British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to get a decent sofa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-get-decent-sofa-746488/)

Millhouse Jan 27th 2012 3:03 pm

Where to get a decent sofa

Mrs Millhouse has almost got be signed up for some crazy sum of money for a leather sofa she has seen in MCC. Before I agree to this, I thought I'd ask you wise folks where else we should look.

We are looking for a 3-4 piece set. We are going for leather this time to better accommodate our fat arses. Must be able to put in 7 years and 6 house moves like the last one...

Oyibopeppeh Jan 27th 2012 3:10 pm

Re: Where to get a decent sofa

There are actually some bargains to be had on Dubizzle if you keep your eye out there....

Patsy Stoned Jan 27th 2012 3:28 pm

lots of places have huge discounts for DSF have a look in The One..they have a great sale.

Millhouse Jan 27th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9868735)
lots of places have huge discounts for DSF have a look in The One..they have a great sale.

Personally, I found the stuff at the 'The One' to be very overpriced and of habitat quality. What we have found (in a similar type of shop) has been discounted by 6k AED... sadly that just reflects how f'ing expensive it actually is.

Millhouse Jan 27th 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9868705)
There are actually some bargains to be had on Dubizzle if you keep your eye out there....

I'm all for that... just need to try and convince Mrs Millhouse that other peoples' pringles can actually be hoovered out of a second hand sofa.

Chris_m Jan 27th 2012 4:20 pm

Yer wish me luck am going sofa shopping tomorrow with the GF.

Where is the 1shop??

I've been told Pan emirates also has a good sale on.

Millhouse i tried the dubizzle route, It didn't wash especially after i bought myself a brand new 50" LG Tv haha. So been told if new is good for me then its good for her GRRR

Vat to do yanee

mentalist Jan 27th 2012 4:30 pm

HomesRus are pretty good value but personally I hate leather sofas, as they get so sticky and sweaty..

Oyibopeppeh Jan 27th 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9868759)
I'm all for that... just need to try and convince Mrs Millhouse that other peoples' pringles can actually be hoovered out of a second hand sofa.

We got a huge Bosch fridge freezer (still with the plastic wrap on it) for 1,500 Dhs (new was 2,800) and a month old Samsung 55" LED TV for 5,000 Dhs (new was 11,000).....complete with warranties and receipts.

Dubizzle is a cracking place to find bargains like this.

Autonomy Jan 27th 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9868812)
HomesRus are pretty good value but personally I hate leather sofas, as they get so sticky and sweaty..

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...lies-18156.png

lullabelle Jan 28th 2012 8:08 am

Big Marina exotic warehouse has a sale on...

I coveted their saddle back leather sofas they had 18 months ago...

I rather love that shop even though I'm sure the stuff is way over priced and I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Ethos83 Jan 28th 2012 8:11 am

What's this obsession with buying furniture in matching 3-4 piece sets?

Millhouse Jan 28th 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9869844)
Big Marina exotic warehouse has a sale on...

I coveted their saddle back leather sofas they had 18 months ago...

I rather love that shop even though I'm sure the stuff is way over priced and I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

It is, and you can... but yes, some of it is quite nice.

The Dean Jan 29th 2012 1:45 am

Can I be the first to risk abuse by recommending IKEA? I am aware of its image but the last furniture we bought there was and is superb - they've changed a lot over the years......

kittycat1 Jan 29th 2012 4:49 am

Bloomingdales have some lush furniture :D (Dubai Mall)

Millhouse Jan 29th 2012 5:05 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9871048)
Bloomingdales have some lush furniture :D (Dubai Mall)

I can't afford the cakes, let alone the sofas.

I'm currently looking at 'freedom' - some Auzzie chain.