Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to get PADI Open Water diving qual in Dubai?

Where to get PADI Open Water diving qual in Dubai?

Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Where to get PADI Open Water diving qual in Dubai?

I would like to get my PADI Open Water diving qualification in Dubai before a holiday in September. I am researching who to do it with and so far have found Al Boom diving school and the diving school at Atlantis. Both charge 2350 Dirhams for the four day course so I guess this is the going rate.

Does anyone have any advice about who is good and is this an acceptable price? I don't think I want to go for the cheapest thing around as I'd rather pay and be safe but any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get PADI Open Water diving qual in Dubai?

Originally Posted by shandolier
I would like to get my PADI Open Water diving qualification in Dubai before a holiday in September. I am researching who to do it with and so far have found Al Boom diving school and the diving school at Atlantis. Both charge 2350 Dirhams for the four day course so I guess this is the going rate.

Does anyone have any advice about who is good and is this an acceptable price? I don't think I want to go for the cheapest thing around as I'd rather pay and be safe but any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers!
I am not sure on current price, but Pavilion Dive Center at JBH is very good.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:38 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Sent you a PM.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Muks7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same question actually, researching and seeking PADI Open Water Diving qual and have only found info on Al Boom...any insights would be great!

Cheers.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

Well, I have also found out that Jumeirah Beach Hotel does courses. Basically you can do a 'familiarisation' dive for an hour in the pool there for 275 Dirhams and see if you like it, then if you do you can proceed to the PADI course.

Also, you can do the theory side of the PADI qualification with them online, as an e-learning course, in your own time which takes 6 hours and I think costs about 500 Dirham.

Once you have done this, then you can go on to the pool training which is 3 x 2 1/2 hr slots at a time convenient to you (e.g. you can do it at 7pm) then you go on to a day or two open water in the sea, which is 8am to 12pm. All this costs 1500 Dirham so you can do the whole thing for 2,000 Dirham.

All 3 options (Al Boom, Atlantis, Jumeirah Beach Hotel) seem to me to be much the same but the time flexibility and online learning for the theory of Jumeirah Beach Hotel is attractive to me. I've also had a couple of personal recommendations to individual dive instructors so I thought I'd try them too and make a decision once I've spoken to them.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice it is much appreciated!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boom, boom, boom, Al Boom!

Several diving schools exist on the East coast in Fujairah, Dibba and Khorfakkhan. Cheaper. They usually offer a package where you do the online lessons beforehand and get your PADI certificate in a two-day weekend course.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Well, I have also found out that Jumeirah Beach Hotel does courses. Basically you can do a 'familiarisation' dive for an hour in the pool there for 275 Dirhams and see if you like it, then if you do you can proceed to the PADI course.

Also, you can do the theory side of the PADI qualification with them online, as an e-learning course, in your own time which takes 6 hours and I think costs about 500 Dirham.

Once you have done this, then you can go on to the pool training which is 3 x 2 1/2 hr slots at a time convenient to you (e.g. you can do it at 7pm) then you go on to a day or two open water in the sea, which is 8am to 12pm. All this costs 1500 Dirham so you can do the whole thing for 2,000 Dirham.

All 3 options (Al Boom, Atlantis, Jumeirah Beach Hotel) seem to me to be much the same but the time flexibility and online learning for the theory of Jumeirah Beach Hotel is attractive to me. I've also had a couple of personal recommendations to individual dive instructors so I thought I'd try them too and make a decision once I've spoken to them.

Thanks for sharing this mate and, if you don't mind, do let me know how the conversation with the individual dive instructors compare to what Al Boom / JBH offer in terms of flexibility and pricing. I have done a couple of discovery dives in Koh Tao so I'm really looking forward to getting this qual while in the region.

Ethos83 - The e-learning and weekend package sounds very enticing - any recommended names / contacts / websites that I can look into further?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba...n/default.aspx

You sign up for the online course, and doing so you name a diving school of your choice for the open water dives.

The cheaper one in Khorfakkhan is http://www.diversdown.ae/
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Give Chris Chellapermal a ring at Nomad Adventures in Dibba (on the Oman side)

www.discovernomad.com

I think he accepts the online course, he then offers an all in package of doing the practical bit with accommodation and food for a reasonable amount. He has a little eco village with a pool and you get to do the open part in water where you can see further than 5m.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by benzonar

www.discovernomad.com

I think he accepts the online course, he then offers an all in package of doing the practical bit with accommodation and food for a reasonable amount. He has a little eco village with a pool and you get to do the open part in water where you can see further than 5m.
I sent Chris a note, and hopefully, by Sunday, I will be certified
Thanks for the link!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers!
Well i only paid 1850 with Al Boom but that was because i sorted out a group discount. If there are more people willing on here i'm sure you could get the same deal. The online option wasn't around when i did mine but that definitely reduces the cost.

I have to say though that they were a very professional outfit and i was quite impressed. At no point in time did i feel uncomfortable in the water or unsure of what i had to do.

Biggest problem now is getting more dives in as the guys i used to go with have left now.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar

www.discovernomad.com

Pavillion are the Dive operators at jumeriah Beach Hotel - very professional too. Phil OShea is an ace bloke.

I also saw NOMAD advertising a cheap deal that includes 2 days of doing the confined/open water dives. Check their website - you do the theory online.

The other operator in Khorfacan you should consider is Seven Seas - they are the longest established and are very reasonable.

I have only dived with Al Boom once. Their insutction might be great, but I wasn't impressed with the way they ran their fun/general dives...

When I got certified, I managed it in 3 days - it was hard work but I did it. But it wasn't here and it seems like a long time ago... good luck