Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to go out for beers in Abu Dhabi

Where to go out for beers in Abu Dhabi

Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

alexmayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to go out for beers in Abu Dhabi

Im new in Abu Dhabi and am looking to go out to a few pubs and bars at the weekend.

Where's good to go, with cheap beer and a friendly atmos?

I saw this guide, but it was written 10 years ago. Is this still uptodate <<<SNIP>>>

Where would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 8th 2017 at 11:45 am. Reason: Link removed as it looks a little spammy
Old Feb 8th 2017, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go out for beers in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by alexmayer
Im new in Abu Dhabi and am looking to go out to a few pubs and bars at the weekend.

Where's good to go, with cheap beer and a friendly atmos?

I saw this guide, but it was written 10 years ago. Is this still uptodate <<<SNIP>>>

Where would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Dubai...

Only joking, i don't know AD too well. It may help if you give us an idea of your age group tho.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

alexmayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaw. Shame the link was removed. Maybe I can post it once I've got a few more posts to my name.

I'm 40, but don't feel it, so I'd rather go to a dive bar or English pub than a fancy cocktail bar full of estate agents.

The link I wanted to post included these places (amongst many others). Are any still open / any good?

- The Ally Pally - At the Al Ain Palace Hotel on the Corniche
- The Captains Arms - At the Meridien
- The Trap - Mezzanine level in The Dana Hotel
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:56 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be offered more than just a beer or two at the first and last of those venues. Strategy: don't make eye contact till you've settled yourself, and be aware that you'll carry with you the scent of fresh meat.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

PJ O'Rileys is ok at the #Royal Meridien, around the back of hotel, can sit outside
The bar in the Sheraton Khalidiya is decent
Cellar bar in Howard Johnston
Captains is OK, you can sit outside too, sports bar literally next door
The Trap is brilliant, a few Brits in there around the bar, full of African and some Chinese girls there
Never went to Ally Pally
Sports bar downstairs in Crowne Plaza Hambden Street
Hofbrauhous in Beach Rotana next to Abu Dhabi Mall
Belgian Beer Bar in Intercon at far end of Corniche
First floor bar at Mercure on Hambden St is cheap and small
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

I went to McGettigan's in Al Raha beach last night. Fantastic place. Big, busy and good music. Definitely will be going back. Prices didnt seem too bad - I think.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Hemingways at the Hilton
Harvesters at the Holiday Inn
Rock Bottom at the Capital
Mardi Gras at the Capital
Coopers at the Park Rotana
Stills at the Crowne Plaza Yas
Y Bar at the Yas Rotana
Barosa at the Ramada Downtown
Fairways at the Westin
Blu Sky at Southern Sun
Victors at the Hilton Capital Grand (new place, not been but heard good things)
Porters at the Grand Millennium
Fado at the Oryx Khalidiya
Sportsmans Arms in Zayed Sports City

All these are pretty decent, unpretentious places, and apart from the top four none of them existed when the list you mention was written. The bar/pub scene in Abu Dhabi has changed beyond recognition in the last 10 years.

Perhaps an Abu Dhabi Britishexpats pub crawl is called for...