Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Who has lost their jobs?

Who has lost their jobs?

Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has lost their jobs?

Sorry to hear this Ned, what industry are you in?

This place is pretty brutal
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:23 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander

Hi All

Been following this thread with interest. My DH was headhunted last year whilst we were in Al Ain completing a project. We accepted a new position in St Petersburg and sold up everything, returned to our home country to visit family prior to flying to Russia, then at the 11th hour we were told the project had been put on hold "due to the global financial climate". We had no choice but to return to AD to seek other opportunities. DH is still in AA staying with friends living on borrowed time. The company has retained his contract and are desperately trying to place him in a project somewhere else but we have no idea if we will be paid this month or not and if any of the prjects will actually come to anything. I have returned to my home country and am seeking employment there. It is a huge waiting game really. I wish you all good luck in your pursuit of employment and security.

Love

Larnie
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

Hi, im a bit late on the scene here so im assuming you ladies and gents had the networking meet already? If there is another one I would be most keen to meet.

Many thanks and Regards
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:51 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by larnie
Hi All

Been following this thread with interest. My DH was headhunted last year whilst we were in Al Ain completing a project. We accepted a new position in St Petersburg and sold up everything, returned to our home country to visit family prior to flying to Russia, then at the 11th hour we were told the project had been put on hold "due to the global financial climate". We had no choice but to return to AD to seek other opportunities. DH is still in AA staying with friends living on borrowed time. The company has retained his contract and are desperately trying to place him in a project somewhere else but we have no idea if we will be paid this month or not and if any of the prjects will actually come to anything. I have returned to my home country and am seeking employment there. It is a huge waiting game really. I wish you all good luck in your pursuit of employment and security.

Love

Larnie
very sorry to hear of your situation, all the best with the coming weeks, feel absolutely free to come on here and vent your spleen, you'll find plenty of empathetic souls!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
Yes thanks BC. I had a nice time too . We had another reprive today even though HR were around. We have been expecting bad news since mid December and are in the process of trying to plan for whatever.
It's crap waiting and not knowing - feeling life is on hold until we get some news or decisions made.

But as I said this morning - we all look good in black

Thanks again
Hi Poitin

Nice to meet you yesterday.

-
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:35 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander

I work in IT (or I did....).

Actually, I'll be more specific. I am currently working at du. They are laying off a shed load of contractors at the moment.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:46 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
I work in IT (or I did....).

Actually, I'll be more specific. I am currently working at du. They are laying off a shed load of contractors at the moment.
Oh I am sorry to hear that.Hope things fall your way in the near future.

Du eh?...Not going the same way as Nortel is it????
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:51 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eva
Oh I am sorry to hear that.Hope things fall your way in the near future.

Du eh?...Not going the same way as Nortel is it????
I don't think the govt. here would allow that.

I understand that du axed a load of expat contractors sometime in 2007, but ended up having to re-recruit as, internally, things pretty much stopped. No one would make a decision and they had no one to blame.

The same will happen in this situation.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:53 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the govt. here would allow that.

I understand that du axed a load of expat contractors sometime in 2007, but ended up having to re-recruit as, internally, things pretty much stopped. No one would make a decision and they had no one to blame.

The same will happen in this situation.

Point.

Prop up the shams.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larnie
Hi All

Love

Larnie

Larnie I had no idea!! I honestly thought you two were safely ensconced in Russia with a new challenge ahead of you!!! Fingers crossed for you both xx
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

I would not wish the UAE on my nearest and dearest
I had the same prob ... in fact i wouldnt even wish it on a distant associate ... in fact I dont even wish it on the people that say they like it there
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:42 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mantronic
I had the same prob ... in fact i wouldnt even wish it on a distant associate ... in fact I dont even wish it on the people that say they like it there
You seem to spend plenty of time thinking about it or discussing it.
Strange that.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
You seem to spend plenty of time thinking about it or discussing it.
Strange that.
failure Eva, he has to come to terms with it
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
How bitter you sound. Sounds like you (& those of us who like our lives) are better off without you being here...

-
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:01 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow
How bitter you sound. Sounds like you (& those of us who like our lives) are better off without you being here...

-
your right there Meow, he wouldn't have lasted five minutes anyway, even if anyone had wanted to employ him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.