Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's it like to live in Dubai?

What's it like to live in Dubai?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all
Default What's it like to live in Dubai?

Hi, I am sure this question has been asked a million times on this forum, but anyway..

My husband and I are Australian but currently living in Europe. We are thinking our next move will be to Dubai, probably at the end of this year. He will get a very good package with his company and I will be able to earn a decent wage as a lawyer.

My question really is, what would it be like for a young professional couple, without kids, in Dubai. We really like the outdoors and playing sport and stuff. I love shopping! We also like going to the movies, going to restaurants etc. Where we live at the moment, there is no outdoors at all, the weather is bitterly cold and there is very little access to movies in English etc. So anything which is an improvement on this would be a good thing.

So any feedback anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:01 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it like to live in Dubai?

Welcome....

ok...shopping shouldn't be a problem...loads of Malls....basically offering all the same things but not too bad overall...you can get most stuff here.
Outdoors things...the weather is quiet hot for about 4 months a year so there won't be much opportunity to do outdoor sports...but the rest of the year it's ok...
I'd say for a couple without kids Dubai can be really good for a few years, especially if you are on a good package. There are lots of restaurant, a few nice clubs, beaches, some good concerts...Movies in English no problem, but expect them to be cut, some scences are not allowed to be shown over here...
Go for it...

oh and do a search about rent prices on here, and read the Wiki at the top of the page....loads of info so you can see if that offer is indeed as good as you think it is...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

starsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to allstarsun is a name known to all

Thanks for that.

In terms of access to things, are there decent western style supermarkets and are there plenty of restaurants that deliver? These are the things I miss the most since moving to where we currently live. Plus are the beaches nice enough so you can go swimming etc?

And one final question - is it possible to have a dog do you think or are there no open spaces to walk it?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:10 am
Just Joined

ayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Very different here in Dubai .. from the place you are currently located in ...

It doesn't get too cold here ... and even if it does .. it's not for a very long ...

English movies .. all latest releases are screened at cinemas all over Dubai ...
Sports -- Golf / Bowling / Snooker / Billiards / Soccer / Shooting ... u name it ... the have it ... plus there's much more ... Shopping .. as long as u have the budget .. u'll love it here ....

There is lot to see ... and lot to do in dubai ... lots of ppl from all over Europe and Australia .. .come and settle down here ... great opportunities ... career wise ... tax free (almost, coz u will be paying some inderectly .. like toll gate fess, parking fees, etc.) .. but it doesn't hurt ...

The night life is great ... wine , dine ... clubs , discotheques ... its all here ...
Cheers,
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starsun
Thanks for that.

In terms of access to things, are there decent western style supermarkets and are there plenty of restaurants that deliver? These are the things I miss the most since moving to where we currently live. Plus are the beaches nice enough so you can go swimming etc?

And one final question - is it possible to have a dog do you think or are there no open spaces to walk it?

Thanks again!
yes there are Western style supermarkets here that have most things you need...there's always something they don't have but then there surely is an alternative...no worries...
And most restaurants do home delivery....
It's a very civilized place in those respects...lol
Why don't you come over for a visit first...seems you don't know much about Dubai...after a few days here you get at least some idea of what it is like over here...

Oh about the dogs, lots of expat have dogs so that is not really a problem although it depends on where you live whether there are enough open spaces to walk it...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:20 am
Just Joined

ayla is an unknown quantity at this point

well ...

Supermarkets ... not a problem ... modern ... all over dubai ...
Restaurants ... too many cuisines ...u name it .. they have it ... and most of the international franchises are already present ...

Swimming ... beaches .. so many ... and dubai is modern enough for u to go get a tan .... without any hassles ...

Dog? ... ofcourse .. so many ppl have dogs ... walking spaces .. available ... everywhere ...

The city is planned wonderfully .... still in progress ... lots of construction going on ... so little bit of traffic congestions ... but what the hell ... by the end of 2008 ... the railway will be started ... latest technology ... easy travel ... plus most of the new roads and bridges will be complete ...

If u have children ,.... no problems as well ... too many british schools .. australian as well ... and american also ....

Only problem is once u get here .. u find it difficult to leave ...
and be careful and check all legalities before buying properties ... get a good lawyer (ooops .. u r a lawyer) ... coz the country follows religious laws ... so when a person dies .. he cannot, in his will write it off to anone he desires, it will be disposed of as per the religious law ... allocated percentages to children ... and wife ... sons get more .. daughters get less ... well .. u can cross that bridge when u get there ...

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

This is all very helpful, thank you. I have been to Dubai but only overnight. However, my husband and I are visiting in March for 4 nights to check it out. If we do move, it won't be until the end of this year because we need to put in more time where we are currently based.

It does sound like it is very western. I have a friend who is also an Australian lawyer who lived there and now lives in Abu Dhabi and he certainly enjoyed it.

In any event, I guess our visit will make it easier for us to decide!

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:33 am
hmmmm...nice

March is a very good time to visit, nice temperature....
Abu Dhabi is a bit different from Dubai, much quieter. If you need any more info, just give a shout...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
March is a very good time to visit, nice temperature....
Abu Dhabi is a bit different from Dubai, much quieter. If you need any more info, just give a shout...
Hi

i am sure my fellow Abu Dhabian's will agree with me when i say that Abu Dhabi is becoming increasingly busy, traffic at certain times is becoimg a mare, supermarkets at the w/end are yuk and trying to get a table for dinner at the w/end is impossible. Hotels are at 95% occupancy!

With all the new hotels that will be opening soon, AD wont be quiet for long!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:06 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ayla

Swimming ... beaches .. so many ... and dubai is modern enough for u to go get a tan .... without any hassles ...

... walking spaces .. available ... everywhere ...

The city is planned wonderfully .... still in progress ... lots of construction going on ... so little bit of traffic congestions ... but what the hell ... by the end of 2008 ... the railway will be started ... latest technology ... easy travel ... plus most of the new roads and bridges will be complete ...

Cheers
Are you actually living in the same Dubai (part of the UAE) as us?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the railway by end 2008
the metro will be end 2009 if lucky and even then very few people will use it
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:25 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the railway by end 2008
Seriously? Completion date's end 2009? That sucks... I thought it'd be done by this year...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starsun
This is all very helpful, thank you. I have been to Dubai but only overnight. However, my husband and I are visiting in March for 4 nights to check it out. If we do move, it won't be until the end of this year because we need to put in more time where we are currently based.

It does sound like it is very western. I have a friend who is also an Australian lawyer who lived there and now lives in Abu Dhabi and he certainly enjoyed it.

In any event, I guess our visit will make it easier for us to decide!

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.
think it's a really good idea to visit and get a feel for the place...some people love it here, but it's not for everyone. I have been here for 2 years and think it's fab...agree with advice others have given...

if you want any tips on what to do in your 4 days here, let us know...

MM, xx
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
the railway by end 2008
aren't they going to run it as a trial without passengers for a number of months first...or did i imagine that...?

MM, xx
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:27 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by annacarna
Hi

i am sure my fellow Abu Dhabian's will agree with me when i say that Abu Dhabi is becoming increasingly busy, traffic at certain times is becoimg a mare, supermarkets at the w/end are yuk and trying to get a table for dinner at the w/end is impossible. Hotels are at 95% occupancy!

With all the new hotels that will be opening soon, AD wont be quiet for long!
oh I agree...but I mean if you compare AD to Dubai, AD is quieter to live in...as in less malls, restaurants, clubs etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.