:00 am
W10

People reserve the right to criticise - and usually do wherever you live. If you listened to me listing London's bad points you wouldn't want to live there but in my opinion it's the greatest city in the world.

Dubai has its problems (which probably seem worse than they actually are because of the excellent marketing job the city does) and it takes some people a lot of time to adjust to life here, but I've actually grown to like it a lot.

Take the hype with a pinch of salt, go and find a life and see whats out there and you'll enjoy your time here.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:39 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
People reserve the right to criticise - and usually do wherever you live
For sure. It's the ones who seem to do *nothing but* criticise who eventually get you thinking "For Christ's sake, either change the record or just leave!"
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:42 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

well said that man