Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Re: Where to get good Financial Advice while based in the Middle East

On the subject of cold calls, I also got my first from Global Eye the other day. As I hadn't heard the reputation of them at the time I allowed the awfully nice British chap to ramble on for a while before letting him down gently.

Can Meow or someone else with the appropriate expertise post a 'sound bite' I can use for these people which could shoot them down in flames within the first 30 seconds?

I'm not the type to just hang up or shout expletives at them, but it bugs me that many of these people rely on the average person's blissful ignorance of financials to bamboozle us into handing over our money. I do like the idea of turning the tables and listening to them stew.

DB
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Are you actually, genuinely surprised?
I didn't think that even many of the salescharlatans tried that at a first meeting. Even many of them cobble together a letter based on supposed requirements first.

You'd have to be psychic to know exactly what someone wants/needs before meeting them.

Or a a total cowboy.

It's bloody depressing and no wonder I am really busy.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DustyBits
On the subject of cold calls, I also got my first from Global Eye the other day. As I hadn't heard the reputation of them at the time I allowed the awfully nice British chap to ramble on for a while before letting him down gently.

Can Meow or someone else with the appropriate expertise post a 'sound bite' I can use for these people which could shoot them down in flames within the first 30 seconds?

I'm not the type to just hang up or shout expletives at them, but it bugs me that many of these people rely on the average person's blissful ignorance of financials to bamboozle us into handing over our money. I do like the idea of turning the tables and listening to them stew.

DB

Just tell then that you are really glad they have called as you are Dhs 500,000 in debt and need help in staying out of prison.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Fiendishly cunning!
Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:20 am
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

And be careful of the usual sales pitch these dodgy IFA offer when their opening is how crap the competition is.......as in any industry, that usually spells just one thing.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by freewifiavailablehere; Sep 23rd 2013 at 11:16 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Just give me all your money and I will invest it wisely for you," How do people fall for that line ?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:32 am
Banned

I don't trust anyone with my money :-). Im strictly bricks and mortar.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy the houses for cash do you ? That is what Mr Rachman used to do.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:42 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere
And be careful of the usual sales pitch these dodgy IFA offer when their opening is how crap the competition is.......as in any industry, that usually spells just one thing.

Good luck OP.

From your comment in another thread is this supposed to be aimed at me?

My criticisms are directed at unprofessional sales people and I have not mentioned any companies,nor will I. I have a major issue with people who misadvise and do a poor job, something that happens a lot in the UAE. For years I have criticised that lack of compliance and regulation in financial services in the UAE and would love to see standards raise. All this I have said publically on many occasions and stand by it.

I've been on this board a long time and give plenty of help and guidance on various financial and legal issues. I don't bother or approach posters about what I do, but they can choose to contact me if they wish. Please don't lump me in with the sales crew when you know nothing about it.

I don't really have any competition as long term posters will know.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Meow
From your comment in another thread is this supposed to be aimed at me?

My criticisms are directed at unprofessional sales people and I have not mentioned any companies,nor will I. I have a major issue with people who misadvise and do a poor job, something that happens a lot in the UAE. For years I have criticised that lack of compliance and regulation in financial services in the UAE and would love to see standards raise. All this I have said publically on many occasions and stand by it.

I've been on this board a long time and give plenty of help and guidance on various financial and legal issues. I don't bother or approach posters about what I do, but they can choose to contact me if they wish. Please don't lump me in with the sales crew when you know nothing about it.

I don't really have any competition as long term posters will know.
What comment on another thread? Do you mean the only comment I have added to this forum, directed at you, which asked why you though I was 'unhappy' of something similar? With respect, I haven't really paid you much attention other than that.

Meow - I have not conversed with you on this thread. I have no idea whether you are dodgy or not. I don't know who you are.

Quiet simply, all I said was to the OP was to be aware of people you meet on the net who offer their services and to be very wary of those who are just too quick to poo poo the completion and paint themselves up to be better....

You haven't done this, right? So there should be no issue.

Anyway, I think Ive given the OP my opinion.

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
Buy the houses for cash do you ? That is what Mr Rachman used to do.
Yes and No. I put in enough cash and top up with a mortgage which the renters pay over 15 yrs tops.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And the renters are on Housing Benefit ?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:04 am
Banned

No, not HB, no dogs and no armed forces.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What about Irish and those with darker sin hue ?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
What about Irish and those with darker sin hue ?
Being the latter myself, I have no issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.