British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to put my money when i get there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-put-my-money-when-i-get-there-481709/)

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 2:22 pm

Where to put my money when i get there?

Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure

oktoberon Sep 17th 2007 2:28 pm

Re: Where to put my money when i get there?

Originally Posted by Le pure (Post 5321472)
Hi all

I have been read your threads or blogs (what ever they are called) for some time now and i want in...

OK THE PLAN

My fianc'ee and I are immigrate to Dubai, i am 25 years old and done well in the UK i am selling both of my businesses and property here in the UK and will be coming to Dubai with £120,000 cash to invest freely in what ever i think is right. And this is the QUESTION what is right? where should i put my money?

If any of you can help me or give me some idea's that would be great (private message welcome)

i would really like to talk to Indie Girl to, has you are on a lot of threads/blogs and seem to know a lot about how things work in Dubai and you have a lot to say about property investing and business so if you could be so kind to get back to me that would be great.

Many thanks

Le pure

In a word NO...Speak to IG first, she'll advise you. I recommend you do not sell up in the UK. Always make sure you have a safety net. This place does not take prisoners.

Dubai is full of opportunities, take care with your hard earned dosh. With the right advice you can still make a comfortable living.

Good luck

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5321505)
In a word NO...Speak to IG first, she'll advise you. I recommend you do not sell up in the UK. Always make sure you have a safety net. This place does not take prisoners.

Dubai is full of opportunities, take care with your hard earned dosh. With the right advice you can still make a comfortable living.

Good luck

Many thanks but the UK market is on its arse and i will not make any more money on property here not for a long time.

may i ask what you do and how long you have been in Dubai for?

Madam Medusa Sep 17th 2007 2:38 pm

god, i wish the uk market was on it's arse where i'm looking to buy...

MM, xx

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5321559)
god, i wish the uk market was on it's arse where i'm looking to buy...

MM, xx

Where are you looking to buy? and what are you looking to buy? and why ?

oktoberon Sep 17th 2007 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Le pure (Post 5321547)
Many thanks but the UK market is on its arse and i will not make any more money on property here not for a long time.

may i ask what you do and how long you have been in Dubai for?

No worries lad.

I've been here for 5 years, I work in risk management, not the type IG does. That's why it's important to speak to her. I see the property market as a bubble. If you had been here 4 -5 years ago then yes, you would have made a killing.
Now, it's just like home. The places coming onto the market are already oversubscribed and command a premium of 10 -25%. Look to the other Emirates Ajman, Ras Al Kaimah. you may still be able to work some magic. Again, I caution you do not give up your safety net in the UK. Keep something....

Dago Sep 17th 2007 2:48 pm

Why not just buy a house and then rent it out. Go to the estate agent and find out the good areas and buy one. Easy. Spend 100k and keep the rest saved and for living on. Very soon you can buy a second property with a loan and some equity and start again. Easy.

Enjoy your wealth and let me know if it goes well!

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5321593)
No worries lad.

I've been here for 5 years, I work in risk management, not the type IG does. That's why it's important to speak to her. I see the property market as a bubble. If you had been here 4 -5 years ago then yes, you would have made a killing.
Now, it's just like home. The places coming onto the market are already oversubscribed and command a premium of 10 -25%. Look to the other Emirates Ajman, Ras Al Kaimah. you may still be able to work some magic. Again, I caution you do not give up your safety net in the UK. Keep something....

oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this?

and 10 - 25% over priced...

Dago Sep 17th 2007 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Le pure (Post 5321612)
oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this?

Yes I see what you mean. T:wub:he concept of arbitrage is missing I think. Or it is a mistake. Oversubscribed means underpriced.

oktoberon Sep 17th 2007 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Le pure (Post 5321612)
oversubscribed in what do you mean when you say this? The way they release new properties here is by word of mouth, Therefore, most have takers before you even get to hear about them.

Not quite, see above. the original asking price is 1 mill by the time it gets to the agents the premium is added. so you end up paying price + premium

Dago Sep 17th 2007 2:59 pm

It is still the price though. The thing you pay to buy. It may be that the agent fee is a cost but it constitutes part of the price.

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5321629)
Not quite, see above. the original asking price is 1 mill by the time it gets to the agents the premium is added. so you end up paying price + premium

what about buying off plan?

Le pure Sep 17th 2007 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dago (Post 5321643)
It is still the price though. The thing you pay to buy. It may be that the agent fee is a cost but it constitutes part of the price.

i agree agent fee, i would look at that as the price cause that % would get pass on when i sell it.

oktoberon Sep 17th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Le pure (Post 5321645)
what about buying off plan?

No Way.......

Peeps who bought on the Palm that way have suddenly realised that they have been shafted BIG TIME.... Look and see what you are getting for your money

Inselaffen Sep 17th 2007 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5321702)
No Way.......

Peeps who bought on the Palm that way have suddenly realised that they have been shafted BIG TIME.... Look and see what you are getting for your money

thats if it even gets built!!!