British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to live (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-live-511911/)

Live for now Feb 5th 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Where to live

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888022)
Satwa is the best place to live in Dubai.

Tonnes of good and cheap restaurants with all kinds of cuisine (four lebanese, two lebanese sweet shops, two chinese, one thai, two pizza, one italian, two cafes, one korean, one iranian, one indian, salad restaurant, japanese, philipino and more) some upscale ones within 10 mins walk of my apartment.

Close to the beach, close to fabric stores and tailors, populated by real people from all walks of life, walking distance from bars, 5 mins to SZR, 5 mins to beach road, it has interesting people, you can walk...it has shops, in a street no less!!! In short...it has character.

I couldn't live in the soulless shiny new areas of Dubai. Ex-pat zoos.

Will def. be looking at it closely then, thanks

shakh your bootie Feb 5th 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888022)
Satwa is the best place to live in Dubai.

Tonnes of good and cheap restaurants with all kinds of cuisine (four lebanese, two lebanese sweet shops, two chinese, one thai, two pizza, one italian, two cafes, one korean, one iranian, one indian, salad restaurant, japanese, philipino and more) some upscale ones within 10 mins walk of my apartment.

Close to the beach, close to fabric stores and tailors, populated by real people from all walks of life, walking distance from bars, 5 mins to SZR, 5 mins to beach road, it has interesting people, you can walk...it has shops, in a street no less!!! In short...it has character.

I couldn't live in the soulless shiny new areas of Dubai. Ex-pat zoos.

Choice phrase. Harsh, yet somehow true.....

Inselaffen Feb 5th 2008 12:10 pm

Its all a matter of choice.

I lived in Mankhool and was happy to get out. Am now I am in Umm Suqeim which I guess is the middle ground! A Mixture of mainly locals and expats.

W10 Feb 5th 2008 12:11 pm

I had the misfortune to live in the springsmeadowsgreensjbrmarinavillasgenericexpatzoo area of Dubai for a while.

Hated every minute of it. It suits dull curtain twitchers (read: large swathes of Western expats) obsessed with keeping up with the joneses who think they are superior to the world because they gots themselves a villa, some domestic help and a beemer

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888060)
I had the misfortune to live in the springsmeadowsgreensjbrmarinavillasgenericexpatzoo area of Dubai for a while.

Hated every minute of it. It suits dull curtain twitchers (read: large swathes of Western expats) obsessed with keeping up with the joneses who think they are superior to the world because they gots themselves a villa, some domestic help and a beemer

you are SO right! we moved up to the zoo and whilst my apartment is lovely there is NOTHING here, you have to get the car out for everything. When I was in Satwa the car didn't move for days, we walked everywhere when it wasn't too hot. I miss the guys from the little shop, and the shwarma shops! I bet some people in new dubai don't even know about Al Mulla or Ravis for that matter!

shakh your bootie Feb 5th 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888060)

Full of seething, wormy, hollow feelings
rather nasty--
How beastly the bourgeois is!

Standing in their thousands, these appearances, in damp
England
what a pity they can't all be kicked over
like sickening toadstools, and left to melt back, swiftly
into the soil of England.

W10 Feb 5th 2008 12:25 pm

I prefer him when he's writing about shagging gardeners myself...

shakh your bootie Feb 5th 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888108)
I prefer him when he's writing about shagging gardeners myself...

I'm sure the rich pageant of Satwa extends to the shagging of gardeners...

{he says trying desperately to get back on-thread...}

W10 Feb 5th 2008 12:40 pm

I don't think my gardener (if I had a gardener) would be called Tom.

shakh your bootie Feb 5th 2008 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5888177)
I don't think my gardener (if I had a gardener) would be called Tom.

Nay, yaar - Lady Chatterjee's lover goes by the good-name of Suresh...

jvr20 Feb 5th 2008 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5888204)
Nay, yaar - Lady Chatterjee's lover goes by the good-name of Suresh...

Chaudry more likely for a Bengali gardner :blink:

shakh your bootie Feb 5th 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5888242)
Chaudry more likely for a Bengali gardner :blink:

Yes, that adds credibility. Excellent. Reminds me - when I was little we had a gardner named "Ghul" - quite apt, really....

jvr20 Feb 5th 2008 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5888267)
Yes, that adds credibility. Excellent. Reminds me - when I was little we had a gardner named "Ghul" - quite apt, really....

:)

i've got a song on my mind now, won't be able to shake it off for the rest of the day!

arbroath_abroad Feb 6th 2008 9:46 am

W10, are you an ex-pat?

jvr20 Feb 6th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5893225)
W10, are you an ex-pat?

Given that he works for a living he's hardly likely to be an Emarati!