Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Hi,

I have up to 20,000 Dirhams to buy a cheap airport/town run about. Dealers are going to be too expensive and I know there are notice boards in Spinneys but does anyone know of where else to look for a reputable, non chop-shop ex-accident death trap? Are there police auctions? Whatever did happen to those cars that were alledgedly abandoned when people fled the country? I just want a very short (Toyota Yaris or similar) car so I can park it!

Also I need to know how to register it, insure it etc.

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:26 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by shandolier View Post
Hi,

I have up to 20,000 Dirhams to buy a cheap airport/town run about. Dealers are going to be too expensive and I know there are notice boards in Spinneys but does anyone know of where else to look for a reputable, non chop-shop ex-accident death trap? Are there police auctions? Whatever did happen to those cars that were alledgedly abandoned when people fled the country? I just want a very short (Toyota Yaris or similar) car so I can park it!

Thanks guys!
you dont fancy being a modeo man?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:47 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier View Post
Hi,

Thanks guys!
Around 3 months ago I embarked on this very exercise. I set a budget of 20k to look for a 3 year old Yaris. It appears that these muppets believe that Yaris' and Tildas depreciate at a maximum rate of 10% per annum and that the second hand value of the car is completely independent of its condition.

I think the lowest I got to was 22k for a 3 year old manual Tilda covered in stone chips. I applied the usual millhouse test - cold start without touching any of the pedals. it failed. I walked away.

basically they are all shit.

in the end, I reluctantly upped my budget to 45k, went to Dubai and found a newly fired expat doing a firesale of a pajero. I think that the second hand private sale market in Dubai is the best place to go car hunting.

There were a couple of Ford Focus' going for sale, c.17k. They seem to be good value as they depreciate like mad here.

I'm working on the basis that if I can flog the Pajero for 25k (should be no problem) in 9 months time (roughly when I expect to be fired) then my loss will be 20k - the same a leasing a Yaris for the year only I get a much safer car.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:56 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Why not go cheaper and get a mid to late 90s BMW for well under 20k?