Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

While You Work In The Middle East The Tax Man Will Spy On Your House In The UK.

While You Work In The Middle East The Tax Man Will Spy On Your House In The UK.

Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Peterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nicePeterrod is just really nice
Angry While You Work In The Middle East The Tax Man Will Spy On Your House In The UK.

Please read this seriously as this is the Tax Man's New Year's Gift to the hard working people in the Middle East.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01012006/14...spy-house.html

Regards

Peter
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 5:17 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: While You Work In The Middle East The Tax Man Will Spy On Your House In The UK.

Originally Posted by Peterrod
Please read this seriously as this is the Tax Man's New Year's Gift to the hard working people in the Middle East.

Regards

Peter
Ba*t**ds
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:20 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: While You Work In The Middle East The Tax Man Will Spy On Your House In The UK.

OFF TOPIC

what will if you are caught?

New Fake casanova says:

Sorry sorry for being off topic.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:43 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peterrod

Regards

Peter

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. I think all council tax bandings should be re-rated every couple of years - otherwise you get to the situation where a house built and bought 10 years ago, which was valued and banded at the time of building, is 3 bands lower than a brand new house built next door, even though the new house maybe only be half the size and half of the current value of the original one - (sorry if that doesn't make sense - but I know what I mean )
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:17 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I personally don't see anything wrong with this. I think all council tax bandings should be re-rated every couple of years - otherwise you get to the situation where a house built and bought 10 years ago, which was valued and banded at the time of building, is 3 bands lower than a brand new house built next door, even though the new house maybe only be half the size and half of the current value of the original one - (sorry if that doesn't make sense - but I know what I mean )
Yes i think that is true to a certain extent, however it is getting to the point where it's like you have big brother looking over you shoulder constantly. I guess that will be inevitable in the end though, the way society is going! You just can't do anything nowa days with out somebody knowing your business.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:37 am
W10

It doesn't make sense. Council Tax banding is based upon the value of your property at the time of the banding (or if it is new, the value the property would have been at the time of the banding had it been built)

Your house would almost certainly be in the same band as a brand new house, providing they were similar in size, number of bedrooms etc.

I don't see what's wrong with using the technology - although it really does seem unlikely that they would go to all that trouble when all you would have to do is look at the council planning records to find out who applied for planning permission for a swimming pool, extension, giant annexe wing etc.

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:40 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
It doesn't make sense. Council Tax banding is based upon the value of your property at the time of the banding (or if it is new, the value the property would have been at the time of the banding had it been built)

Your house would almost certainly be in the same band as a brand new house, providing they were similar in size, number of bedrooms etc.

I don't see what's wrong with using the technology - although it really does seem unlikely that they would go to all that trouble when all you would have to do is look at the council planning records to find out who applied for planning permission for a swimming pool, extension, giant annexe wing etc.

Well I know for a fact that wasn't/isn't true in Cheshire council area - we came out of it ok as we bought our house as one of the first built but the houses being built now, which are smaller than ours are in 3 bands above ours and our being valued at current property purchase price
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:45 am
W10

If the houses were the same spec, in the same area and the same sort of size then the residents should appeal the banding, they will win....

...unless you live near the border of two Local Authorities and one set of properties is under a different council.

My old apartment in London was a new build, I was in council tax band D. Had it been based on current prices I would have been in the highest band, paying the same council tax as a guy in a 3 million house up the road.

Last edited by W10; Jan 2nd 2006 at 9:49 am.

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:54 am
Its all good

If the houses were the same spec, in the same area and the same sort of size then the residents should appeal the banding, they will win....

Nothing really to do with me "I'm alright Jack " just thought I would add to the discussion

...unless you live near the border of two Local Authorities and one set of properties is under a different council.

No all in the same area - same development - same builders - building has been ongoing though for some years in different phases

My old apartment in London was a new build, I was in council tax band D. Had it been based on current prices I would have been in the highest band, paying the same council tax as a guy in a 3 million house up the road.

Did they ever increase the highest band as I always thought that was unfair too - didn't matter whether your house was worth 1m or 10m - same council tax
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 10:04 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing really to do with me "I'm alright Jack " just thought I would add to the discussion

No all in the same area - same development - same builders - building has been ongoing though for some years in different phases

Did they ever increase the highest band as I always thought that was unfair too - didn't matter whether your house was worth 1m or 10m - same council tax
You will also have a higher band if your property has a decent view, therefore if you have a nicer view than an identicle house up the road you will pay more.