Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

View Poll Results: When was Dubai last a lovely place to live in?
30+ years ago, before Federation
2.27%
20 years ago, when we all nightclubbed in Sharjah
13.64%
10 years ago, when there was "nothing but the Trade Centre"
25.00%
5 years ago, when the Madinat was still Chicago Beach Village
25.00%
It's the perfect lovely place now
20.45%
Dubai's golden age hasn't dawned yet
13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:37 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
People driving flash cars, holidaying all the time etc
The number of people here who are truly wealthy is very small. If you could peek behind the scenes of the apparent surface wealth (and Dubai is all about shallow, superficial surface wealth), you'd find that the majority of expats who run flash cars and go on holiday all the time are up to their eyeballs in debt because of it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys I got to say that this is the most interesting thread I have read in a long time. A real eye opener to say the least. I have always felt like we were being left behind in this rat race but it appears not. ALOT of people have it worse than us. It still hasn't deterred me not to try and find a slower pace of life up in Al Ain though.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:42 pm
W10

I'd move to Fujairah in a heartbeat if the commute wasn't so long.

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
you'd find that the majority of expats who run flash cars and go on holiday all the time are up to their eyeballs in debt because of it.
FACT!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:43 pm
W10

Oh no...remember...you couldn't possibly live on less than 30k a year

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Maybe they'll build a high-speed rail link next year

and it will be built by unionised workforce
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Al will be permanent, not a commute. Either Al Ain or RAK.

Originally Posted by W10
Oh no...remember...you couldn't possibly live on less than 30k a year
a year
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by jvr20
Maybe they'll build a high-speed rail link next year

and it will be built by unionised workforce
the rail system will only run in Dubai, to force people to live and work here. I know that on good authority
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:47 pm
W10

Originally Posted by GarethR
The number of people here who are truly wealthy is very small. If you could peek behind the scenes of the apparent surface wealth (and Dubai is all about shallow, superficial surface wealth), you'd find that the majority of expats who run flash cars and go on holiday all the time are up to their eyeballs in debt because of it.
I'm not really saving money because I am travelling so much - it has lengthened my stay here because I want to visit every country in the mid-east (including Iraq and Iran), some of the stans (Pak and Khazak) and bits of south-east Asia before I leave

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
I'm not really saving money because I am travelling so much - it has lengthened my stay here because I want to visit every country in the mid-east (including Iraq and Iran), some of the stans (Pak and Khazak) and bits of south-east Asia before I leave
good on you! get to see the world why you can. We don't save anything but we have bought an apartment in Bulgaria and have had a couple of lovely holidays in the Maldives. I too want to travel more and visit Sri Lanka and different parts of Thailand too. I would love to see the far east as well but will wait until madam is a bit older for that.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

good on you! get to see the world why you can. We don't save anything but we have bought an apartment in Bulgaria and have had a couple of lovely holidays in the Maldives. I too want to travel more and visit Sri Lanka and different parts of Thailand too. I would love to see the far east as well but will wait until madam is a bit older for that.
i would like a nice holiday back in cold wet old blighty!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Either Al Ain or RAK.

Al Ain over RAK - any day
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say that if Western expats now come over to Dubai on a not so good package it's their own decision. There is plenty of info available to find out beforehand about the cost of living here and everything that goes with it. If they still come over and start complaining that does annoy me. Do your research, set some goals and stick to them. In most cases it's not as if they had to leave their homecountry.
I do not consider ourselves lucky to be here on a good package...if the package had not been good, we would not have come, simple as that.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:30 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! On EPW there was a thread where one particular person felt bitter that she had been fed the wrong information about Dubai and hated it here. But as you say, you need to do you're own research.

What suits one person, doesn't suit all as they say.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I'd say that if Western expats now come over to Dubai on a not so good package it's their own decision. There is plenty of info available to find out beforehand about the cost of living here and everything that goes with it. If they still come over and start complaining that does annoy me. Do your research, set some goals and stick to them. In most cases it's not as if they had to leave their homecountry.
I do not consider ourselves lucky to be here on a good package...if the package had not been good, we would not have come, simple as that.
spooky...i couldn't have put it better myself doll...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.