Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

where to go and what to do

where to go and what to do

Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all
Default where to go and what to do

hi, ok so Ive booked a weeks hol to Dubai prior to the Big Move in April. Arriving 21st feb for one week with my hubbie and as per usual have a few questions:

1. Royal Brunei Airlines - any good? we are flying economy
2. we are staying in a holiday apartment in Dubai Marina, near to Marina Walk - is there a supermarket there for breakfast items etc
3. is Peppercrab a good restaurant? been craving some chilli crab but cant get it in the UK, or are there any good seafood restaurants which arent extortionate in price
4. anything particular going on at that time, festival concert etc
5. which clubs would you recommend,pref nearby playing r and b but anything else thats chilled - no rock or dance or indie please
6. also, re dressing conservatively - what is acceptable walking around a mall, and what is acceptable going to a restaurant, and what is acceptable in a bar/club

thanks!!!
a x
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to go and what to do

Originally Posted by angelynv
hi, ok so Ive booked a weeks hol to Dubai prior to the Big Move in April. Arriving 21st feb for one week with my hubbie and as per usual have a few questions:

2. we are staying in a holiday apartment in Dubai Marina, near to Marina Walk - is there a supermarket there for breakfast items etc
3. is Peppercrab a good restaurant? been craving some chilli crab but cant get it in the UK, or are there any good seafood restaurants which arent extortionate in price
5. which clubs would you recommend,pref nearby playing r and b but anything else thats chilled - no rock or dance or indie please
6. also, re dressing conservatively - what is acceptable walking around a mall, and what is acceptable going to a restaurant, and what is acceptable in a bar/club

thanks!!!
a x
I flew with Royal Brunei last year. Service was good but it is a DRY airline. so no wine with your meals!
There is a Spinney's supermarket there. so you can get your breakfast stuff including proper bacon.
Would recommend Jambase at the madinat for a bar/club. Good live band but it is supposed to be very busy now that the neiighbouring Trilogy Nightclub has become members only.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Mr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to allMr Moleskins is a name known to all

I flew RB (in business) a couple of years ago and it was ok. No booze so everyone brought their own onboard (not sure if this is still allowed).

This actually meant drinking more than I normally would on a plane, which didn't go down well with Aussie customs. "What is the purpose of your visit to Australia sir?".

"I'm in Australia? Really?"
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

there is a Spinneys supermarket in the Marina Walk....they will have just about everything you need...

Fish...not my strong point, but I think there is even a fish restaurant at the Marina Walk, no idea if it is any good...

For things going on it's easiest to check the Time Out Dubai website...they list all events...they also list all clubs and what music is played on which nights...

Dressing...nowadays people wear pretty much everything...so it's up to you really. I personally will never go to a mall in a short skirt and a sleeveless top but that is my choice. Also bear in mind with the A/C it can get very chilly in some places. As for going out, everything goes, from jeans to skimpy glittery outfits...but some places will not allow trainers, hoodies and caps...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:39 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!!!
a x

Hey Angelyn ... good to hear you have booked your trip.

Peppercrab is supposed to be good. I am not a huge fan of seafood restaurants so can't comment.

The Jazz Festival is on then! I think you can get tickets on www.itptickets.com It is in Media City so not very far at all from where you will be staying. Tickets are around 200-250dhs.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!!!
a x
friends have said peppercrab is ok...but the crab isn't anywhere near as good as in singapore, if that's what you're craving...If you want any other restaurant recommendations let us know...

think the jazz festival is going on , David Gray is on the 29th, i believe, for example...look at the Time Out website and you'll get more info...

yeah, agree with inselaffen, jambase is probably your best bet...go for dinner, the food is good there, and then you will avoid the issue of the queue...

most dress is acceptable, just be a bit considerate and sensible...you do see all sorts here to be honest.

MM, xx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Hey Angelyn ... good to hear you have booked your trip.

Peppercrab is supposed to be good. I am not a huge fan of seafood restaurants so can't comment.

The Jazz Festival is on then! I think you can get tickets on www.itptickets.com It is in Media City so not very far at all from where you will be staying. Tickets are around 200-250dhs.
Hi! wow! Jazz festival - cant wait! I read on Timeout that Peppercrab charge £50 for one crab!! v expensive. I did manage to find a good cheap seafood restaurant on Timeout so will check that out. Re my hubbie, is there anything else he can do to improve his chances? will probably celebrate valentines out there, slightly belated - can anyone suggest anything particularly romantic?

Last edited by angelynv; Jan 28th 2008 at 10:46 am. Reason: personal
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Moleskins
I flew RB (in business) a couple of years ago and it was ok. No booze so everyone brought their own onboard (not sure if this is still allowed).

This actually meant drinking more than I normally would on a plane, which didn't go down well with Aussie customs. "What is the purpose of your visit to Australia sir?".

"I'm in Australia? Really?"
no booze???? aaaaghhhhggghhh!! joke. if we can take our own that would be great
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:51 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

wow! Jazz festival - cant wait! I read on Timeout that Peppercrab charge £50 for one crab!! v expensive. I did manage to find a good cheap seafood restaurant on Timeout so will check that out. Re my hubbie, is it worth him popping in to WB or Mcnallys or is there anything else he can do to improve his chances? will probably celebrate valentines out there, slightly belated - can anyone suggest anything particularly romantic?
Will send you a PM .. I met the MD from McN's last week at Elton John and mentioned your hubby.

You could do a hot air balloon flight .. but you have to be up nice and early! You have to get to the site for around 5am.

Otherwise there are some nice romantic restaurants. Will have a think and drop you a list.

Last edited by Miss Eck; Jan 28th 2008 at 10:01 am.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pauline! wow! Jazz festival - cant wait! I read on Timeout that Peppercrab charge £50 for one crab!! v expensive. I did manage to find a good cheap seafood restaurant on Timeout so will check that out. Re my hubbie, is it worth him popping in to WB or Mcnallys or is there anything else he can do to improve his chances? will probably celebrate valentines out there, slightly belated - can anyone suggest anything particularly romantic?
if you want cheap seafood try one of the many GoldenFork Restaurants around Dubai. Never tried it myself so can't comment on whether its any good.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:43 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

no booze???? aaaaghhhhggghhh!! joke. if we can take our own that would be great
why do people need to drink alcohol during a flight...is it so hard to be without for a few hours...do you drink during a long drive in the car...I don't get that...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
why do people need to drink alcohol during a flight...is it so hard to be without for a few hours...do you drink during a long drive in the car...I don't get that...
its necessary in economy!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:03 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
its necessary in economy!!!
oh...poor people
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

oh...poor people
makes the time pass thats for sure!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:08 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

for long drives..smoking up comes into play! not here though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.