Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to put my money when i get there?

Where to put my money when i get there?

Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
thats if it even gets built!!!
Things really that bad out there? is there no protection out there for that kind of thing
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by oktoberon
No Way.......

Peeps who bought on the Palm that way have suddenly realised that they have been shafted BIG TIME.... Look and see what you are getting for your money
Shafted big time in what way?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Le pure
Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure
Hey LP,

Welcome to the forum I could be more helpful if you have specific questions - anyway here's my 2p:

1) What is the nature of your business (PM me if you wish). I can tell you whether it would be easy to do the same here or not/or at least be able to point you to some one who should be able to guide you, including the costs of doing business here. Whatever it is, don't opt for an LLC (51% UAE partner!) type of company outside the free zone. Establishing a business in the RAK FZ/Ajman FZ is cheaper than any other Emirate.

2) Is it possible that one of you finds employment temporarily, while the other is setting up business? If one of you has a steady income, then you won't have to dip into your savings whilst your business stabilises/picks up.

3) You may want to invest half your capital in business, invest the rest - speak to a good qualified financial planner (think Meow is one)

4) Do not recommend investing in property in any other Emirate other than Dubai (if you must) - dodgy laws, water/electricity connections iffy (similar shortages in Dubai but not publicised) poor infrastructure etc. If in Dubai, off-plan buying is not recommended (escrow account not withstanding) especially if the developer is not Emaar. At the moment, I personally would not invest in property.

5) There is no protection whatsoever. For e.g. after building the Springs/Meadows communities, the RTA have now decided to build a 6 lane highway cutting right through the residential community! So much for forward planning. Build 5,000 houses with a single road leading in and out of the community, and then find traffic is a nightmare, so create more chaos - build highway - who cares if it happens to be through your pool/backyard - tough. Nah, you can't sue the government here.

Ta
Anya
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Shafted big time in what way?
They bought off plan, so called 1 villa per x sq mtrs. Due to the increased costs of development. The so called 1 villa suddenly turned into 2 villa's on the same plot. Shafted big time. As I said before see what you're buying
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hey LP,

Welcome to the forum I could be more helpful if you have specific questions - anyway here's my 2p:

1) What is the nature of your business (PM me if you wish). I can tell you whether it would be easy to do the same here or not/or at least be able to point you to some one who should be able to guide you, including the costs of doing business here. Whatever it is, don't opt for an LLC (51% UAE partner!) type of company outside the free zone. Establishing a business in the RAK FZ/Ajman FZ is cheaper than any other Emirate.

2) Is it possible that one of you finds employment temporarily, while the other is setting up business? If one of you has a steady income, then you won't have to dip into your savings whilst your business stabilises/picks up.

3) You may want to invest half your capital in business, invest the rest - speak to a good qualified financial planner (think Meow is one)

4) Do not recommend investing in property in any other Emirate other than Dubai (if you must) - dodgy laws, water/electricity connections iffy (similar shortages in Dubai but not publicised) poor infrastructure etc. If in Dubai, off-plan buying is not recommended (escrow account not withstanding) especially if the developer is not Emaar. At the moment, I personally would not invest in property.

5) There is no protection whatsoever. For e.g. after building the Springs/Meadows communities, the RTA have now decided to build a 6 lane highway cutting right through the residential community! So much for forward planning. Build 5,000 houses with a single road leading in and out of the community, and then find traffic is a nightmare, so create more chaos - build highway - who cares if it happens to be through your pool/backyard - tough. Nah, you can't sue the government here.

Ta
Anya
Must dispute no. 4 IG Ajman RAK are really looking forward, they will not make the same mistakes as Dubai. When I'm ready it will be RAK and Sri Lanka.. SL now it's still a bargain....
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Must dispute no. 4 IG Ajman RAK are really looking forward, they will not make the same mistakes as Dubai. When I'm ready it will be RAK and Sri Lanka.. SL now it's still a bargain....
Aaah, yes, but who are the developers - certainly not Emaar? What about infrastructure? Where will they get water/power from, finance?? Abu Dhabi has all the money. Dubai is margin trading on it's economy
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Aaah, yes, but who are the developers - certainly not Emaar? What about infrastructure? Where will they get water/power from, finance?? Abu Dhabi has all the money. Dubai is margin trading on it's economy
True IG and the margins get called every day.....
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Would you say buy property in Abu Dhabi or Barain would be i good place to start?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would you say buy property in Abu Dhabi or Barain would be i good place to start?
Sorry buddy...
Can't comment on Bahrain or AD. You need to have a long chat to IG.

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:59 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

I thought you knew what you were doing. It seems to me you have sold up and don't have a clue what to do with it. ..well perhaps you do but have just decided - with no basis that Dubai is where it is at and within a matter of hours are now .....

Anyway good luck - but slow down!!!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

rushey is an unknown quantity at this point

They bought off plan, so called 1 villa per x sq mtrs. Due to the increased costs of development. The so called 1 villa suddenly turned into 2 villa's on the same plot. Shafted big time. As I said before see what you're buying
But the villas on the palm have still been fantastic investments havent they ? What have they acheived ? 3 times your money on current prices ? Jebel Ali villas going at 30-40% premiums. I know some of you have the "ah but are they selling them at those levels" attitude. I dont know, all I can comment on is that no one was discounting when I was with the agents last time. It was sticker price or the highway !

You take the risks with off plan buying, everyone knows that, but thats also where the big returns are if you get it right

R.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushey
But the villas on the palm have still been fantastic investments havent they ? What have they acheived ? 3 times your money on current prices ? Jebel Ali villas going at 30-40% premiums. I know some of you have the "ah but are they selling them at those levels" attitude. I dont know, all I can comment on is that no one was discounting when I was with the agents last time. It was sticker price or the highway !

You take the risks with off plan buying, everyone knows that, but thats also where the big returns are if you get it right

R.
In the words of that song, that was then and this is now...you may easily find property resale values falling in Dubai over the next five years. FWIW I agree that R-A-K and Ajman are better propositions.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dago
I thought you knew what you were doing. It seems to me you have sold up and don't have a clue what to do with it. ..well perhaps you do but have just decided - with no basis that Dubai is where it is at and within a matter of hours are now .....

Anyway good luck - but slow down!!!

Its not that i do not have a clue belive me, but this is a new market to me and in which i don't not know how things work, and just because i will be living in Dubai does not mean that i will not look at other opportunities because if i didn't what kind of invested would i be?

but thanks for your concern!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

rushey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
In the words of that song, that was then and this is now...you may easily find property resale values falling in Dubai over the next five years. FWIW I agree that R-A-K and Ajman are better propositions.
Falling in real terms or a slowing down of the growth/premiums ?

I can only see the latter, no way for example are those villa's on the palm going to decrease in value as Dubai develops its infastructure.

R.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure
Suggest you talk to me. I am an Independent Financial Adviser, authorised to provide advice in the both the UK and UAE.

Good luck with your move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.