Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

I think we can stop now.............. this is a case of 'Newbie opens thread with first-ever post, then doesn't bother hanging around to thank anyone for their responses' syndrome......
Old Sep 28th 2013, 12:49 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

Chill. Its a good topic.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:03 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
What about Irish
Have the Irish become persona non grata lately? I must have missed the circular on my new status.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:12 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere
I don't trust anyone with my money :-). Im strictly bricks and mortar.
All roads lead to Rome I say...I have a number of clients who prefer property. As long as they realise it's illiquid and make provisions accordingly it can be as good an asset as any.

History it's not the highest performer but not everyone likes high risk to return.

N.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just had a call from a new one; Guardian wealth management or something.

Politely told him three times I'm not interested.
Less politely told him once more.
Finished with "look, I'm sorry, actually...I'm not. I'm not interested, I'm not going to meet you or anyone else, I've got work to do and I'm going to hang up."

Click.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Finished with "look, I'm sorry, actually...I'm not. I'm not interested, I'm not going to meet you or anyone else, I've got work to do and I'm going to hang up."

Click.
Why not hang up earlier?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why not hang up earlier?
No need to be completely rude, I wasn't listening (nor was he actually, he told me that I'd moved my pension here form the UK after I told him I'd looked at setting one up).
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp, you are too tolerant. You should tell those time -wasters that you are coming to get them with a baseball bat.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
Scamp, you are too tolerant. You should tell those time -wasters that you are coming to get them with a baseball bat.
They get one chance. If the same firm rings again, then I'm allowed to be rude. I was polite and clear once.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Click.
Guardian are run by people who were kicked out of a firm that has a bad reputation in an effort to clean up their act. Looks like they have set up shop somewhere else carried on doing more of the same. Apparently they were working without licence here for a while was well.

N.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Guardian are run by people who were kicked out of a firm that has a bad reputation in an effort to clean up their act. Looks like they have set up shop somewhere else carried on doing more of the same. Apparently they were working without licence here for a while was well.

N.
Opening gambit was definitely along the lines of (don't quote me exactly here) "we're the only FSA(or something like that) regulated / approved firm in the UAE"
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:30 am

Opening gambit was definitely along the lines of (don't quote me exactly here) "we're the only FSA(or something like that) regulated / approved firm in the UAE"
Unlikely story, the FSA doesn't exist any more, things are taken care of by the FCA and the Bank of England back in Blighty.

The UAE has it's own regulation now anyway in the form of several bodies and they are starting to grow some teeth (still a few years off anything close to the rest of the world). Only a few firms have most or all of the licenses such as UAE Securities and Commodities Authority, Central Bank and the Ministry of Economy. We're one of them and I know Guardian are not.

N.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Unlikely story, the FSA doesn't exist any more, things are taken care of by the FCA and the Bank of England back in Blighty.

The UAE has it's own regulation now anyway in the form of several bodies and they are starting to grow some teeth (still a few years off anything close to the rest of the world). Only a few firms have most or all of the licenses such as UAE Securities and Commodities Authority, Central Bank and the Ministry of Economy. We're one of them and I know Guardian are not.

N.
It was something along those lines.

Still, what they say is their problem. One day someone who knows their shit will catch them out and have some fun.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Click.
I got a call from them.....I stopped him in mid sentence and said...no point talking to me..I don't have any money..and I put the phone down