British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Why does everyone hate Doha so much? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/why-does-everyone-hate-doha-so-much-829717/)

joedolce Mar 26th 2014 4:46 pm

Why does everyone hate Doha so much?

There is very rarely a single even neutral word said about it. Myself and the wife are moving over for a couple of years in the summer (although we won't be there the full year). We don't really go out much and certainly don't expect it to be Dubai but is it really that bad? I've been on some other forums and heard it's ok but on here it seems to be as popular as the local sex offender.

So what does everyone hate about it? I've heard 'infrastuctute' and 'roads' but surely there must be something deep seated and fundamentally wrong to attract the hatred of so many people.

OleJanx Mar 26th 2014 5:59 pm

Re: Why does everyone hate Doha so much?

Originally Posted by joedolce (Post 11191893)
There is very rarely a single even neutral word said about it. Myself and the wife are moving over for a couple of years in the summer (although we won't be there the full year). We don't really go out much and certainly don't expect it to be Dubai but is it really that bad? I've been on some other forums and heard it's ok but on here it seems to be as popular as the local sex offender.

So what does everyone hate about it? I've heard 'infrastuctute' and 'roads' but surely there must be something deep seated and fundamentally wrong to attract the hatred of so many people.

OK. Problems with Qatar: It is a small place and can quickly become claustrophobic. Qatari's are notoriously awkward, and appear to take pleasure in it being so. It is disorganized and at times utterly frustrating, and if you have an awkward sponsor, difficult to escape, even for just a weekend. People say 'Oh, it's at the same stage as Dubai was 20 years ago.' This is over optimistic horseshit. Doha is improved upon from when I first went there (1982) but it is still very much its own place. Some people hate it for its small minded insularity, but the one thing to remember is that it's still a better bet than Saudi or Kuwait. I spent almost ten years there. Some days I couldn't wait to leave, other times it was great. You takes your chances, and make of it what you will. If you go prepared to hate it, then you will. If you give it a chance, it will return the complement, just be careful about working for a local company. All to often it leads to disappointment and delusionment.

Crewegirl Mar 27th 2014 3:28 am

I don't hate it.

Yes the traffic is a nightmare but I like living here and have a good life.
I think if you come with an open mind and stay away from the moaners you'll be fine.
Good luck with the move

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 27th 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by joedolce (Post 11191893)

I've only been a few times but think it's a proper shaped city. West Bay and the Corniche are quite cool, some fantastic looking buildings and I like the way it's organically grown out around the centre...compared to Dubai which is just growing along the beach.

It's a bit mental and a bit chaotic with traffic and take a wrong turn and it feels like you're in Baghdad (I imagine) but friends over there seem to enjoy themselves and have a good time.

britexpat76 Mar 27th 2014 9:32 am

I like Doha, sure its not Dubai - and thats a good thing. There is always something to do if you look for it. As people have said a lot depends on what you make of it and who you get into bed with employer wise...........

A weekend out of the place every 2 months keeps me sane.

abbey08 Mar 27th 2014 10:23 am

Ive been here two and a half years and in that time have had the chance to move to Dubai and Abu Dhabi but turned both offers down to stay in Doha. In the end I didn't see the point in moving from one part of the desert to another part - its still the desert. We are here in Doha with two young children under five and have good well paid jobs. The reason we moved here was because our life was centred on work and children and here it is the same - we could be anywhere to be honest. There are loads of things for kids to do in connection with the school or local clubs and add to that the compund is a safe environment for the kids to play in and they have loads of friends. You need to adjust your expectations from your employer if they are local or government and they will not train you or promote you or invest in you. They will however pay you a lot more than you will earn in your home country - this is the main reason why we are all here. No one will pay you a high salary to go somewhere really nice. The traffic is really bad and the locals can be annoying but you learn to live with this - that said I now have a few locals who are good friends. The weather eight months a year is excellent and there are parks and places to wander around on the weekend. If you can get the right package and can find a school for your children I would say 3 - 5 years in Qatar is easy and well worth it for the money and the exposure to a different way of life.

Alexa Mar 27th 2014 3:01 pm

My 2 cents.
We call it , somewhat affectionate, "Dohell". It's shite, but you have learned to live with it,and have found things you actually like..somewhat.
Why ?
1. we do 'have " everything. Restaurants, beaches, clubs, the desert, shopping malls, a waterpark ,schools, universities etc. Yes, it is all here.
Now, you'd think "oh great, so what is the problem? That would be your expectation. You would think that going to all those places is fantastic.
and here is it...It is actually NOT.
Let's start with the restaurants.
If I put down anything between 500 to a 1000 QR , I do not only pay for the food, but for the whole experience. And that experience is usually shite..you may be lucky with the food, but the rest. Forget it. It is USUALLY (there are exceptions) not happening. Due to bad or non existent training or simple job frustration etc, those people can't pull it of.

2. Beaches. Yes, there are beaches. They have no or unsatisfactory amenities. Which is not necessarily a problem, but IF you stay later than 2 or 3 in the afternoon, be prepared for some rather unpleasant experiences...because thisis the time when those not keen on getting sun come out...in droves..with no mercy.

3. Schools. Yes, there are schools for your little darlings. Getting them INTO a school is , for many, very, very difficult. Due to lack of spaces. The education itself...well, IMHO, not at all adequate.

4. Clubs....If you like partly barechested, hairy individuals with gold coins around their necks leering at your boobs and butt (if you are woman), then you are in heaven. If you are a man...easy pickings of drunk ,tight clad girlies staggering about...be careful, they may puke in your lap.

5. Shopping. Plenty of malls and supermarkets around. And they have to be...as you have to go to 2 or 3 of them to get what you need...if you are lucky. Tip :If you see something you like, and it is not a local or Indian product, make sure you stock up...you might not see it again for a VERY long time. Prices..well, do not get me started...:(

Oh...and all that gets boring real quick...unless you are one of those people who spend their weekends at brunches imbibing copiously. And the evenings at home and the in restos wearing beer and wine goggles. They "soften" the focus somewhat I have been told..

To make a long story a little shorter...yes, everything is available...how usuble it actually is, is for you to decide and does depend on your level of tolerance and patience. (you need A LOT)

Welcome to Dohell :)

OriginalSunshine Mar 27th 2014 3:27 pm

It's a dusty sh*t hole, with a bit of a "city", pathetic "malls", not much entertainment, and you can only leave if your boss is around and says you can.

Meow Mar 28th 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11193255)
It's a dusty sh*t hole, with a bit of a "city", pathetic "malls", not much entertainment, and you can only leave if your boss is around and says you can.

That has to be a huge negative. How do our Qatar based posters feel about that?

Nowhere in the ME is perfect, but Qatar is attracting a lot of negative press right now as the press spotlight is on them. There have been numerous articles about how badly labourers are treated. A bit like how Dubai was a few years back, but thankfully conditions for many here have improved, although life is still lousy for the poorly paid.

Venezuelan007 Mar 28th 2014 4:19 pm

I've been here less than 2 months. All I can say is, its not that bad.

Its a place were ppl is amazed by one of natures most bizarre fenomenons RAIN.

Me on the other side, im amazed by some other bizarre things, such as Landcruisers caravans to the desert, ppl paying 300000QR in cash for a toy, or suicidal drivers.

I havent experience summer yet. But Ive been told Im going to wish I was dead, I guess Ill have to be there.

Ive been to a few bars, and its quite depressing. Im just hoping Its just bad luck and others that i havent been yet are better.

I dont even know why u guys complain so much about it either. british passport here is almost royalty. Qataries... Then... U. Its not that easy for us non-european ones ;)

Sure, its not the place were i would live the rest of my days... Still is not a hellhole I cant deal with for a couple of years. But what the hell do I know? Im from Venezuela

OriginalSunshine Mar 29th 2014 5:14 am

Give it 6 months, then come back and tell us how you feel. Or 12 months and you can't go away on vacation.

Imho, summer is the least of the "problems" about the place - it's the same all over the ME - hot.

Venezuelan007 Mar 29th 2014 8:03 am

To me, the worst is the attitude of some ppl here. Locals do as they please cause this is their country and they have money, indians do as they please, cause they think this is their country... And in the end there is anarchy even in a state that controls everything.
You can see the uncivilized nature of this society, just by looking on how they drive.
Money definetly dont buy, brains, education or manners.
And the sad part is that u get used to it, and become like them, cause its all about surviving. So u can see british and americans (among others) who in their countries dont have certain attitudes and here they do, cause is just the way things are.
Anyway, apart of that, is not so bad hehehe

joedolce Mar 29th 2014 9:40 am

Some interesting things to think about. I'm still very excited about the move. I'm not expecting much from the place, just a nice apartment and a nice job. Vacations won't be a problem because of my employer and I don't do bars and clubs. However, I'm sure other things will get to me, but I've just got to remember it's only for a couple of years and I can spend up to 12 weeks of the year somewhere else if I want.

Alexa Mar 29th 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by joedolce (Post 11195565)
Some interesting things to think about. I'm still very excited about the move. I'm not expecting much from the place, just a nice apartment and a nice job. Vacations won't be a problem because of my employer and I don't do bars and clubs. However, I'm sure other things will get to me, but I've just got to remember it's only for a couple of years and I can spend up to 12 weeks of the year somewhere else if I want.

Ah yes...a nice apartment and a nice job...:rofl:

Make sure that your salary makes up for the lack of both and more. :)

joedolce Mar 29th 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 11195568)
Ah yes...a nice apartment and a nice job...:rofl:

Make sure that your salary makes up for the lack of both and more. :)

So there are no nice jobs or apartments anywhere in Doha?

My employer is British, and from speaking to people who already work there it seems like a good job. Certainly better than the equivalent role in the UK.

Who knows, maybe I'll hate Doha as much as you in 6 months time but all I can do is go with an open mind. The worse case scenario is that I save some money and move on elsewhere in 2 years.