British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to start... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-start-901392/)

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 9:18 am

Where to start...

Hi all,

First time posting on this board so thanks in advance.

My wife and I with 2 children are investigating move to UAE with Dubai the most likely destination although we would consider other parts. My question is what's the best way to go about it.

We are both teachers, wife primary and I've a varied background including ICT and English. Would it be easier for one of us to gain employmen, move and the other look for work or do the schools look for out of country people to employ? Also slot of teaching jobs offer accommodation, does anyone know how this works as we have two children with us? If we are already in country with one of us employed and the other gets a job do companies still offer housing allowances? Or is this a one per household type of thing?

I hope all that makes sense and I understand that this may differ on a case by case but I'm just looking for a starting point.

Thanks again

Charl01 Aug 9th 2017 9:47 am

Re: Where to start...

A simple suggestion will be to secure a job before just "arriving"....

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Charl01 (Post 12312827)
A simple suggestion will be to secure a job before just "arriving"....

Sorry perhaps I was unclear. We wouldn't move with no job at all but should one or both have jobs? Is it easier to job hunt while there or from abroad. I think we both would need to work but it's just a case of so both need jobs before arriving or is it easier to one then the other for settling in etc

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. The big question is what is a reasonable salary to live off? We are both experienced so i would anticipate middle of the band salary which from whatnot can see is 13000 AED. Now assuming accommodation, schooling, health is covered is that enough to lead a reasonable lifestyle until the other finds work? By reasonable I mean the odd meal out a couple of kids activiites and a car. I know it's all very subjective but just looking at ball park figures. Are groceries and utilities expensive?

Thanks for the help

jam25mack Aug 9th 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rwley1982 (Post 12312949)
Thanks for the reply. The big question is what is a reasonable salary to live off? We are both experienced so i would anticipate middle of the band salary which from whatnot can see is 13000 AED. Now assuming accommodation, schooling, health is covered is that enough to lead a reasonable lifestyle until the other finds work? By reasonable I mean the odd meal out a couple of kids activiites and a car. I know it's all very subjective but just looking at ball park figures. Are groceries and utilities expensive?

Thanks for the help

Everything but petrol and cigarettes are expensive here.....

If you were both on 13K then living here with 4 kids won't work so trying it with one would be nasty. You'd need a decent chunk more than that to make it enjoyable and worthwhile.

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12312984)
Everything but petrol and cigarettes are expensive here.....

If you were both on 13K then living here with 4 kids won't work so trying it with one would be nasty. You'd need a decent chunk more than that to make it enjoyable and worthwhile.

We've only 2 kids - don't give the wife any ideas 😁😁. What sort of income would you suggest we should be looking for if we got accommodation, health and schooling paid for. We have a good life in the UK and I wouldn't want to move to be worse off. Would 30k joint be better or is it 50-60? I know there is no definitive answer but having could anyone give ballpark cost of living prices?

Thanks for the help

jam25mack Aug 9th 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rwley1982 (Post 12313011)
We've only 2 kids - don't give the wife any ideas 😁😁. What sort of income would you suggest we should be looking for if we got accommodation, health and schooling paid for. We have a good life in the UK and I wouldn't want to move to be worse off. Would 30k joint be better or is it 50-60? I know there is no definitive answer but having could anyone give ballpark cost of living prices?

Thanks for the help

Ahhhh yes, family of 4, not 4 kids. My bad, although I'd probably still say the same. 13K does not go a very long way here. This place may be tax free but there are a lot of 'fees' which make up for it, and as I said, pretty much everything is expensive.... think 9 GBP a pint in a standard British pub..... to 11 GBP is a poncy bar. With both of you working and accom and schooling paid it would be doable but not necessarily pleasant. Setting up a home isn't cheap, neither are utilities, TV etc.

Scamp is the man to do the calcs..... he's got it down to a fine art and I'm sure he'll oblige.

Failing that, do a search on the forum. This question comes up pretty much every week so there are loads of threads discussing the finer details.

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks I had a search but I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for the input

jam25mack Aug 9th 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rwley1982 (Post 12313046)
Thanks I had a search but I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for the input

Hers a few to get you started. Remember the bigger the house the bigger the AC bill.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...diture-899825/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...i-help-898443/

scot47 Aug 9th 2017 3:41 pm

Best to look for a school that would hire a teaching couple. I think you will not get two housing allowances.

Rwley1982 Aug 9th 2017 4:15 pm

I wondered that although I guess housing allowances and other benefits vary and it'll depend on the contract details per job. I think ideal world is to secure 2 jobs with about a month different in the start dates to get settled in.