British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   When do you resign? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/when-do-you-resign-939129/)

MyintD Jun 19th 2021 6:44 pm

When do you resign?

Hello everyone,

This may sound a very basic question, but i want to on be cautious side as relocating to Abu Dhabi is a different experience.

I am expecting to receive the formal offer contract (passed the security check already) very soon and after i sign the contract the visa process begins and later health check, etc.

Can I resign immediately after i sign the contract? Anything i should be wary of?

Thanks

UKMS Jun 20th 2021 5:24 am

Re: When do you resign?

Originally Posted by MyintD (Post 13019489)
Hello everyone,

This may sound a very basic question, but i want to on be cautious side as relocating to Abu Dhabi is a different experience.

I am expecting to receive the formal offer contract (passed the security check already) very soon and after i sign the contract the visa process begins and later health check, etc.

Can I resign immediately after i sign the contract? Anything i should be wary of?

Thanks

When you say health check ...... do you mean the visa medical or something more that the new employer requires ? if the later are you confident you will pass ? What is your start date -v- notice period ?

MyintD Jun 20th 2021 11:33 am

Very valid questions. I think HR mentioned the health check will be done after I arrive in UAE. My notice period is 3 months and visa application could take 3 to 6 weeks. Nevertheless, let me ask them these questions and confirm again. Thanks!

Johnnyboy11 Jun 20th 2021 3:03 pm

The 'offer' that you refer to is not a contract, just the potential offer of a contract at some point in the future. It will come with many conditions, which you should fully understand and accept before you resign from your current position. Things to look out for are:
Passing the UK Police Clearance check
Passing both the UK and AD Medical checks
Your degree certificate being accepted by the AD Embassy in London
Client approval of your position
90 day probation period (with immediate termination right on both sides)
Also worth pointing out that the contract you are eventually asked to sign may not be what you understood from the offer, and by then there's not much you can do about it.
Two classic cases are: 6-day working week and embedded weekend days counting against your Annual Leave entitlement.
Read the 'offer' very carefully and get written clarification of anything you are unsure about. Ask your prospective employer to advise you when it recommends you resign from your current position.

MyintD Jun 20th 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks. That's very thorough.

They do suggest not to resign until i pass the security check which i have just passed (for example, degree certificate attested for UAE government).

I guess there is not much you can do about the probation period? That's the risk you have to take.

Thanks for the working hours reminder. It's indeed not mentioned in the offer letter. Let me get clarification.

Again, very helpful. Thanks!