Reload this Page >

Where to live in Dubai

Where to live in Dubai

Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

firejacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Dubai

Hi all,

I'm moving to Dubai on the 27th of September as General Manager of a new company starting up in Jebel Ali FZ. Normal expat package but it's the accomodation I need help with first.

My company haven't given me a budget just said two bed flat and the MD will have the final approval. Based on my salary I would have thought 60k - 70k AED / annum would be acceptable. However as my wife will remain in the UK for the at least the first year then I'd prefer a great location not far from the FZ and only rent a smart one bed.

I have no idea on the different areas but my only requirement is close to work and quality weights gym (maybe one of the seven fitness firsts) as I train 7 days a week first thing in the morning.

Please could I have some advice.

The first stop will be a hotel for about three weeks until I get a place.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Dubai

Gardens at ibn battuta. There is a fitness first there and its close to JAFZA
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:58 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Commander hit the nail on the head, you'll get something nice in the Gardens if your budget is over 60K, maybe 6 or 12 cheques and you're close to the Marina, Metro lines and several malls and supermarkets.

Depending on where you are working in Jebel Ali it might even be possible for you to get the Metro to work and save the hassle of parking, dangerous driving and traffic.

I'm thinking of moving to the Gardens myself despite working in Abu Dhabi...

N.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks gents,

I've looked on official website and they say that it is at full occupancy?

Where should I look (internet sites) for properties to rent there?

What about discovery gardens?

Also with property prices down is it worth buying as I assume rental prices haven't reduced as landlords are stuck with mortgages in negative equity?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Commander hit the nail on the head, you'll get something nice in the Gardens if your budget is over 60K, maybe 6 or 12 cheques and you're close to the Marina, Metro lines and several malls and supermarkets.

Depending on where you are working in Jebel Ali it might even be possible for you to get the Metro to work and save the hassle of parking, dangerous driving and traffic.

I'm thinking of moving to the Gardens myself despite working in Abu Dhabi...

N.
walking to and from the metro is gonna be a biatch especially when it's so damn hot - i can't imagine 'western' expats taking to the metro.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i live in JLT and work in the Jebel Ali freezone (Gate 5), it literally takes 15-20mins max to and from work.

Discovery Gardens is another good location, apparently the apartments there are meant to be huge and not pricey- although i aint keen on not having any covered parking.

If you really wanna save money, in JLT you could easily get a studio aprt for approx AED 40k.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:56 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
walking to and from the metro is gonna be a biatch especially when it's so damn hot - i can't imagine 'western' expats taking to the metro.
A ten minute walk in the morning or evening even at the height of summer isn't very hard...I often walk to my office in the morning and it's a block or so away...no big deal and no stress with parking.

N.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

My company will approve the budget once I've found a place so JLT for 40k AED for studio isn't really what I'm looking for as they have offered 2 bed. I still think top end will be 90k and more likely 70k
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by firejacket
My company will approve the budget once I've found a place so JLT for 40k AED for studio isn't really what I'm looking for as they have offered 2 bed. I still think top end will be 90k and more likely 70k

i got my 2 bed aprt in JLT in July 09, unfurnished, 1600 sq for AED 80k - i think you should easily find a two bed for your budget range.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-f...apartmentflat/

This is the best website for real estate in Dubai. As you will notice, there are plenty of flats on offer in Discovery Gardens.

Key words to look for are: Dubai Marina, JLT, Discovery Gardens, Greens and Tecom.

Keep in mind that you are now able to negotiate with the landlord for the final rent price (completely unthinkable a year ago).
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all who have offered advice it has confirmed my opinions from the UK Gardens, Greens, JLT. I'll check out the website.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the website, it's brilliant far better than the others I have been looking at and I've found several contenders in Discovery Gardens.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

I'd also look at JBR (1 bed AED90K, 2 bed AED 110K) where you also have good access to JAFZA but also direct beach access, loads of cafes, restaurants, shops and hotels with bars etc.
Marina has 1 bed flats for AED65K and up but they are small.
JLT isn't completed and has (apparently) an awful one way road system which makes getting in and out difficult and time consuming.
Good luck!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I'll discount JLT and stick with Discovery Gardens which seems to have plenty of choice. Is JBR all highrise apartment blocks and if so which are decent ones as I found loads of two beds for 90k and under?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firejacket
Thanks I'll discount JLT and stick with Discovery Gardens which seems to have plenty of choice. Is JBR all highrise apartment blocks and if so which are decent ones as I found loads of two beds for 90k and under?
all high rises, they look like Gotham City! I would rather live at Disco Gardens and not have the facilities that JBR offers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.