Who has a degree?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:11 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who has a degree?

No Degree here, left school as soon as I finished my GCSE's! Didn't do me any harm. The mates I have who did get degree's had loads of trouble finding suitable positions, I've never been out of work!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
see, that wont happen, as i am in total control of my work area. Nothing electrical goes on in my vicinity that i dont know about. That is crucial when pissing around with 11,000volts...

Ill only pop my clogs if i make a foopa...nobody else.
Fair enough...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i've got an economics degree...it was relevant when i started working, but experience now is much more important...

MM, xx
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
No Degree here, left school as soon as I finished my GCSE's! Didn't do me any harm. The mates I have who did get degree's had loads of trouble finding suitable positions, I've never been out of work!
exactly,

My friend has a 1st class honours in Astro Physics from St Andrews university and a Msc in Communications..

When NASA never came in for him he was kinda screwed..

He pours a magic pint at my local though
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:18 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peggypie
Was wondering how many people actually have got a degree?

Who hasn't but still managed to get a job.

My husband has twenty years experience but no degree, as he came through the trades route to his position.

We are getting conflicting info so thought we'd ask you guys.

Thanks

DH doesn't have a Degree either but like Autonomy said, DH does have specific qualifications in his field (which as we all know now have to be attested back in the UK at the FCO and UAE Emb in London)

Been in the ME for 12 years, in his trade for over 25 years and worked for 6 different companies, none of which have asked for a Degree
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:20 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sinderelle
DH doesn't have a Degree either but like Autonomy said, DH does have specific qualifications in his field (which as we all know now have to be attested back in the UK at the FCO and UAE Emb in London)

Been in the ME for 12 years, in his trade for over 25 years and worked for 6 different companies, none of which have asked for a Degree
Funny you should say that, I'd forgotten about the NVQ I have, but this is the only job I've ever been asked to show any qualifications, relevant or not.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

peggypie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you lot, you've been a great help
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:07 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Confucius
I won't let a piece of paper stand between me and greatness...
I think Im gonna go back to bed and try today again.......

I just found myself agreeing with Confi...............

Nothing after my Highers, and the only trouble I have had is how certain Gov Relations people classify me when they apply for my residence visa's!!!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I left school after A-levels in 1999 and worked my way up from receptionist in a tech company to head of communications for a $5 billion company today. (And no Conf, it wasn't due to my boobs or any other part of my anatomy...)

Every single employer I have ever had has asked me why I didn't go to university and I never have a problem answering this question, because it was clearly the right choice for me.

I think not having a degree is actually a refreshing change for a lot of employers because they are so used to candidates with an array of impressive qualifications that when one comes along without them, they're actually quite interested to find out more about them.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:32 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
I left school after A-levels in 1999 and worked my way up from receptionist in a tech company to head of communications for a $5 billion company today. (And no Conf, it wasn't due to my boobs or any other part of my anatomy...)

Every single employer I have ever had has asked me why I didn't go to university and I never have a problem answering this question, because it was clearly the right choice for me.

I think not having a degree is actually a refreshing change for a lot of employers because they are so used to candidates with an array of impressive qualifications that when one comes along without them, they're actually quite interested to find out more about them.
As I handle regional recruitment and training for a multinational, I have to say that we have tried hiring recently graduated Engineers and have found that it was a waste of time..... Theory is fine for the corridors of higher learning, but means damn all in the real world.... Gimme someone with experience and street-smart...........

When a CV crosses my desk now, I dont even bother looking at the Education section, I go straight to Experience.......
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peggypie
Was wondering how many people actually have got a degree?

Who hasn't but still managed to get a job.

My husband has twenty years experience but no degree, as he came through the trades route to his position.

We are getting conflicting info so thought we'd ask you guys.

Thanks
I'ev got nowt, GCSE's from school and thats it, left school and started working , learned my trade that way.

Althoguh on my visa it has to say 'clerk' as thats the rule if you don't have a degree.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:50 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I won't let a piece of paper stand between me and greatness...
Well said there...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I went to undergraduate and graduate law school recently. Saw a lot of students from very good universities with straight A's at A'Level who I would not trust in a commercial situation. No common sense and certainly no commercial acumen. Yet they walked straight into Training Contracts with the top commercial law firms because they had been to the right Uni.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I'ev got nowt, GCSE's from school and thats it, left school and started working , learned my trade that way.

Althoguh on my visa it has to say 'clerk' as thats the rule if you don't have a degree.

My visa says: Investment Controller?!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
My visa says: Investment Controller?!
I think you have to have a Degree in order to have "Manager" on your visa. I think that is important for many non-EU nationals as without the word manager on their Visa it can make it more difficult to get Visas for other Gulf countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.