Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where should I live in Dubai?

Where should I live in Dubai?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where should I live in Dubai?

It looks as if I will be based for work near to the Maktoum Bridge (near to the American Hospital).

What areas of the city should I look to rent a Villa that provide relatively easy commuting? My wife and I are looking for a good standard of living in our chosen area, the Villa will likely have 3-5 bedrooms and possibly a pool.

Im trying to use the bhomes.com website but I need to narrow down the areas.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:31 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where should I live in Dubai?

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
It looks as if I will be based for work near to the Maktoum Bridge (near to the American Hospital).

What areas of the city should I look to rent a Villa that provide relatively easy commuting? My wife and I are looking for a good standard of living in our chosen area, the Villa will likely have 3-5 bedrooms and possibly a pool.

Im trying to use the bhomes.com website but I need to narrow down the areas.
Hello mate.... I would like to direct you to the following link:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262045

Look at post #7 and download the "good quality map of dubai" I highly recommed it. After you have downloaded it and zoomed into the areas around Maktoum Br., ask me about which areas you're interested in and I will see if I can offer any help

Good luck!

Oh and welcome to the forums.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mattew,

I don't know when you will be coming over, but have a look at this link
http://www.dubaifestivalcity.com/cit...g/albadia.aspx
This area is nearing completion (although it still looks like a huge builing site, much like the rest of Dubai) and looks promising.
Where ever you live, expect the traffic to be really bad. Dubai is a buildingsite, roadworks everywhere, lots of accidents and even more rubberneckers...
The area around the AH doesn't have villa's as far as I know. Oud Metha is getting nicer now, with some good looking appartmentbuilings but you seem to be looking for a villa. Most of the appartmentbuilings will have a swimmingpool and a gym by the way. You might be looking at the Garhoud area which has mostely older villas and compounds.
A bit further away, about 25 min without traffic jams, is Mirdif. A lot of villas and compounds, both older and new, in all priceranges. With the new Uptown shoppingcentre this area is becoming more attractive and more expensive. It does have the disadvantage of being underneath the flightpath.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:02 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough - I currently live in Oud Metha right by the bridge and have booked a new apartment in Festival City, moving in Feb 07.

There are some very nice apartments coming up in Festival City called the Hillside.

Why do you want such a huge villa if it is just you and your wife?

Originally Posted by MataHari
Hi Mattew,

I don't know when you will be coming over, but have a look at this link
http://www.dubaifestivalcity.com/cit...g/albadia.aspx
This area is nearing completion (although it still looks like a huge builing site, much like the rest of Dubai) and looks promising.
Where ever you live, expect the traffic to be really bad. Dubai is a buildingsite, roadworks everywhere, lots of accidents and even more rubberneckers...
The area around the AH doesn't have villa's as far as I know. Oud Metha is getting nicer now, with some good looking appartmentbuilings but you seem to be looking for a villa. Most of the appartmentbuilings will have a swimmingpool and a gym by the way. You might be looking at the Garhoud area which has mostely older villas and compounds.
A bit further away, about 25 min without traffic jams, is Mirdif. A lot of villas and compounds, both older and new, in all priceranges. With the new Uptown shoppingcentre this area is becoming more attractive and more expensive. It does have the disadvantage of being underneath the flightpath.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:32 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

hehe, I can read your mind....

Yes, Hillside looks very nice doesn't it, unlike all the other Truman show developments. I have lived on Oud Metha road and I must say, after the initial shock, I really liked the area and it's very central. There are some nice new buildings (but never been inside).

lol, I wanted to ask him the same question about the 5 b/r villa....but was to shy to do so
Old Sep 20th 2006, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
hehe, I can read your mind....

Yes, Hillside looks very nice doesn't it, unlike all the other Truman show developments. I have lived on Oud Metha road and I must say, after the initial shock, I really liked the area and it's very central. There are some nice new buildings (but never been inside).

lol, I wanted to ask him the same question about the 5 b/r villa....but was to shy to do so
Hi there, I am pleased to see that I have rasied such suspicon

We feel that it is necessary to have a Villa due to the fact that we have dogs who will be coming with us.

Three bedrooms is a minimum in order that we have a space that we are comfortable with, and also so that can accommodate our friends and family when they are over. If we wanted, we could make do with a one or two bed, but that is not the standard of living we have at the moment , or wish for in Dubai.

After speaking with a few property agents in Dubai (subject to how we find the aircraft noise) I imagine we will be based in Mirdif. I have seen some nice properties in Arabian Ranches but I must see how the commute is into the office.

Last edited by matthew.lewis2; Sep 20th 2006 at 8:03 am.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:04 am