Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

whats Riyadh like for a western family

whats Riyadh like for a western family

Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats Riyadh like for a western family

Originally Posted by norsk
I wasn't attempting to make a big point out of who has lived there and who hasn't (and I definitely don't want to stop people giving their opinion), but the fact is that this forum is full of people who are more than happy to say negative things about life in Saudi at every opportunity and sometimes it just seems a bit excessive.

Threads I have seen on here about Saudi are incredibly one-sided and it isn't because nobody enjoys their life here, but because if someone speaks up then they are more often than not told that they must be wrong as there are plenty of people who didn't like it for this or that reason.

People who join the forum to ask about life in Saudi probably aren't expecting to be told only how horrible it is and then told that they'd be fools to consider it. They are looking for objective information to enable them to make up their own minds about whether they should or shouldn't come here to live and work.

Sorry for the rant..I must not be feeling well.
Well, I loved it there...and miss it still.
Hey, ar du fran Norge eller Sverige?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:19 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Well, I loved it there...and miss it still.
Hey, ar du fran Norge eller Sverige?
Opprinnelig fra Norge, men bodd utenlands mesteparten av livet. Saudi er det femte landet jeg har bodd i så langt...

Og du er svensk eller?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

kikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Nic1

I can see your points of view, but let me reassure you that the drugs problem you indicated really is nothing new. I lived in Puerto Rico and Nairobi in the late 60s to mid 70 and gosh it sounded just like school. And guess what, my kids went to school in France, just over the border from Geneva and had exactly the same experiences.
I can see that not being able to go to the cinema in a loose group would be difficult, but I'm sure there are other things instead.
As for drinking coffee behind a curtain, is it much better to be whistled at every 30 seconds as it is in some other countries.

There isn't a country in the world that is a utopia, but travelling around and experiencing new cultures and other ways of life in itself is a rich experience. To learn and appreciate something different is a priveledge surely. Not to mention that perhaps it allows you to appreciate your home society for it's good points too.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

AnnieP09 is an unknown quantity at this point

The drugs alcohol issues happens EVERYHWERE. you cannot possibly tarnish Saudi because of that! Crime is less here than in UK generally and some of the aspects of the way the nationals live their lives, I think we westerners could learn a lot from. Sure things are different, isnt that whats makes the world go around? There is good and bad in all and I think at the moment with the state of UK economy etc...give your kids a broader outlook on life and open up the world of opportunities that are available to them. If you dont like it.... UK is going nowhere.... literally!!! so you can always return anytime
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Opprinnelig fra Norge, men bodd utenlands mesteparten av livet. Saudi er det femte landet jeg har bodd i så langt...

Og du er svensk eller?
Nej, jag ar tysk, men jag har familj i Sverige.
Vet du vilken compound du skar bo i? Det ar mycket viktigt att compounden ar bra...om den ar daligt, Saudi kan vara hemskt att bo i.

Jag har bott in Riyadh 4 ar, vi stortrivdes dar!

XXX
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AnnieP09
The drugs alcohol issues happens EVERYHWERE. you cannot possibly tarnish Saudi because of that! Crime is less here than in UK generally and some of the aspects of the way the nationals live their lives, I think we westerners could learn a lot from. Sure things are different, isnt that whats makes the world go around? There is good and bad in all and I think at the moment with the state of UK economy etc...give your kids a broader outlook on life and open up the world of opportunities that are available to them. If you dont like it.... UK is going nowhere.... literally!!! so you can always return anytime
Tarnish Saudi sounds somehow funny...lol!
You can't compare Alcohol in Saudi to any country where it is legal.
And I do not think your children's horizon will be broadened by living in Saudi.

Anyhow, as I have said umpteen times before, i did like living there...still, one should at least try to have a somewhat realistic outlook.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Nej, jag ar tysk, men jag har familj i Sverige.
Vet du vilken compound du skar bo i? Det ar mycket viktigt att compounden ar bra...om den ar daligt, Saudi kan vara hemskt att bo i.

Jag har bott in Riyadh 4 ar, vi stortrivdes dar!

XXX
Hyggelig å treffe deg!

Jeg bor allerede i Khobar i en compound med mindre enn 30% vestlige. Jeg valgte det fordi jeg er mer redd for at en av de soldatene som sitter i checkpointet skal skyte meg ved en feiltagelse enn å bli overfalt av ekstremister...

Men jeg skal bare bo der et par måneder til før jeg flytter til Bahrain. Kona var lite lysten på å bo i Saudi når jeg ga henne valget om å bo der eller i Saudi når hun kommer nedover. Og for å være helt ærlig så var det et enkelt valg siden det koster mer å finne en bra compound i Saudi enn et kjempesvært hus med badebasseng i Bahrain.

Det er bra det er noen som gidder å forsvare livet i Saudi. Jeg blir litt lei av å lese alle de negative tingene folk skriver. Selvfølgelig er det vanskelig og annerledes men som alt i livet så er det hva man gjør det til selv.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hyggelig å treffe deg!

Jeg bor allerede i Khobar i en compound med mindre enn 30% vestlige. Jeg valgte det fordi jeg er mer redd for at en av de soldatene som sitter i checkpointet skal skyte meg ved en feiltagelse enn å bli overfalt av ekstremister...

Men jeg skal bare bo der et par måneder til før jeg flytter til Bahrain. Kona var lite lysten på å bo i Saudi når jeg ga henne valget om å bo der eller i Saudi når hun kommer nedover. Og for å være helt ærlig så var det et enkelt valg siden det koster mer å finne en bra compound i Saudi enn et kjempesvært hus med badebasseng i Bahrain.

Det er bra det er noen som gidder å forsvare livet i Saudi. Jeg blir litt lei av å lese alle de negative tingene folk skriver. Selvfølgelig er det vanskelig og annerledes men som alt i livet så er det hva man gjør det til selv.
ah, lagom.....da ska jag onskar er lycka till in Bahrain!
Har det bra och tag bra hand om er!
XXXX
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Raynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cerianne
Anyone care to comment as we are a family travelling frm the UK to Riyadh in January and will live and work in Riyadh
Like other areas of Saudi, Riyadh is what you make of it. It is all about attitude and adapting to your surroundings. You have to be prepared for a large culture shock but if you can deal with that then life here can be very pleasant. If you have children it will help if you are on a compound as it will give them plenty to do and you opportunities to meet other people. There are plenty of recreation centres to take children and much to do as a family. There will be plenty of people willing to give you advice but in the end as has been said many times before, you get out of it what you put into it. So if you are prepared to put the effort in your family can enjoy a very good lifestyle.

By the way, what area in Cardiff? We are from Rumney.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

cerianne is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in St mellons, i am orginally from Old St Mellons and my husband from Swansea. Are you out in Riyadh at the moment?
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there is not actually much to do for the teenage age group hence the drug and alcohol problems. And as for the drugs, yes I do know there are drugs all over the world and they are nothing new. However I am in my fifth country of residence and only in Riyadh have I seen such open drug use. Nowhere else in the world that I have lived have drugs been available by the pool or the schools done drug searches - yes I know they do them in USA, Puerto Rico etc. but I choose not to live there and that doesn't make it right or acceptable.

I know people who love it there and would stay forever if they could - it's horses for courses. I have a love/hate relationship with Saudi because I love the Middle East and miss the desert and landscape and people terribly. But I couldn't live in Saudi again although we still all have residence visas 'just in case' - never say never!

TBH it's not the culture shock thing; been living out there too long for that - it's the sheer ridiculousness of it all that got to me in the end.

N
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Raynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura about

We live in St mellons, i am orginally from Old St Mellons and my husband from Swansea. Are you out in Riyadh at the moment?
Yes, my wife will be arriving in about a weeks time (children grown up now and have their own families). If you send me a private message with contact details I can give you a bit more information. We lived in St Mellons for a while many years ago. Know the area well and have family and friends in the area.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Anyone care to comment as we are a family travelling frm the UK to Riyadh in January and will live and work in Riyadh
Good Luck to you!!

Actually, it is quite near to Dubai, so you could easily come to Dubai for short breaks on your holidays....Or even combine it whenever you go back to UK.

Last edited by Debowing; Dec 6th 2009 at 12:08 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieP09
Who said I arrived in Riyadh from UK ? Or that I am from UK ? Or that I want to go back there ? Read my other posts and you will see what opportunities I have opened to my children.

N
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

cerianne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nic1

Thanks for all your comments, i actually appreiate your time and advise. You are well travelled and that is clear. My son is 2 so drugs by the pool i hope is not going to be an issue yet - I hope! Unfortunately drugs are everywhere these days and i am not sure the last time you were in the uk but they are rife - maybe not by the pool but thats because it does not stop raining long enough!

I think Annie was referring to me when she mention leaving the Uk, as she was offering advice on broadening my child's horizons as i had mention earlier - i am sure she not mean to offend.

Hope all is well with you and no doubt as things get ever closer i will be asking you for advice again x Thanks x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.