British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-buy-car-abu-dhabi-642743/)

shandolier Nov 30th 2009 12:05 pm

Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Hi,

I have up to 20,000 Dirhams to buy a cheap airport/town run about. Dealers are going to be too expensive and I know there are notice boards in Spinneys but does anyone know of where else to look for a reputable, non chop-shop ex-accident death trap? Are there police auctions? Whatever did happen to those cars that were alledgedly abandoned when people fled the country? I just want a very short (Toyota Yaris or similar) car so I can park it!

Also I need to know how to register it, insure it etc.

Thanks guys!

commander Nov 30th 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Where to buy a car in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by shandolier (Post 8135408)
Hi,

I have up to 20,000 Dirhams to buy a cheap airport/town run about. Dealers are going to be too expensive and I know there are notice boards in Spinneys but does anyone know of where else to look for a reputable, non chop-shop ex-accident death trap? Are there police auctions? Whatever did happen to those cars that were alledgedly abandoned when people fled the country? I just want a very short (Toyota Yaris or similar) car so I can park it!

Thanks guys!

you dont fancy being a modeo man?

Millhouse Nov 30th 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by shandolier (Post 8135408)
Hi,

Thanks guys!

Around 3 months ago I embarked on this very exercise. I set a budget of 20k to look for a 3 year old Yaris. It appears that these muppets believe that Yaris' and Tildas depreciate at a maximum rate of 10% per annum and that the second hand value of the car is completely independent of its condition.

I think the lowest I got to was 22k for a 3 year old manual Tilda covered in stone chips. I applied the usual millhouse test - cold start without touching any of the pedals. it failed. I walked away.

basically they are all shit.

in the end, I reluctantly upped my budget to 45k, went to Dubai and found a newly fired expat doing a firesale of a pajero. I think that the second hand private sale market in Dubai is the best place to go car hunting.

There were a couple of Ford Focus' going for sale, c.17k. They seem to be good value as they depreciate like mad here.

I'm working on the basis that if I can flog the Pajero for 25k (should be no problem) in 9 months time (roughly when I expect to be fired) then my loss will be 20k - the same a leasing a Yaris for the year only I get a much safer car.

Aikman7981 Dec 1st 2009 3:56 am

Why not go cheaper and get a mid to late 90s BMW for well under 20k?