Where to live

Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live

Originally Posted by AlishaA
Oh Gosh okay so it looks like majority is saying no.. but there's a lot of internal pressure within my company to take this job as it's a good opportunity. I could get about AED 8,500 if I negotiate, but will the extra AED 1000 make any difference?
I get a car allowance of AED 1000, and accommodation of AED 65,000.
A friend of mine has a two bedroom villa in Mirdiff, and I could share that for AED4000 a month inc live in maid. Do you think this is good? I know Mirdiff is close to Festival City.
OK, so you can rent for 48k per annum, that's going to save you some cash on your allowance. 1k per month is a little low for car & insurance - a car loan of about 40K will cost you maybe 2K per month over 3 years.

Bear in mind that most of us that post here are a lot older than you and perhaps have much higher salary expectations.

Young person, early career, villa share and approx 10K dh to spend each month - yeah, why not.... knock yourself out, kid.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Gosh okay so it looks like majority is saying no.. but there's a lot of internal pressure within my company to take this job as it's a good opportunity. I could get about AED 8,500 if I negotiate, but will the extra AED 1000 make any difference?
I get a car allowance of AED 1000, and accommodation of AED 65,000.
A friend of mine has a two bedroom villa in Mirdiff, and I could share that for AED4000 a month inc live in maid. Do you think this is good? I know Mirdiff is close to Festival City.
alisha...if you've got accomodation covered from your budget, then it sounds like you should go for it...defo push for 8.5k, you should try to get everything you can. You won't be flush with cash but i'm sure you would be fine...Are they paying airfare home, medical etc??

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

AlishaA is an unknown quantity at this point

How is Mirdiff as an area? I will be working at Festival City so I know thats close by...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

How is Mirdiff as an area? I will be working at Festival City so I know thats close by...
it's fine...matahari lives there, i'm sure she will give you some info, do a search on here too cos the question has been asked a number of times...

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie

OKYoung person, early career, villa share and approx 10K dh to spend each month - yeah, why not.... knock yourself out, kid.
Exactly my thoughs, go for it!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
alisha...if you've got accomodation covered from your budget, then it sounds like you should go for it...defo push for 8.5k, you should try to get everything you can. You won't be flush with cash but i'm sure you would be fine...Are they paying airfare home, medical etc??

MM, xx
Hi MM

Yes they pay 1 return ticket a year and medical insurance. Yes I will try to push for an increase... :-(
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so you can rent for 48k per annum, that's going to save you some cash on your allowance. 1k per month is a little low for car & insurance - a car loan of about 40K will cost you maybe 2K per month over 3 years.

Bear in mind that most of us that post here are a lot older than you and perhaps have much higher salary expectations.

Young person, early career, villa share and approx 10K dh to spend each month - yeah, why not.... knock yourself out, kid.
I am 27yrs in April and have over 5 years sales & marketing experience.. thats why im finding this very low:-( But you're right, its my early career and I guess with 7.500 a month would mostly be going out and shopping... Anyone has any negotiation tips/or template?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MM

Yes they pay 1 return ticket a year and medical insurance. Yes I will try to push for an increase... :-(
Tell yourself you're worth it - I'm sure you are. Go in there with a reasoned argument to say that you've analysed costs, looked at the inflation rate and the exchange rate issues and that to have an equivalent lifestyle you need a 30% uplift on the salary and 20% on the housing. Then let them negotiate you down from that...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tell yourself you're worth it - I'm sure you are. Go in there with a reasoned argument to say that you've analysed costs, looked at the inflation rate and the exchange rate issues and that to have an equivalent lifestyle you need a 30% uplift on the salary and 20% on the housing. Then let them negotiate you down from that...
I just tried- I spoke to my future boss of Dubai. He said its a move for my career and that its a good opportunity- its a career move not a salary one.
I guess AED 7,500 will be okay for me.. and ill save some 1,500 from my housing allowance too...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:47 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

hi Alisha....
yup I live in Mirdif and I am very happy here....there's a nice shopping area now, called Uptown with restaurants and coffeeshops. There are a few supermarkets in the area, so you can do all your shopping locally.
Festival city is about 10 mins away so that's very convenient for Mirdif...
Only thing is the planes, being close to the airport there are planes flying over that make noise...it doesn't bother me, but some people find it a reason not to live here.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just tried- I spoke to my future boss of Dubai. He said its a move for my career and that its a good opportunity- its a career move not a salary one.
I guess AED 7,500 will be okay for me.. and ill save some 1,500 from my housing allowance too...
If it's a career move then he should also be setting you targets and proposing how you will be rewarded for hitting those targets. Is this a reputable organization?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

If it's a career move then he should also be setting you targets and proposing how you will be rewarded for hitting those targets. Is this a reputable organization?
Hi- yes its a reputable organization. The job involves a lot of travelling to US, Europe and my India, so I guess that also gives me an opportunity for travelling etc...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi- yes its a reputable organization. The job involves a lot of travelling to US, Europe and my India, so I guess that also gives me an opportunity for travelling etc...
Sounds like a lot of fun - pity the basic is so low!! Good luck, anyway, if you need any other help or advice give us a shout.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lookinatdubai
Hi everyone
Suddenly there are not enough hours in the day before I arrive on 15th Feb, e bay is making a fortune out of me.
I will be working in or close to the Emirates Towers, need to start looking for somewhere to live as soon as i get chance, got 1 month to sort it basically.
Looking for 2 bed+ maids apt rather than villa, mainly due to extra cost of utilities on villa, ideally will be looking for inclusion of white goods but not essential, have put aside 150k per year plus the 5% fees and utilities.
How far away in distance/average time is

Dubai Marina
JBR
Emirates Hills

or are there nice areas within my budget closer to Emirates Towers.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
I'm lookin' at buying a 2 bed+study in the greens and if you want to rent that i'd feel more comfortable buying it.
Will never be entirely happy buying here until I sign...and after that I'll be even more nervous
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
wish I had never left Satwa
You and me both - blame the ex again for that one.
She still costing me in the increased rent I pay now that I've left there.

Oh Lordy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.