Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to put my money when i get there?

Where to put my money when i get there?

Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to put my money when i get there?

Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:28 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
oktoberon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Posts: 1,038
oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure View Post
Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure
In a word NO...Speak to IG first, she'll advise you. I recommend you do not sell up in the UK. Always make sure you have a safety net. This place does not take prisoners.

Dubai is full of opportunities, take care with your hard earned dosh. With the right advice you can still make a comfortable living.

Good luck
oktoberon is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:36 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post
In a word NO...Speak to IG first, she'll advise you. I recommend you do not sell up in the UK. Always make sure you have a safety net. This place does not take prisoners.

Dubai is full of opportunities, take care with your hard earned dosh. With the right advice you can still make a comfortable living.

Good luck
Many thanks but the UK market is on its arse and i will not make any more money on property here not for a long time.

may i ask what you do and how long you have been in Dubai for?
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:38 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

god, i wish the uk market was on it's arse where i'm looking to buy...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:42 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa View Post
god, i wish the uk market was on it's arse where i'm looking to buy...

MM, xx
Where are you looking to buy? and what are you looking to buy? and why ?
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:46 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
oktoberon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Posts: 1,038
oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure View Post
Many thanks but the UK market is on its arse and i will not make any more money on property here not for a long time.

may i ask what you do and how long you have been in Dubai for?
No worries lad.

I've been here for 5 years, I work in risk management, not the type IG does. That's why it's important to speak to her. I see the property market as a bubble. If you had been here 4 -5 years ago then yes, you would have made a killing.
Now, it's just like home. The places coming onto the market are already oversubscribed and command a premium of 10 -25%. Look to the other Emirates Ajman, Ras Al Kaimah. you may still be able to work some magic. Again, I caution you do not give up your safety net in the UK. Keep something....
oktoberon is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:48 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Kuwait - Sringboard to Djibouti
Posts: 305
Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Why not just buy a house and then rent it out. Go to the estate agent and find out the good areas and buy one. Easy. Spend 100k and keep the rest saved and for living on. Very soon you can buy a second property with a loan and some equity and start again. Easy.

Enjoy your wealth and let me know if it goes well!
Dago is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:50 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post
No worries lad.

I've been here for 5 years, I work in risk management, not the type IG does. That's why it's important to speak to her. I see the property market as a bubble. If you had been here 4 -5 years ago then yes, you would have made a killing.
Now, it's just like home. The places coming onto the market are already oversubscribed and command a premium of 10 -25%. Look to the other Emirates Ajman, Ras Al Kaimah. you may still be able to work some magic. Again, I caution you do not give up your safety net in the UK. Keep something....
oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this?

and 10 - 25% over priced...
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:55 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Kuwait - Sringboard to Djibouti
Posts: 305
Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure View Post
oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this?

and 10 - 25% over priced...
Yes I see what you mean. The concept of arbitrage is missing I think. Or it is a mistake. Oversubscribed means underpriced.
Dago is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:56 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
oktoberon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Posts: 1,038
oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure View Post
oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this? The way they release new properties here is by word of mouth, Therefore, most have takers before you even get to hear about them.

and 10 - 25% over priced...
Not quite, see above. the original asking price is 1 mill by the time it gets to the agents the premium is added. so you end up paying price + premium
oktoberon is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:59 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Kuwait - Sringboard to Djibouti
Posts: 305
Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

It is still the price though. The thing you pay to buy. It may be that the agent fee is a cost but it constitutes part of the price.
Dago is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:01 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post
Not quite, see above. the original asking price is 1 mill by the time it gets to the agents the premium is added. so you end up paying price + premium
what about buying off plan?
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:04 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North West England
Posts: 14
Le pure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Dago View Post
It is still the price though. The thing you pay to buy. It may be that the agent fee is a cost but it constitutes part of the price.
i agree agent fee, i would look at that as the price cause that % would get pass on when i sell it.
Le pure is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:16 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
oktoberon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Posts: 1,038
oktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to beholdoktoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure View Post
what about buying off plan?
No Way.......

Peeps who bought on the Palm that way have suddenly realised that they have been shafted BIG TIME.... Look and see what you are getting for your money
oktoberon is offline  
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:18 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by oktoberon View Post
No Way.......

Peeps who bought on the Palm that way have suddenly realised that they have been shafted BIG TIME.... Look and see what you are getting for your money
thats if it even gets built!!!
Inselaffen is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.