Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to put my money when i get there?

Where to put my money when i get there?

Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure
Would you say buy property in Abu Dhabi or Barain would be i good place to start?
In terms of investment in propert, I think Abu Dhabi is a much better potential bet than Dubai. The place has been developing slowly, compared to Dubai and has been watching & hopefully learning from the mistakes. There are plans for massive development in the next few years, Yas Island etc.

AD has way more money that Dubai and is probably considered a more serious place, with Dubai being the party town. Many companies now prefer to set up in AD. Consider alsothat AD wil have a F1 event, a Louvre and a Guggenheim Museum. On Yas Island alone there will be the FI track, 28 hotels, a giant shopping mall and numerous residential developments.

RAK, Ajman etc are all well and good, but will only every be secondary to AD and Dubai.

Just a personal opinion of course, and what you do with your money depends on numerous factors. Property isn't a short-term investment.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
In terms of investment in propert, I think Abu Dhabi is a much better potential bet than Dubai. The place has been developing slowly, compared to Dubai and has been watching & hopefully learning from the mistakes. There are plans for massive development in the next few years, Yas Island etc.

AD has way more money that Dubai and is probably considered a more serious place, with Dubai being the party town. Many companies now prefer to set up in AD. Consider alsothat AD wil have a F1 event, a Louvre and a Guggenheim Museum. On Yas Island alone there will be the FI track, 28 hotels, a giant shopping mall and numerous residential developments.

RAK, Ajman etc are all well and good, but will only every be secondary to AD and Dubai.

Just a personal opinion of course, and what you do with your money depends on numerous factors. Property isn't a short-term investment.
I'm inclined to agree with you, Meow - add to that the investment that AD is making in "solid" mid-tech manufacturing - ship-building, steel works, munitions, food & pharmaceuticals - and you end up with a state that is making some very measured steps towards modernity and a solid economy.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Le Pure, 120,000 quid won't go far out here. Have you got a job to come to??? you can't emigrate to Dubai, as you can't get nationalisation or whatever it is called. Do your research carefully.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Le Pure, 120,000 quid won't go far out here. Have you got a job to come to??? you can't emigrate to Dubai, as you can't get nationalisation or whatever it is called. Do your research carefully.

I know that Blue Cat we are coming to work as well, i think you misunderstand the question i looking to invested this money not to live on it.

but thanks for your Concern
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Blue Cat we are coming to work as well, i think you misunderstand the question i looking to invested this money not to live on it.

but thanks for your Concern
look at Bulgaria, we have just had good return on an investment we made there
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:43 am
Just Joined

look at Bulgaria, we have just had good return on an investment we made there
Here was a lot of buzz about Bulgaria in fact the whole Easted block but i know two of my friends have come unstuck there with very little returns, i am looking for opportunities to invested into new weath, places like Dubai, AD and Barain i am also watching place's with growing a Economies Where people will have more disposable income than they have ever had before.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:05 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Aaah, yes, but who are the developers - certainly not Emaar? What about infrastructure? Where will they get water/power from, finance?? Abu Dhabi has all the money. Dubai is margin trading on it's economy
I know people who have spent AED1.75m on a pretty ordinary apartment on The Greens and, having lived there a few weeks, water started pouring in through the ceiling from the roof above. Pretty obviously due to faulty HVAC equipment but the developers (Emaar) have visited four times (each time involving gangs of sub-continent labourers) and the problem has not been fixed. Moreover, Emaar refuse to let any other contractor on the premises. They are as bad as the rest IMHO.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:52 am
Concierge

well we made 50,000 euros on the apartment we bought in Bulgaria so I am not complaining and seeing as we don't have a spare 4 million for a villa here we didn't bother!!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

are there any other kind?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

well we made 50,000 euros on the apartment we bought in Bulgaria so I am not complaining and seeing as we don't have a spare 4 million for a villa here we didn't bother!!!

You did very well, are you going to invest that £35'000 pounds in to more property? and if so where?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:17 pm
Concierge

You did very well, are you going to invest that £35'000 pounds in to more property? and if so where?
no, we aren't planning on selling Bulgaria for a while, I am pretty sure we can make more money. We are thinking about buying on the West Coast of Scotland.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

no, we aren't planning on selling Bulgaria for a while, I am pretty sure we can make more money. We are thinking about buying on the West Coast of Scotland.
Fort William is going for 20 - 25 % premium, be warned...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:32 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by oktoberon
Fort William is going for 20 - 25 % premium, be warned...
Troon, buying Atilla's Mother's apartment
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:10 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Here was a lot of buzz about Bulgaria in fact the whole Easted block but i know two of my friends have come unstuck there with very little returns, i am looking for opportunities to invested into new weath, places like Dubai, AD and Barain i am also watching place's with growing a Economies Where people will have more disposable income than they have ever had before.
I havre done well in Gambia and I hear that Cape Verde is now a very good opportunity - a very good airport, cheap, plenty of space and (on one of the islands) all the facitities you can wish. Equity in either is completely free - although the transactions can be risky in Gambia.

I think that one of your criteria should be a strenthening currency and the three places are decidedly not new wealth as far as I can see. New debt perhaps. These areas are residential dormitories - if you want a booming one then try Shanghai but watch your business partner.