Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

When can a landlord evict you in Dubai?

When can a landlord evict you in Dubai?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default When can a landlord evict you in Dubai?

My landlord is trying to increase the rent when our lease comes up for renewal in Jan. I have found out thanks to RERA that he's not officially allowed to increase the rent. However, if I go back to him and say I'm not paying a penny more, can he then turn around and say 'fine, in that case I will not renew your lease and get someone in who will pay what I want'.

I am trying to find some evidence that says he is not allowed to evict me UNLESS he wants to live in it himself (which he would have to do for at least a year) or I have not payed rent or ruined the flat. (I have paid the rent and looked after the place).

Any advice on whether or not this is true, and where can I find an article or something online to support my theory?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:32 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When can a landlord evict you in Dubai?

Originally Posted by shandolier
My landlord is trying to increase the rent when our lease comes up for renewal in Jan. I have found out thanks to RERA that he's not officially allowed to increase the rent. However, if I go back to him and say I'm not paying a penny more, can he then turn around and say 'fine, in that case I will not renew your lease and get someone in who will pay what I want'.

I am trying to find some evidence that says he is not allowed to evict me UNLESS he wants to live in it himself (which he would have to do for at least a year) or I have not payed rent or ruined the flat. (I have paid the rent and looked after the place).

Any advice on whether or not this is true, and where can I find an article or something online to support my theory?
if he doesnt renew your lease, then he is not evicting you, he is simply not renewing the lease.

he's not allowed to increase the rent nor is he allowed to evict you during your current lease, but that does not stop him from renewing the lease on new terms.

if you dont accept the new terms & conditions, that is up to you, but then you need to be prepared to find somewhere else to live at the end of your lease.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I am sure that rents are still falling in Dubai. If he is putting his rate up then start looking elsewhere.

It is a renters market as far as I am led to believe.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:50 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier

It used to be that the first year the landlord cannot increase the rent, the second year it can be up to 5%, third year another 5%.
We were told unless the landlord moves immediate family in, they cannot kick you out - this came from visiting RERA who were very helpful (and a colleague went to court over this with his landlord, won the case and the landlord was stuffed - had to cover costs as well).
We had this issue a few years ago, at the mention of our visit to RERA the landlords attitude became far nicer.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 7:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
if he doesnt renew your lease, then he is not evicting you, he is simply not renewing the lease.

he's not allowed to increase the rent nor is he allowed to evict you during your current lease, but that does not stop him from renewing the lease on new terms.

if you dont accept the new terms & conditions, that is up to you, but then you need to be prepared to find somewhere else to live at the end of your lease.
This is correct.

Your contract is annually renewable and there is no legal requirement for the landlord to renew if he does not want to.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:07 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
This is correct.

Your contract is annually renewable and there is no legal requirement for the landlord to renew if he does not want to.
Are you sure about that? Admittedly, it was 2007, but RERA told us that due to the expense of moving house you are entitled to three years unless the landlord moves themselves/direct family in.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

the landlord is not allowed to increase the rent for the 2nd year.

I'll be renewing my current lease next month for another year at the same rental price. Although my landlord is a bank (they own the entire building) and so it'll be interesting to see come next year if they increase the rent and by how much.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Although my landlord is a bank (they own the entire building) and so it'll be interesting to see come next year if they increase the rent and by how much.
a bank? that's sweet then, they're not known for usury, sneaking in charges and generally running a big scam...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
a bank? that's sweet then, they're not known for usury, sneaking in charges and generally running a big scam...
banks can be the worse, in abu because the law states they can increase each year by 5% then they automatically do that...!!! hmh the prices have come down....
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Are you sure about that? Admittedly, it was 2007, but RERA told us that due to the expense of moving house you are entitled to three years unless the landlord moves themselves/direct family in.
Most contracts are worded in that way. Wouldn't you do that as a landlord?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

GingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really nice

I know with our rental agreement the landlord specifically requested a "non renewable 1 year lease" in the agreement in order to try to increase it, we've renewed twice and got the price down each time.....

if it doesnt say that then I think year 2 you cant increase the rent by more than 5%