Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's it like to live in Dubai?

What's it like to live in Dubai?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:39 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

Originally Posted by rocha27
Hi

I've recently been offered an architectural position (project leader) in Abu Dhabi, and am doing some research on the city, living costs, schools for my kids, neighbourhoods to live in, etc.

I've been offered 40.000/month and will be the sole provider as my wife and children will only be moving in a couple of months time.

Can you please give me some info on the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
email: [email protected]

Alex....please do a search on the board...there have been loads and loads of threads on packages recently, so there is a massive amount of info about it...
also, there is the Wiki at the top of the page which contains useful info and links...I am sure 99% of your questions will be answered reading through the info on here....good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
is 40K all in or just your salary. i.e you get housing/car/schooling also? its a typical expat package......(oh gosh, here we go again)
I think it covers all...They just mention thr 40k as pay...nothing else.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I think 40K all in is not enough personally...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Firm of architects in AD. Would this be B******* M***** by any chance?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:45 am
W10

Basically, if you don't care about the arts (indigenous, arab or general), or culture (indigenous, arab or general), or history (indigenous, arab or general), then you'll love it.

If you do, and you are earning a decent wage then you can go to all places which have the above pretty easily.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

Nope, not B******* M*****. It's an Aussie firm.

So, you figure 40k/month is low? Curios on that as I've been searching the forum and seems like a lot of the posts mention values inferior and people keep saying it's managable...

I'm confused....

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
is 40K all in or just your salary. i.e you get housing/car/schooling also? its a typical expat package......(oh gosh, here we go again)
Originally Posted by Meow
Firm of architects in AD. Would this be by any chance?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

So, you figure 40k/month is low? Curios on that as I've been searching the forum and seems like a lot of the posts mention values inferior and people keep saying it's managable...

I'm confused....
Im getting around 42,000 per month plus flights once a year, medical, relocation allowance and housing loan up to 100,000 interest free, 25 working days hol - thats it! no car allowance, no house allowance (no kids but doubt id be getting schooling allowance if i did anyway) i think ill be ok though on that - i mean ivev researched living costs and started looking at rental etc, its still more than manageable - but of course - i dont live there yet!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

I did forget to mention that they also offer medical and flight once a year(trying to find out if it's extensive to the family) and a relocation ticket at the end... plus 30 days holiday. No car or home allowance....

Originally Posted by angelynv
Im getting around 42,000 per month plus flights once a year, medical, relocation allowance and housing loan up to 100,000 interest free, 25 working days hol - thats it! no car allowance, no house allowance (no kids but doubt id be getting schooling allowance if i did anyway) i think ill be ok though on that - i mean ivev researched living costs and started looking at rental etc, its still more than manageable - but of course - i dont live there yet!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=starsun;5881766]Hi, I am sure this question has been asked a million times on this forum, but anyway..

My husband and I are Australian but currently living in Europe. We are thinking our next move will be to Dubai, probably at the end of this year. He will get a very good package with his company and I will be able to earn a decent wage as a lawyer.

My question really is, what would it be like for a young professional couple, without kids, in Dubai. We really like the outdoors and playing sport and stuff. I love shopping! We also like going to the movies, going to restaurants etc. Where we live at the moment, there is no outdoors at all, the weather is bitterly cold and there is very little access to movies in English etc. So anything which is an improvement on this would be a good thing.

So any feedback anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to move out this year and will be visiting Dubai again in April for a final "make my mind up". I plan in staying central to the city. Can anyone advise of what area of town most expats live, popular places to meet etc. I plan meeting a couple of friends but anticipate getting out and about for a few days into such places on my own.

Oliver1
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I am planning to move out this year and will be visiting Dubai again in April for a final "make my mind up". I plan in staying central to the city. Can anyone advise of what area of town most expats live, popular places to meet etc. I plan meeting a couple of friends but anticipate getting out and about for a few days into such places on my own.

Oliver1
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:24 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Oliver...please do a search on the forum...there are loads and loads of recent threads that will answer 99% of your questions, and there is the Wiki on the top of the page with a lot of usefull info as well...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Oliver...please do a search on the forum...there are loads and loads of recent threads that will answer 99% of your questions, and there is the Wiki on the top of the page with a lot of usefull info as well...
Welcome Oliver - MH is right, most of the info you need is here if you look.

To answer one of your points - there is no single area that is totally expat, and a large choice of areas where expats choose to live.

Hope you enjoy your trip here!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused....
well your wife and kids will be moving out soon, so at least 2 kids so thats minimum a 3 bedroom place you will want?

Prices vary but around 150-200K (maybe im being a little bit light on my figures there). so ill try to help. Others may be able to help with education costs etc, but as you will see, it all adds up. look at some of others posts regarding kids activities etc, they are not exactly cheap. Im not a doom and gloom merchant, but it is a fact that everything in dubai is for profit im afraid...

Salary 40,000

Housing 12,500
Car 2000
DEWA 500?
Car insurance...
Education.........
phone.......
intenet......
TV.........

dont get me wrong, you can live on this no worries...but i dont think you will have a lot left over
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:29 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on age of kids -

Education for primary age ranges from approx 30-70 k Dhs per year (depending on which you choose/can get a place at.)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:39 pm
W10

I've always wondered why people want to move straight away into an area where they are surrounded by people who are from the same place they are from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.