British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   When was the last time you went to the Beach? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/when-last-time-you-went-beach-528793/)

admon Apr 12th 2008 11:38 am

When was the last time you went to the Beach?

I assume one of the reasons a lot of us move here for (apart from the jobs/money factor), is the climate (well some of the year anyway) and the beach.

But do many of us venture there?
I know I did when I first got here (but now I can rarely be bothered apart from the summer months when the sea is as warm as bath water), so tend to lol about in the garden pool instead.
Although it must be said the wife still prefers to go to the beach.

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 11:46 am

Re: When was the last time you went to the Beach?

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6197757)
I assume one of the reasons a lot of us move here for (apart from the jobs/money factor), is the climate (well some of the year anyway) and the beach.

But do many of us venture there?
I know I did when I first got here (but now I can rarely be bothered apart from the summer months when the sea is as warm as bath water), so tend to lol about in the garden pool instead.
Although it must be said the wife still prefers to go to the beach.

yesterday...and I sometimes go 3 or 4 times a week...when BE is boring...

admon Apr 12th 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197792)
yesterday...and I sometimes go 3 or 4 times a week...when BE is boring...

you mean like right now...

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 11:54 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6197801)
you mean like right now...

well...I have to say that I have not read everything on that horse thread (and I am not sure I ought to) and the kitten one...but I am a bit confused as to what is going on...who is attacking who...and why...and what the point is apart from being rude to each other...
Do I 'know' you by the way?
I had sort of hoped it would have all died down today but from looking at things at a glance, it seems not...not cause I don't like a good row from time to time (hey, who am I kidding) but this just seems to be a bit random...

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197815)
well...I have to say that I have not read everything on that horse thread (and I am not sure I ought to) and the kitten one...but I am a bit confused as to what is going on...who is attacking who...and why...and what the point is apart from being rude to each other...
Do I 'know' you by the way?
I had sort of hoped it would have all died down today but from looking at things at a glance, it seems not...not cause I don't like a good row from time to time (hey, who am I kidding) but this just seems to be a bit random...

Yes it is a bit random, I agree.
I did make a small comment that was a little naughty and that opened the floodgates. Since then it has been pretty non-stop.
I actually find it quite funny that people who do not know me at all think that they can attempt to insult me and really think that I will care in the slightest.

Anyway, lets make this a beach thread - if anyone is interested...

Edited just to add - No I doubt very much if we know each other.

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 12:14 pm

I always go to Jumeira Beach Park...best value for money...
Love the weather here...can't imagine moving to a cold climate...

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197897)
I always go to Jumeira Beach Park...best value for money...
Love the weather here...can't imagine moving to a cold climate...

Yep, the wife always prefers beach park. I prefer just driving on the beach near Pizza Hut, nice and quiet.
I prefer peace and quiet, although looking at the forum posts you would never believe it.

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6197913)
Yep, the wife always prefers beach park. I prefer just driving on the beach near Pizza Hut, nice and quiet.
I prefer peace and quiet, although looking at the forum posts you would never believe it.

well..I like a chair and a toilet in case I need to go....other than that I have my Ipod and my book and I don't pay much attention to anything else...

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197919)
well..I like a chair and a toilet in case I need to go....other than that I have my Ipod and my book and I don't pay much attention to anything else...

So how long did it take you to ignore the stares?

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6197934)
So how long did it take you to ignore the stares?

oh not that old chesnut again....I really really cannot be bothered about that...It's the same everywhere...go and lie on a beach in Italy and it's even worse cause they will actually come and chat you up....here they just look...but they will not say anything...so it's very easy to ignore...
If you don't like it, then don't go to the 'cheap' beaches...easy as that. These guys work 6 days a week for next to nothing...and on their day off the go to the malls or the beach...so what...
(and if guys would not look at me anymore I would be gutted...)

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197952)
oh not that old chesnut again....I really really cannot be bothered about that...It's the same everywhere...go and lie on a beach in Italy and it's even worse cause they will actually come and chat you up....here they just look...but they will not say anything...so it's very easy to ignore...
If you don't like it, then don't go to the 'cheap' beaches...easy as that. These guys work 6 days a week for next to nothing...and on their day off the go to the malls or the beach...so what...
(and if guys would not look at me anymore I would be gutted...)

Yeah I'd much rather the wife sat on a beach here than in Capri, for sure.
Just a little disconcerting at first I would think.

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6197960)
Yeah I'd much rather the wife sat on a beach here than in Capri, for sure.
Just a little disconcerting at first I would think.

hope the wife agrees....

can't really remember the 'first' time to be honest...but it has never been an issue and I am a bit fed up with the whole thing...we have been going to the beach every Friday for 3,5 years now and I have never had a problem. During the week I am on my own and apart from the odd daredevil coming up to me I am always left in peace...

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6197984)
hope the wife agrees....

:blink: Yeah I hope so too!
Nah she is a good girl.

MataHari Apr 12th 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6198008)
:blink: Yeah I hope so too!
Nah she is a good girl.

aren't they all....

admon Apr 12th 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6198019)
aren't they all....

He he.
There is that saying - There are nice girls and good girls.