Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's it like to live in Dubai?

What's it like to live in Dubai?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:45 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

Originally Posted by W10
I've always wondered why people want to move straight away into an area where they are surrounded by people who are from the same place they are from?
I agree...I say it's something to do with having some sort of secure feeling in an otherwise foreign environment...
Sometimes I get introduced to other Dutch people as if that is enough reason to get along instantly, which is a totall misconception cause back home I certainly didn't like every one either...just being from the same country isn't enough...
I find it weird that people would want to move into a home away from home type of environment...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

bexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the rough

But what about if you are a single mother with two school aged kids? I am contemplating a move, but don't think it's financially viable... is it worth a pay cut to live here?!

Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:51 pm
W10

Originally Posted by bexter
But what about if you are a single mother with two school aged kids? I am contemplating a move, but don't think it's financially viable... is it worth a pay cut to live here?!

My biased answer...no way.

Dubai is only worth living in if you can have the lifestyle.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

Thanks for the rundown arbroath_abroad. Any help is always appreciated.

Its start to seem like I might have to think if it's really worth it for myself and family.

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
well your wife and kids will be moving out soon, so at least 2 kids so thats minimum a 3 bedroom place you will want?

Prices vary but around 150-200K (maybe im being a little bit light on my figures there). so ill try to help. Others may be able to help with education costs etc, but as you will see, it all adds up. look at some of others posts regarding kids activities etc, they are not exactly cheap. Im not a doom and gloom merchant, but it is a fact that everything in dubai is for profit im afraid...

Salary 40,000

Housing 12,500
Car 2000
DEWA 500?
Car insurance...
Education.........
phone.......
intenet......
TV.........

dont get me wrong, you can live on this no worries...but i dont think you will have a lot left over
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:54 pm
W10

Originally Posted by MataHari
I agree...I say it's something to do with having some sort of secure feeling in an otherwise foreign environment...
Sometimes I get introduced to other Dutch people as if that is enough reason to get along instantly, which is a totall misconception cause back home I certainly didn't like every one either...just being from the same country isn't enough...
I find it weird that people would want to move into a home away from home type of environment...
Quite, I think when I came here I asked where was good to live. I was pointed in the direction of the Springs (so I'll never ask that question again!!)

Whenever I've lived in a foreign country I've wanted to live among the locals as much as possible.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmmmmm....hard one...I'd say no...
It's not cheap to live here...rents are very high, so you would need to have a very good package...
You'd need to work full time to get enough money, which means you would need a full time live in maid to take care of your kids...cause they finish anywhere between 1 and 2.30...and no after school care....plus there are loads of school holidays and there's the looooooooooooooong summer holiday....
Plus...you'd be here without a support network, no parents, siblings or old friends to fall back upon should you get ill, or the kids, even just for a day or so...I am just imagining it will be very hard coping on your own....
BUT...maybe you don't have all that where you are now...and if you can get good money it may be worth a try. What job would you be looking at? And how old are the kids?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but I would have to say no, but that depends what your chosen career is how old the kids are
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

bexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the rough

Kids are 7-year-old twins - I am on my own here as well, and working full time. It's a hard life!! I used to live in Dubai before the kids, but kids are expensive. Any ideas onhwat the live-in maid would cost me, and a good site to look at to find one?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:11 pm
hmmmm...nice

Kids are 7-year-old twins - I am on my own here as well, and working full time. It's a hard life!! I used to live in Dubai before the kids, but kids are expensive. Any ideas onhwat the live-in maid would cost me, and a good site to look at to find one?
so what do you think you can find here what is better than you have where you are now...I think you need to be really realistic about your expectations. And schoolfees and rents are going to be your main concern here...you would defo need those covered by your employer. Also bear in mind that there really isn't that much to do, especially in the summer...so that means lots of trips to the mall spending money....
Literally everybody I talk to say that they end up spending much more money than they intended to and they don't save or not as much as they want to...
But having said that...I still am very happy here, and so are my kids...
As for the maid...no idea...don't have one, but others do so they will no doubt answer your question.

oh and forget about the Dubai from 7 years ago....it's not like that anymore...if you haven't been back since you won't recognise the place...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:15 pm
W10

And it will be at least four times more expensive

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm... so it's not looking good then?? There must be other single mothers in the same boat out there? I have been trying to get a job back in the Middle East for years now, but I guess deperation shouldn't cloud my judgement. I don't go out much here in the UK, so won't be doing that in Dubai either. It would mainly because I like being out there and the sun and sea etc at weekends...

Dunno....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:19 pm
hmmmm...nice

Hmmm... so it's not looking good then?? There must be other single mothers in the same boat out there? I have been trying to get a job back in the Middle East for years now, but I guess deperation shouldn't cloud my judgement. I don't go out much here in the UK, so won't be doing that in Dubai either. It would mainly because I like being out there and the sun and sea etc at weekends...

Dunno....
what sort of work do you do? that will also determine whether or not its possible for you to move...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

I am an Editor - journalism, writing, books, that sort of thing. I am negotiating with a job offer I have just had, but as I am sure they will not be paying school fees, I am wondering if it's worth it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:28 pm
W10

PM me with more details

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

I am an Editor - journalism, writing, books, that sort of thing. I am negotiating with a job offer I have just had, but as I am sure they will not be paying school fees, I am wondering if it's worth it.
schoolfees will at least be 25,000 dhs per year, per kid....and then you will most probably need transport as well which will be another couple of thousand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.