Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

View Poll Results: When was Dubai last a lovely place to live in?
30+ years ago, before Federation
2.27%
20 years ago, when we all nightclubbed in Sharjah
13.64%
10 years ago, when there was "nothing but the Trade Centre"
25.00%
5 years ago, when the Madinat was still Chicago Beach Village
25.00%
It's the perfect lovely place now
20.45%
Dubai's golden age hasn't dawned yet
13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:37 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold
Default When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Further to the when-did-the-novelty-wear-off? thread, when is the last time that people think Dubai was a genuinely lovely place to live in?

When I first arrived here six years ago it was a truly great place. For at least the first two years, and it was quite pleasant for about a year after then.

Then it descended into hell. Many people have criticised my blog for being much more "negative" in recent years, and I agree with them, but that's how I feel about the city in recent years.

I am not sure what the trigger of hell was, but possibly Jumeirah Beach Residence. Certainly something that forever changed Dubai from a very lovely, large town-city with a real sense of community, into a "shutthefckuporgohome" place of mass labour exploitation, soaring living costs, escalating rents, traffic gridlock construction hell, and generally no longer the kind of city I really want to live in.

Which is why I'm probably not going to be here much longer to be honest. "If you don't like it, leave" - well I don't, so I probably will.

But when do others believe that the "Golden Age" of Dubai finished? Was it ten years ago? Twenty, when everyone went to Sharjah for a good night out? Thirty plus, before Federation? Or has the Golden Age not dawned yet?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:34 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When was Dubai last a lovely place?

I'd say late 90's to early 00's. Packages were still good and prices/traffic/garbage hadn't taken off yet. I got there in 2004 and watched it go from just bearable to 'get me the hell out of here' in about 2 years...i don't even care to visit anymore and from what the few people i still know there (most have left due to disgust) it isn't worth it even if the money is good...
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:37 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TA5
I'd say late 90's to early 00's. Packages were still good and prices/traffic/garbage hadn't taken off yet. I got there in 2004 and watched it go from just bearable to 'get me the hell out of here' in about 2 years...i don't even care to visit anymore and from what the few people i still know there (most have left due to disgust) it isn't worth it even if the money is good...
Actually I have thought of one significant event: the May before I arrived, the abolished free healthcare for expats. That was possibly the single most significant trigger in the new "Dubai: The City That Doesn't Care" branding campaign.

30 years ago there was no A/C. 20 years ago there were no decent supermarkets. 10 years ago there was no internet or satellite TV. So probably about 5-7 years ago was the golden time.

A peaceful, relatively uncongested, prosperous and happy mid-sized city.

Sadly no more.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: When was Dubai last a lovely place?

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who seem to be professional whingers.
Secret Dubai, if you actually don't like the place then why are you still here? I suspect you actually enjoy a good whinge (which is fine) and i am certain that you'll still be here next year, and the year after - still whingeing.
I do love your admission that you "probably will leave" - i think if you truly didn't like the place then you would not be here. In reality, i think you secretly enjoy the whinge and deep down you realise that there is no-where else that would allow you the standard of living that you actually enjoy.
To me, the UAE is a wonderful place to live, but one which has it's flaws (where in the world doesn't have flaws). You have tax-free earnings, year-round great weather (yes, i know it's hot in the summer, but wouldn't you rather this than unbearable cold and rain), very cheap housemaids etc., cheap cars & petrol, wonderful restaurants (very expensive, and very cheap and everything in between). You have private schooling for your kids (probably paid for by your company), an amazing amount of sports facilities (usually free or very cheap), wonderful shopping etc. etc. etc. I could go on, but can't be bothered.
Work out what it's cost you to have this lifestyle where you come from and see if you still hate it. If so, for god's sake leave - life is too short.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:15 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistopher
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who seem to be professional whingers.
Secret Dubai, if you actually don't like the place then why are you still here? I suspect you actually enjoy a good whinge (which is fine) and i am certain that you'll still be here next year, and the year after - still whingeing.
I do love your admission that you "probably will leave" - i think if you truly didn't like the place then you would not be here. In reality, i think you secretly enjoy the whinge and deep down you realise that there is no-where else that would allow you the standard of living that you actually enjoy.
To me, the UAE is a wonderful place to live, but one which has it's flaws (where in the world doesn't have flaws). You have tax-free earnings, year-round great weather (yes, i know it's hot in the summer, but wouldn't you rather this than unbearable cold and rain), very cheap housemaids etc., cheap cars & petrol, wonderful restaurants (very expensive, and very cheap and everything in between). You have private schooling for your kids (probably paid for by your company), an amazing amount of sports facilities (usually free or very cheap), wonderful shopping etc. etc. etc. I could go on, but can't be bothered.
Work out what it's cost you to have this lifestyle where you come from and see if you still hate it. If so, for god's sake leave - life is too short.
Cheap Maids is a good thing? For who? I thought we were in the 21st Century.
As for companies paying for education - it's getting rarer and rarer.

Oh, and I'm leaving. Today.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to London...Dubai is paradise. Everywhere has it's faults, but i'd much rather be here than in the UK any day...

MM, xx
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Little Jimmy, you can't attempt to claim the moral high ground on cheap labour and then carry on your lovely life here where cheap labour touches every single facet of your life. I can imagine you'll have an issue with my suggestion that out here is a "Lovely life". In which case, you should be leaving now.
Cheap labour is a comparative thing - sure, we might find it at the very least disgraceful that people are paid so little, but basic economics dictate these wage levels - and has done since time began.
Again, school fees and general package levels are a function of basic economics - school fees don't seem to be too rare within the Construction Industry with good companies. As in the UK, you must be happy with your level of pay/benefits or you have 2 choices - 1) Negotiate a better package there or elsewhere and leave, or 2) Shut up about it and get on enjoying life.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:44 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the UAE is a wonderful place to live
Let me guess - you're one of the ever-decreasing number of expats who's on a feather-bed package?

You have tax-free earnings
That's becoming more irrelevant by the year. Pay rises are very rare in Dubai; rises in the cost of living are very common. You do the maths. Oh, and throw in the ever-decreasing value of the dirham while you're at it.

year-round great weather (yes, i know it's hot in the summer, but wouldn't you rather this than unbearable cold and rain)
I know you might find this hard to comprehend, but occasional rain really isn't the worst thing in the world.

And a great many people clearly *don't* prefer the heat, judging by the way the city empties of expat wives and children during the summer.

The weather here is great from around October to May. But I honestly prefer the English winter to the Dubai summer. Believe it or not, it *doesn't* rain every single day in the winter, and you get lots of wonderfully clear, crisp days. And even the rain doesn't stop people doing things outside in the winter in the UK - the heat very definitely stops people doing things outside in the summer in Dubai.

You have private schooling for your kids (probably paid for by your company)
That's becoming ever-rarer. And it's not much to shout about anyway; it's certainly nowhere close to the quality of education provided by private schools in Europe.

You know what I really dislike about Dubai? The way it turns people who were probably quite nice in their own countries into arrogant, self-centred tossers who don't give a crap about anyone else.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

If you don't like it you can always leave!

Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:59 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Little Jimmy, you can't attempt to claim the moral high ground on cheap labour and then carry on your lovely life here where cheap labour touches every single facet of your life. I can imagine you'll have an issue with my suggestion that out here is a "Lovely life". In which case, you should be leaving now.
Cheap labour is a comparative thing - sure, we might find it at the very least disgraceful that people are paid so little, but basic economics dictate these wage levels - and has done since time began.
Again, school fees and general package levels are a function of basic economics - school fees don't seem to be too rare within the Construction Industry with good companies. As in the UK, you must be happy with your level of pay/benefits or you have 2 choices - 1) Negotiate a better package there or elsewhere and leave, or 2) Shut up about it and get on enjoying life.
Maybe you didn't read what I typed, twistopher. I said I am leaving. I can't be doing with it any more. Knowing some poor sap is earning 1,000 a month or less can really spoilt the champagne brunches. (c) Gareth
Dubai encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern life. Fake. Shallow. Corrupt. Built on slavery. If you're happy, really really happy, good for you. I reserve the right to moan about it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GarethR
Let me guess - you're one of the ever-decreasing number of expats who's on a feather-bed package?

No, Gareth, wrong - i'm one of the Expats who (having been brought up in the Middle East and learned to love and embrace their culture - faults and all) has now recently returned to enjoy the whole experience.

That's becoming more irrelevant by the year. Pay rises are very rare in Dubai; rises in the cost of living are very common. You do the maths. Oh, and throw in the ever-decreasing value of the dirham while you're at it.

Have you compared the cost of living in UK with here lately? Food is cheaper here (unless you simply have to have all UK stuff), cars are cheaper, petrol is cheaper, insurance is cheaper, house prices are significantly cheaper (to buy), clothes are cheaper, etc etc etc.

I know you might find this hard to comprehend, but occasional rain really isn't the worst thing in the world.

No, it isn't - but it is paricularly depressing to look at it day in, day out. Unlike a good bit of sunshine.

And a great many people clearly *don't* prefer the heat, judging by the way the city empties of expat wives and children during the summer.

The place empties because companies pay for return tickets to your place of origin each year. Do companies pay for your air tickets each year to go on holiday from UK? This is a perk that people often seem to ignore as their right.

The weather here is great from around October to May. But I honestly prefer the English winter to the Dubai summer. Believe it or not, it *doesn't* rain every single day in the winter, and you get lots of wonderfully clear, crisp days. And even the rain doesn't stop people doing things outside in the winter in the UK - the heat very definitely stops people doing things outside in the summer in Dubai.

Try getting out of bed early and enjoy a bit of a siesta at lunchtime - is it any wonder the locals do it, the Spanish do it etc.?

That's becoming ever-rarer. And it's not much to shout about anyway; it's certainly nowhere close to the quality of education provided by private schools in Europe.

Have you priced good education in UK these days? Have a look and see how much it'll cost you, once you've paid your income tax, NI, council tax, petrol tax ........

You know what I really dislike about Dubai? The way it turns people who were probably quite nice in their own countries into arrogant, self-centred tossers who don't give a crap about anyone else.
Very nice - a bit of an insult without having a clue what you're talking about. Very intelligent.
Firstly, i live in Abu Dhabi, and am much happier for it.
Secondly, you have missed my whole point. I was suggesting exactly the same that you were accusing me of - that most expats seem to come over here and expect the whole place to stop and change their way of life to how they would like it. There are any number of people like that on this website. They complain about lack of free speech, that they can't look at the websites they want to, about the driving, the traffic, the rents, the cheap labour force, and on and on and on. Garden of Eden this place ain't - but take it for what it is and enjoy it. There is very little you'll manage to change - the whole Middle East region hasn't changed much (in terms of culture and socio-economic issues) from when i was here in the 70's and 80's, and it's unlikely to change much in the future. However, what has changed is peoples view of an ever-growing portion of the expat community, as exactly what you seem to have mistaken me for - money-grabbing, arrogant, self-centred tossers who think they are more important (as an expat entity) than the country and culture.
In the 80's Bahrain decided to "Bahrainize" a lot of the expat positions, which was met with derision from the expat commnity. Imagine their surprise, total panic and complete change in attitude when it started to happen (admittedly with limited success). It really brings people down a peg or two when they are threatened with repatriation back to the country they have spent years placing on a pedestal.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Maybe you didn't read what I typed, twistopher. I said I am leaving. I can't be doing with it any more. Knowing some poor sap is earning 1,000 a month or less can really spoilt the champagne brunches. (c) Gareth
Dubai encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern life. Fake. Shallow. Corrupt. Built on slavery. If you're happy, really really happy, good for you. I reserve the right to moan about it.

Little Jimmy - enjoy UK. You need to be with your wife and kids. Having read your blog regularly, i sympathise with your situation.
Just one thing - tell me which of the problems you mention about Dubai is also present in UK (just a little better hidden). All of them - they are present throughout the world to one degree or another. It just so happens that the UAE is not as practiced as UK at hiding them.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I am happy in the UAE, the city grew around me so to say and I am proud of the way some of it has developed. To see the Burj on the telly when it opened was amazing! Dubai was a great place right up until the Greedy Landlord situation. That is what spoilt it for most people. We downsized to an apartment and still enjoy what Dubai has to offer. I would however love to move to Al Ain!! (dubai 15 years ago!) we are working on it

I wouldn't want to leave the UAE though even with it's faults. It has been kind to me
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Now that's the kind of attitude we need in here!!
Haven't been to Al Ain, yet - might have a trip soon, and look out for the wife-swappers!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's the kind of attitude we need in here!!
Haven't been to Al Ain, yet - might have a trip soon, and look out for the wife-swappers!!
if you do, try the Hilton, nice and laid back with a good bar called Pacos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.