Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

who commutes from the Marina/JLT to Abu Dhabi?

who commutes from the Marina/JLT to Abu Dhabi?

Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road
Default who commutes from the Marina/JLT to Abu Dhabi?

Hi all

With the way rents are in Dubai and with hoe ridiculous they remain in Abu Dhabi I am considering commuting from JLT to Abu Dhabi. I can get a 2 bed in JLT for about 70k or a 3 bed for 90k as compared to the small 1 bed I have in Khalifa City for 110k. Anyway I am curious about the following:

1- How long on average does it take you to do the commute onto Abu Dhabi island?

2- What do you think it costs gas-wise to do this 5 days a week?

3- What are utility prices in Dubai? I hear water and electric can be heft.

4- How tired, angry or unhappy are you every day because of the commute?

5- In reality is it worth it in the end?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who commutes from the Marina/JLT to Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by niddy
Hi all

With the way rents are in Dubai and with hoe ridiculous they remain in Abu Dhabi I am considering commuting from JLT to Abu Dhabi. I can get a 2 bed in JLT for about 70k or a 3 bed for 90k as compared to the small 1 bed I have in Khalifa City for 110k. Anyway I am curious about the following:

1- How long on average does it take you to do the commute onto Abu Dhabi island?

2- What do you think it costs gas-wise to do this 5 days a week?

3- What are utility prices in Dubai? I hear water and electric can be heft.

4- How tired, angry or unhappy are you every day because of the commute?

5- In reality is it worth it in the end?

Many thanks.
i dread having to drive to ad, it's souless, and bloody dangerous, they really are maniacs (drive on the inside bit of the fast lane where there isn't even enough space for them...) and i would lose the will to live if i had to do it every day, twice a day...

MM, xx
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

dangerous and boring.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:14 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also considering the commute - for what I pay in an apartment share in AD I can get my own pad in the Gardens or Marina and no parking hassles (Abu Dhabi has serious parking problems in some areas...serious as in it can take an hour to find a parking space if you come home at the wrong time of day).

I have a good friend who was near me in the Tourist Club living in a box basically with no decent parking. He now has a huge one bedroom apartment in the Gardens with ample parking and it's very quiet and peaceful. He says the commute is no big deal.

I think the main reason for me wanting to move though is I just don't see why I should fleece some ungrately and unruly local's pocket with a massively inflated rental rate. Two hours in the car some days is no big deal for me...and when I am seeing clients in Dubai (which I do at least once a week) it will be heaven-they even built a train for me play with

N.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

I do it every day from the far side of dxb near int city (not to island tho'), so even 30 mins further. Used to live in Khalifa. I have no problems - wouldn't go back now, quality of life is hugely improved. 60 - 80 mins each way listening to podcasts. The secret is to stay on the left lane at a steady 120 - 125 and just overtake trucks every couple of minutes.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by B Bear
I do it every day from the far side of dxb near int city (not to island tho'), so even 30 mins further. Used to live in Khalifa. I have no problems - wouldn't go back now, quality of life is hugely improved. 60 - 80 mins each way listening to podcasts. The secret is to stay on the left lane at a steady 120 - 125 and just overtake trucks every couple of minutes.
I do hope that was a typo as doing that in the LEFT hand lane will seriously shorten your life!
I commute from the Greens to Al Taweelah every day and the journey there is not too bad (mind you I leave at 6). The journey back can be a bit like wacky races though so as Bear said I opt for a steady 125 and avoid the race that occurs in the left hand lane.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 954RR
I do hope that was a typo as doing that in the LEFT hand lane will seriously shorten your life!
I commute from the Greens to Al Taweelah every day and the journey there is not too bad (mind you I leave at 6). The journey back can be a bit like wacky races though so as Bear said I opt for a steady 125 and avoid the race that occurs in the left hand lane.
- ooooops yes - I meant the right lane - which ironically is the easiest going and often fastest lane. However due to machismo and arrogance it is derided as being for 'trucks only' by some folks I know.....muppets.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

I do it the other way, live in AD and commute to Dubai Media City. I live just off Najda St between Electra (7th) and 9th St. It takes me 1 hr 20 mins to get to work in Dubai. I pay 150k rent for a 1 bed appartment (found the place at the top of the rental prices in Jan this year - feeling a little fleeced to say the least). It's small but nice.

I'd still not go to live in Dubai as I find it pretty soul-less. I much prefer Abu Dhabi life. Even if I did save myself 50k. I'd rather do the commute (although I am lucky to have meetings one or two days a week in Abu Dhabi so work from home those days). I am looking to find somewhere to live off the island so cheaper and closer to work but still nearer Abu Dhabi.

The drive is OK if you keep your wits about you and have eyes in the back of your head. Just be aware. And I thoroughly recommend getting an iPod and downloading podcasts and audiobooks. Get yourself into a good book and you'll actually look forward to the uninterrupted pleasure of an hour or so of good listening. Lord of the Rings (BBC 1980's dramatisation) brightened up my commute for about 2 weeks. BBC podcasts are good too and free. E.g. Fighting Talk if you're into sports - very amusing.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shandolier
And I thoroughly recommend getting an iPod and downloading podcasts and audiobooks. Get yourself into a good book and you'll actually look forward to the uninterrupted pleasure of an hour or so of good listening.
I agree, a good book makes the journey much more enjoyable. I have listened to a number since my arrival. The earphones also cut out the constant pinging from the car when I exceed 120, which is a bonus.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

I do a daily drive from Marina to Cornich leave at 6am get to AD by 7am, return 4pm and am in Dubai around 5ish.

I must be the wacky racers you guys are talking about. If the driver will not move from the left it's a local, if he knows how to race thats me.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

Marina to the Corniche in an hour?! Jesus you must be moving. Guess you have a tank of a car - must feel safer than my Yaris.

As for earphones, no fear I'd like to hear impending death as it might give me a chance to move. I plug the iPod into the car speakers using a tape deck converter. You can also do it with a CD player I think.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear
- ooooops yes - I meant the right lane - which ironically is the easiest going and often fastest lane. However due to machismo and arrogance it is derided as being for 'trucks only' by some folks I know.....muppets.
hey i use all the lanes as necessary, and not afraid of using the first lane, was taught the correct way, you start off in the first lane, and then you overtake in the next and then move back..... obviously some of the "muppets" here just use whatever they fancy.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zico2009
I do a daily drive from Marina to Cornich leave at 6am get to AD by 7am, return 4pm and am in Dubai around 5ish.

I must be the wacky racers you guys are talking about. If the driver will not move from the left it's a local, if he knows how to race thats me.
hmh yes think that you are defo going at 160 miles an hour. but still cant quite believe that you do it 1 hour especially with the traffic jams at the bridges and before at the mo. my hubs did kca to ja in 45 mins and kca to corniche is a good 25 mins, but marina to corniche would be a little over an hour if no holds up.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

All of you that live in Dubai and do the commute, what are utility costs for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Marina or JLT? Many thanks!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

im interested in this aswell, albeit scared about the driving now, haha. whats the gas for the commute perweek, and also a bump for the utility costs in dubai

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.