Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Whats Qatar like for mixed race couples????

Whats Qatar like for mixed race couples????

Old May 12th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Kanth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats Qatar like for mixed race couples????

Hi All,
I need to understand is Qatar like UAE and KSA for racisim of mixed couples. Espacially ones with kids?? I'm white, my wife is asian. Both from the UK.
A heads up would be much appreciated.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice
Default Re: Whats Qatar like for mixed race couples????

Originally Posted by Kanth
Hi All,
I need to understand is Qatar like UAE and KSA for racisim of mixed couples. Espacially ones with kids?? I'm white, my wife is asian. Both from the UK.
Well it depends on a number of factors as stated below. Note that these are based on observations and real experiences of people I know and not my personal views.

Are you a Muslim?
There is a recent growing trend, especially in Saudi and Qatar where Brown/ Olive British Muslims are held in high esteem and often preferred over their White Non Muslim counterparts.

Is your wifes complexion similar of the native women that country?
If yes then she should fit in fine.

Do you and your wife speak like native Brits?
The ones with native accents are looked upon highly and assumed far more intelligent and worthy.

Last edited by Desert Shaikh; May 12th 2012 at 12:23 pm.
Old May 12th 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kanth
Hi All,
I have many friends who are Asian married to Western men. Those girls are not treated very well from what they tell me. Generally, they are assumed to be maids. Never the less, there is a huge community of Asian women married to Westerners here. All in all, they seem to be happy.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:17 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

My wife is of indian heritage and I am white - there is no racism in Qatar of the type you will find in the UK. The EDL and BNP do not have a Doha outpost - however there is a lot of racism here, its just a different variety and more based on the nationality of the servants.

There have been a few instances where my wife has been mistaken for a maid - this is generally things like being ignored in a queue if there is a local behind or just plain pushed out the way by local women. They generally back off pretty quickly when they hear the English accent.

I used to stay in London and never had many problems - the problems I did have came from the Indian community.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Kanth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Abbey and everyone else.
We've been considering the ME for a while. I was offered a role in KSA and was turned down for a visa due to the wife been from Sri Lanka. I now what you mean with the Indians. The looks we used to get back in the day when were dating. Lets see if I get the job in qatar, abbey i'll give you a shout if I get it. I could do we some advise, schools, salary working conditions etc.
Cheers All
Old May 12th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think I have seen any grief given to a white and an Indian (or Sri Lankan)
Seen none stop ridicule of white guy and a flipper.

I do have a Sri Lankan maid who looks down upon all Indians, Pakistanis and Banglas like they are something she just trod in. I had a Sri Lankan no2 a few years ago who looked down upon all Asians and indeed all Sri Lankans who hadnt been to his school St Thomas's in Columbo with equal disdain.

Perhaps its the Asians that are racist ?
Old May 13th 2012, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Perhaps its the Asians that are racist ?
I could not agree more.
Old May 13th 2012, 5:22 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

With Indians and Sri Lankans its the caste system and a way of life - they do not view it as racism.
Old May 13th 2012, 9:36 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

As a man who has * embraced* lots of different nationalities both in the UK and overseas the most racist people I ever came across were pakistani cab drivers in Leeds when I had an Indian girlfriend, some of the things they said were awful and caused quite a few problems.

On a side issue, I took an Arabic lady to the Beach friday, not local but she looks like she is and we got some very strange glares and comments about her being not only with me but in a bikini..........
Old May 13th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
As a man who has * embraced* lots of different nationalities both in the UK and overseas the most racist people I ever came across were pakistani cab drivers in Leeds when I had an Indian girlfriend, some of the things they said were awful and caused quite a few problems.

On a side issue, I took an Arabic lady to the Beach friday, not local but she looks like she is and we got some very strange glares and comments about her being not only with me but in a bikini..........
Fair play mate , they're still composing themselves over the discovery of fire and the wheel in Qatar so i reckon you could be in for a shout for ' head turner of the century '
Old May 13th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by abbey08
My wife is of indian heritage and I am white - there is no racism in Qatar of the type you will find in the UK. The EDL and BNP do not have a Doha outpost - however there is a lot of racism here, its just a different variety and more based on the nationality of the servants.

I usually avoid all things racist, religious and political - i'm far too busy being happy to let such things bother me.

But i find this statement very odd, contradictory, flagrant, inflammatotory - in fact I don't know for sure what find it and probably wish I had stuck to my guns & said nowt !
Old May 13th 2012, 1:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Fair play mate , they're still composing themselves over the discovery of fire and the wheel in Qatar so i reckon you could be in for a shout for ' head turner of the century '
I just sat there like the cock of the walk, drinking cold Corona's whilst they preened, flexed and repeatedly smashed the volleyball in our direction for a better glegg. I thought better of asking if they wanted to take a picture as they probably would of done.
Old May 13th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba

I usually avoid all things racist, religious and political - i'm far too busy being happy to let such things bother me.

But i find this statement very odd, contradictory, flagrant, inflammatotory - in fact I don't know for sure what find it and probably wish I had stuck to my guns & said nowt !
I think it's spot on. The Middle East is a racist society. In other news, dog chases cat.
Old May 13th 2012, 4:40 pm
Living the dream

Originally Posted by goonerseba

Its maybe odd depending on your point of view but it is not contradictory - there is racism in Qatar but just a different variety to the UK and does not hide behind politics, immigration policy and job opportunity for white anglo saxon protestants.

I'll take flagrant & inflammatory as a compliment
Old May 14th 2012, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbey08
Its maybe odd depending on your point of view but it is not contradictory - there is racism in Qatar but just a different variety to the UK and does not hide behind politics, immigration policy and job opportunity for white anglo saxon protestants.

I'll take flagrant & inflammatory as a compliment
The interesting thing is the number of Brits who "join in" with the local racism and see it as an opportunity to show off their true colours now that it's "acceptable" to do so. You see it on here from time to time too. I've lost count of the number of times i've cringed my way through meetings/drinks with Brits of all ages who casually drop words like paki, jingly, wobbly-head, wog etc etc into conversation. Words they would never use back home but feel able to do so in the Middle East. It's part of the dark side of this place in my view and leaves me feeling a bit sick.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.