Where to Stay

Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Andrew37 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to Stay

Hi All,
I’m planning to spend a few days in Dubai over next weekend prior to moving over permanently.
I can find loads of hotels online but I'm really not sure which area to pick to 'discover' Dubai.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ta
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:11 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to Stay

Originally Posted by Andrew37
Hi All,
I’m planning to spend a few days in Dubai over next weekend prior to moving over permanently.
I can find loads of hotels online but I'm really not sure which area to pick to 'discover' Dubai.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ta
All depends on wot sort of area u want m8. Also wot sort of budget r u looking at? There are hotels virtually in every corner of Dubai, but what sort of area wud u like to live in?

Do u want to be close to the centre of town? Do u want to be close to where u r going to be working? Do u want to be close to the beach? or close to the airport maybe?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,

Friday afternoon online booking frenzy at work means I will be staying at the Lords Hotel for 4 days.

Aside from the work question, the idea of the trip is to fill in a few gaps, where I would like to live etc etc.

So, flight booked, hotel booked (awaiting confirmation anyway), travel insurance done (ex extreme sports)... any useful do's and don'ts

thanks
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:49 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi again,

Friday afternoon online booking frenzy at work means I will be staying at the Lords Hotel for 4 days.

Aside from the work question, the idea of the trip is to fill in a few gaps, where I would like to live etc etc.

So, flight booked, hotel booked (awaiting confirmation anyway), travel insurance done (ex extreme sports)... any useful do's and don'ts

thanks
Hi Andrew,

well I can say that Lords hotel is right in my neck of the woods. Its a very nice resedential area, though I must say that if u r going before the 12th of Feb, u shud be aware of the Shopping Festival which does the traffic no favours. Traffic in that part of the city is worse than deadly. And the traffic often continues till the wee hours, especially over the weekends (wed, thurs and fri). Many activitiess related to the festival are a 2 minute walk down Al Jazeera Street (The street on which Lords Hotel is located).

U will literally be in the heart of Dubais Downtown area...... very dense resedential area and its also full of hotels. Very tourist friendly and u r bound to see loads of them. Be sure to enjoy the roof top pool if the weather isnt too cold.... the views of Downtown Dubai are stunning.

Taxis will be very easy to flag down right from the front of the hotel. So commuting shudnt be a problem in that sense, but remember the traffic chaos till the 12th of Feb. If ur driving during the festival, god help u. lol.

So when r u going? And dont hesitate to ask any more q's. I am always happy to help out.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Ah !!! So arriving on 4th Feb should be fun............

I did read that driving is considered an extreme sport in Dubai...lol

Other Q's - having never been to Dubai I have loads, but that's the purpose of the visit.

Any places that might be good to visit?
Stuff to do / avoid ?
Places to eat / not eat ?
Do's and Don'ts?
Nearest purveyor of Guinness ?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:50 pm
The Oracle

Ah !!! So arriving on 4th Feb should be fun............

I did read that driving is considered an extreme sport in Dubai...lol

Other Q's - having never been to Dubai I have loads, but that's the purpose of the visit.

Any places that might be good to visit?
Stuff to do / avoid ?
Places to eat / not eat ?
Do's and Don'ts?
Nearest purveyor of Guinness ?
Ok... not to worry. Thats what ppl like me r here for. I will sort out ur q's.

Good places to visit:
1) Dubai museum - the history of Dubai might interest u.
2) The Heritage village - Just tell the cabbie and he will get u down there.
3) Karama Shopping Area - again the cabbie will get u there (has some of the cheapest brand names in the world)
4) Naif souk - A fascinating maze of shops and stalls.
5) Jumeirah beach - just for a drive by to get a glimpse of the gogeous sea green water.
6) Wild wadi - A water theme park (weather permitting)
7) Malls - Deira City Centre, Bur Juman, Lamcy Plaza, Al Ghurair City (close to where u will be), The Gardens (bit far off, but will be worth seeing as its due to open in Feb.
8) Grand Cineplex - Fantastic outing for a good film.

Stuff to do/avoid:
1) Do not chat up local women
2) Dont mess around with local youngsters.
3) Dont mess about with heavily tinted cars on the road.
4) Dont get so drunk that u collapse - jail will follow!
5) Do NOT cross the road until and unless ALL cars in the front row have come to a complete stop.

Places to eat:
1) Every fast food chain under the sun is available in Dubai. Indulge! U r very close to many of them.
2) Try out arabic food at Automatic
3) Virtually every restaurant serves up quality food. All food is safe. No risk of getting a Dehli belly at all.

Pubs:
There should be one at Lords itself. There is another at Khaleej Palace hotel.... 4 minute walk at most.
Other good pubs include Vu's at Emirates Towers, Scarlets, also at Emirates Towers, Fibbers, Waxies ( At the Ascot Hotel), The Irish Village at the Aviation club.

Any more q's? lol

Its nothing like London, trust me! I am sat here in London and Dubai is a World apart.