Where to start?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

melbourne girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?

Hi, I am new to this site, so hi all.
My husband and i live with our two boys in Melbourne. He is Mechanical eng, and has PHD , 10 years experience, mining, automobile industry etc...and I am artist and graphic designer. Currently we both work for Bhp Billiton...We seriously want to move to Dubai for few years to work. Unfortunately agencies we contacted did not reply and one even said that it will be difficult to find job for my huby as he is Mechanical eng, isn’t that funny. What was your path and perhaps some insight how to be taken seriously. Also how are admin jobs over there?

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Hi Melbourne Girl,
Welcome to the forum. The only sectors that are booming here in Dubai are: Construction, Trade, Oil & Gas and Finance. So probably why you didn't get much of a response. Recruitment agencies by and large are really incompetent and downright unprofessional in some cases, so probably why you didn't have much luck. Think there are a few on this board who could probably give you a more useful answer - Friday - Saturday being the weekend, give them sometime to recover from a hangover and you should receive many more responses
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Morning IG,

I have not got a hangover.....

Melbourne Girl, welcome.

There is a link at the top of the forum page with some agencies, try looking there. As IG mentioned, later today you should get some more replies. Good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oktoberon
Morning IG,

I have not got a hangover.....
Morning

Good for you
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Morning

Good for you
You gonna come to The Pussy Ball...?
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melbourne girl
Hi, I am new to this site, so hi all.
My husband and i live with our two boys in Melbourne. He is Mechanical eng, and has PHD , 10 years experience, mining, automobile industry etc...and I am artist and graphic designer. Currently we both work for Bhp Billiton...We seriously want to move to Dubai for few years to work. Unfortunately agencies we contacted did not reply and one even said that it will be difficult to find job for my huby as he is Mechanical eng, isn’t that funny. What was your path and perhaps some insight how to be taken seriously. Also how are admin jobs over there?

Thanks.
Think very carefully, my dear...you are planning to leave one of the nicest cities in the world... presumably to avoid having to pay tax...and come to one of the most chaotic places on earth with a truly uncomfortable climate 8 months of the year...also, you probably won't be able to save much while you are here as its so expensive.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

What is expensive? While my husband salary is great half of it is taken by tax, literarily, and I do not have any benefits nor kids.
And half of our family is in Europe so i ll be closer then 24 hours in a plane and $10.000 at least for airplane tickets.

When we were in Dubai for holiday we found that food, and all little shopping stuff was cheaper then in Melbourne. So would you please be specific....

Also how is art life over there? Do people buy art? Does Gallery life exhist?
Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

What is expensive? While my husband salary is great half of it is taken by tax, literarily, and I do not have any benefits nor kids.
And half of our family is in Europe so i ll be closer then 24 hours in a plane and $10.000 at least for airplane tickets.

When we were in Dubai for holiday we found that food, and all little shopping stuff was cheaper then in Melbourne. So would you please be specific....

Also how is art life over there? Do people buy art? Does Gallery life exhist?
Thanks
rent will be the big cost!
a 1 B/R apartment will cost you around GBP1100 per month
If you have kids then schooling will also be very expensive. You cannot send kids to state schools here, you have to go private and from what I hear that is not chep!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks, but that is how much i am paying here now, and private schools here are also expensive, and state schools below any standard possible. Are you guys living in Dubai? As i know some companies give you package with all that included or some at least. That is what we were aiming at.
Does anyone know if gallery life exists there?

And I suppose we want to give it a go while we can, and maybe little bit positive encouragement would be great. At the end of the day, you can be only richer for the experience you have in life, bad or worse...
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:09 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My electricity bill is USD 300 per month and my 4yo daughter's so-called education costs over USD 5,000 per year, for example...if you are determined to come, it might be wise to wait 18-24 months until the metro train and public transport system is up and running thereby reducing traffic congestion, perhaps. My primary objection to Dubai is that it's one massive construction site. Twenty-five percent of all cranes in the world are here. The upside is that it should be nice when all of the construction is finished. There is some art culture here so I am told, also horse-racing like Melbourne.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
The upside is that it should be nice when all of the construction is finished......
thats a good one LH
as it is ever going to finish!!! too many people in positions of authority are making too much money to allow the construction boom to end. The economy is too reliant on it now!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:35 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, but that is how much i am paying here now, and private schools here are also expensive, and state schools below any standard possible. Are you guys living in Dubai? As i know some companies give you package with all that included or some at least. That is what we were aiming at.
Does anyone know if gallery life exists there?

And I suppose we want to give it a go while we can, and maybe little bit positive encouragement would be great. At the end of the day, you can be only richer for the experience you have in life, bad or worse...
Why not come over for a short holiday, have a look round, check out the art galleries, we do have them but I have never been, visit some agencies... I love Dubai, and the construction/traffic I can live with.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

MG, I came to Dubai 3 years ago, on my own and I only knew 2 people, I rented a villa and set up a business, again on my own.
Yes the traffic is mad and rents are high but just come and give it your best shot.
I love Dubai, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be at the moment. Weatherwise it is uncomfortable for about 4 months of the year but you get used to the heat and everywhere has A/c.
Everybody knows the traffic is murder so if you are going somewhere you just have to factor in enough time to get there and don't stress about it, most restaurants are sympathetic if you turn up late!
There is a thriving art scene here and most weeks there are new showings or gallery openings. A friend of mine is an artist and teacher so if you need more info when you get here let me know.
Socially Dubai is fab with all levels of restaurant to suit all budgets.there are lots of things to do other than going to bars and restaurant, I just choose not to do them
Just make sure you have a good package and don't forget that rent has to be paid up front a year in advance!
Good luck
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Melbourne Girl,

It all boils down to how much you're going to make and how much you're able to save at the end of the day. Dubai is great provided you make a great deal of money and more importantly are to able a save a lot of it too!

Dubai is safe - went to the park with my 4yo yesterday, we were almost the only ones there - and actually mentioned to my husband about how safe we felt Then you don't have to worry about being mugged on the street, your kids are safe in school etc...

Food, groceries and general expenses (other than rent and school fees) is inexpensive, eating out is incredibly cheap and the variety mind boggling! Basically I found what you pay in AED(1USD= AED3.67) you more or less pay in A$ in Melbourne

Dubai is nothing compared to Melbourne (where we should be heading in a couple of years) in terms of cleaner air, greenery, beautiful parks, recreation, traffic (rush hour here is 22 hours..). If you don't mind sacrificing that for a couple of years for the sake of a new adventure/life, then go for it by all means. We have been here for 12 years and we love it but then we are also looking forward to a new life in Melbourne some time in the future

Ta!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Twenty-five percent of all cranes in the world are here..
On a more positive note.....75% of all cranes in the world are somewhere else!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.