British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where do I begin? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-do-i-begin-858845/)

Ribbon461 May 25th 2015 11:08 am

Where do I begin?

Hi guys,

Please excuse me if you think anything I ask is a stupid question...I am new to this and have lots of questions.

I would appreciate anyone's input...thank you!!

Okay so basically I am currently working as Maths teacher in London, just completing my second year. I am hoping to get job in Dubai for Sept 2016.

I have been this my partner for over 10 years we are both 26 and we plan to get married before we move over.

Ideally we want to save money in Dubai to then come back to London to buy a property.

My partner is not very well educated, but has vast experience in customer service based jobs, ranging from Police Officer to working in travel agencies. He is currently based in a hospital doing administrative work.

If anyone has any answers to the following this would be very helpful:

a) where can my partner look for jobs and will it be hard to secure a job one without a degree?

b) How much should we be looking to earn each month combined and what's the minimum pay I should expect as a teacher?

c) How does working abroad affect our taxes?

I am just really confused with where to start this whole process. Also with teachers can you start mid year or only September starts?

Thank you so much for reading all this, any help advice would be much appreciated.

DXBtoDOH May 25th 2015 11:45 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Ok. Response in red below.

Originally Posted by Ribbon461 (Post 11655845)
Hi guys,

a) where can my partner look for jobs and will it be hard to secure a job one without a degree?

Yes. Very difficult. Need to be flexible. There are bars that hire western staff. He'll make crap. But if it only matters that he's with you then it's an option. Apply widely. Maybe some sales positions are possible. He'll still make crap and work six day weeks. Depending on his hospital admin position maybe he can find an office admin role somewhere. Pay will be crap too.

b) How much should we be looking to earn each month combined and what's the minimum pay I should expect as a teacher?

Teachers make between 10-15K a month, with a one bedroom apartment provided.

Your partner? If he works in a bar? Maybe 5K. If he manages to stumble into a low key office admin job, maybe 7-10K if he's lucky. I emphasize the if he's lucky bit.

c) How does working abroad affect our taxes?

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax/living-working-abroad-offshore

I am just really confused with where to start this whole process. Also with teachers can you start mid year or only September starts?

Teachers are recruited for September starts.

Thank you so much for reading all this, any help advice would be much appreciated.

Bahtatboy May 25th 2015 1:25 pm

As above (re your partner). He'll be competing mainly with Filipinas for such roles, many of whom are degree-educated, well-spoken, flexible and willing to share a bedroom with several of their friends for accommodation. If he's got a USP he'll need to leverage that to the max: if he hasn't, he'll be competing with hordes of people who will accept conditions far below what most Brits would consider acceptable. It's not impossible, but far from easy.

TopNik May 27th 2015 6:43 am

How does working abroad affect our taxes?

Hello Ribbon461,

That all depends on whether you will be classed as UK resident or UK non-resident.

If UK non-resident your earnings in Dubai will not be subject to UK tax.

However, Residency is a very complex area and now involves the statutory residence test (SRT).

Visits to the UK and ties such as home, work, family etc. may class you as UK resident for tax purposes regardless of where you reside.

If classed as UK resident you would then be taxed on your worldwide income so it is very important that your individual circumstances are dealt with correctly to protect your residency status and exposure to UK taxation.

Ribbon461 May 27th 2015 7:53 am

Thank you all for your replies...I am extremely worried about my partner finding work...However I am contacting people that have worked out in dubai or lived there previously to see if they have any contacts.

If regards to the tax...We need to save as much money as we can to return to UK to buy a property so we need to avoid paying taxes on our return. Would this mean we would need to be UK non residents...what are the tests for? Residency?

scalpalot May 27th 2015 8:03 am

From what I understand, if you want to NOT pay taxes on your earnings outside the UK, then you would need to be UK non-resident. This means filling out a P85 form for the HMRC that effective,y notifies them that of your intention to leave the UK and live/work overseas, doing the statutory residence test (SRT) and limiting your time spent during any visits back home in the UK while you are overseas. There are other nuances too as TopNik suggests. The link below should provide more information:

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax/livi...broad-offshore

Meow May 27th 2015 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Ribbon461 (Post 11657850)
Thank you all for your replies...I am extremely worried about my partner finding work...However I am contacting people that have worked out in dubai or lived there previously to see if they have any contacts.

If regards to the tax...We need to save as much money as we can to return to UK to buy a property so we need to avoid paying taxes on our return. Would this mean we would need to be UK non residents...what are the tests for? Residency?

Info on UK Statutory Residency Test here: Information on the new UK Statutory Residency Test | Financialuae's Blog

The longer you remain out of the UK the easier but be wary of partial tax years.

For you partner, there are various sales position that he might consider although some will be commission only, such as estate agency, direct selling companies etc. He will find it harder but there are jobs for people with good admin skills, especially if he is well presented.

Good luck.

Irishbeekeeper May 27th 2015 8:46 am

I am hoping to get job in Dubai for Sept 2016.

More than a year to go, maybe your partner can take up night classes for a year's diploma in his current field but tell him to atleast stick with it because too many job changes never look good on any resume!

there are schools in sharjah and fujairah who will hire mid-term as well. Depends on how bad they want you thats all :)

Meow May 27th 2015 8:48 am

I missed the starting in September 2016 part. That is long term planning!

Ribbon461 May 27th 2015 11:26 am

Thank you for the information regarding the tests...yes we have planned the move for next summer...as we need to have our wedding some point before then too.

Another issue I have read about is that a woman cannot sponsor her husband?

I'm hoping he finds a job before we go so he can get a work visa.

I looked at some administration jobs and the pay is almost a third of what he gets after tax right now.

I'm hopeful it will all work out in the end but just so stressful trying to figure out all the eventualities.

Fossildog May 27th 2015 2:24 pm

Teachers at a good school can earn up to 20k a month, more with any management responsibility. If you are married they should provide you with a 2 bedroom flat. It may be possible for your partner to work as a TA in your school, pay will be around 5k a month but he will work only 5 days a week and the same hours as yourself.

Finding work without a degree would be very tough, even the most basic of office jobs now are advertised as needing a degree and you will be competing with well educated South East Asians who are prepared to work long hours for low pay.

Meow May 28th 2015 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Ribbon461 (Post 11658066)
Thank you for the information regarding the tests...yes we have planned the move for next summer...as we need to have our wedding some point before then too.

Another issue I have read about is that a woman cannot sponsor her husband?

I'm hoping he finds a job before we go so he can get a work visa.

I looked at some administration jobs and the pay is almost a third of what he gets after tax right now.

I'm hopeful it will all work out in the end but just so stressful trying to figure out all the eventualities.

A woman can sponsor her husband. It's common for teachers to do this so that shouldn't be a worry.

Most admin roles, at least at a basic level, are taken by Indians and Filipinos who will work for rather less than a Westerner. That is one of the unfair things about the UAE.

You cannot have everything figured out so you can simply ensure that the money is enough to make it worthwhile.

Millhouse May 28th 2015 1:26 pm

I'd say that he has enough time to rush through the first two levels of the FPC and come out here as a fanatical adviser.

Meow May 28th 2015 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11659219)
I'd say that he has enough time to rush through the first two levels of the FPC and come out here as a fanatical adviser.

You spelled salesman wrong.

Ribbon461 May 28th 2015 2:33 pm

Thank you all your advice....what is a FCP?

Also sorry for the million questions but I keep coming across Dubai Free zone...can someone explain what that is please...Thank u :)