Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's happening in Bahrain lately?`

Originally Posted by non_Brit
exactly why i am here, to get the real story
staying put for now and enjoying a hot and sunny day at only -3C
-3 and bears, it's never going to be good
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

non_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I watched the Ashura parade down in the souk last year, one father had his little daughter walking with him, all cut up in the head like all the adults..
this is horrible. i was under the wrong impression that the cuttings were not a common practice in bahrain.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
-3 and bears, it's never going to be good
since my dreams of lounging by the arabian sea were shattered ....
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

this is horrible. i was under the wrong impression that the cuttings were not a common practice in bahrain.
Apologies, but you really have a Lawrence of Arabia feel about you, with regards to Bahrain.
I am sorry to explode this myth but Bahrain is full of Shias, the "cuttings" as you call it is in all villages and Manama.

The AMH (American Missionary Hospital) had shias sitting outside in the car park as per norm this week whom become semi-unconscious due to losing too much blood and collapsing in the curbs by the roads, and yes they have big swords
But it is part of the CULTURE so enjoy!
As you say, you have time on your hands therefore definitely do some more research !!

Last edited by markinbahrain; Dec 10th 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
Apologies, but you really have a Lawrence of Arabia feel about you, with regards to Bahrain.
I am sorry to explode this myth but Bahrain is full of Shias, the "cuttings" as you call it is in all villages and Manama x 2 a year. The AMH (American Missionary Hospital) had shias sitting outside in the car park as per norm this week whom become semi-unconscious due to losing too much blood and collapsing in the curbs by the roads, and yes they have big swords
But it is part of the CULTURE so enjoy!
As you say, you have time on your hands therefore definitely do some more research !!
did you know this before you got there?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

did you know this before you got there?
Yes, and I used to live next to what is known locally as a starting house where they all bang drums and get giddy before having a slice. Once you know a few locals they will invite you along to watch but I think they just like to see Westerners turn green or faint.

No blood stains in Amwaj though and a very good Al Osra/Spinneys
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and I used to live next to what is known locally as a starting house where they all bang drums and get giddy before having a slice. Once you know a few locals they will invite you along to watch but I think they just like to see Westerners turn green or faint.

No blood stains in Amwaj though and a very good Al Osra/Spinneys
Are you thinking of heading out there instead of moving by any chance old chap?

Personally I have no isses with Ashora. Besides a bit more noise you don't have to watch if you don't want to and there has been far fewer explosions and teargas for the past 10 days or so. In saying that I heard a couple of bangs last night as I was drifting off to sleep.

Non-Brit - lots of people are still here but the mood in the camp is pretty flat and as has been said a great number are looking to get out. If you have teenage kids, taking them off to Riffa or Amwaj would probably be ok and I wouldn't discount it entirely if that is still an option for you. Fly over and see for yourself, I guess it all depends on how risk averse you are and how much this stuff bothers you.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs

Lol sadly not RB. I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old so as much as we both like the idea of canal side living, its not a good idea with the wee ones.

Saw a fantastic boat for sale in the Amwaj Al Osra, and a cheap quad bike and a cheap Harley so whilst eating a delicious steak pie, I did consider buying the lot and then spending my spare time playing with the toys in the green zone however common sense prevailed and we still think this place is now not so appealing
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Lol sadly not RB. I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old so as much as we both like the idea of canal side living, its not a good idea with the wee ones.

Saw a fantastic boat for sale in the Amwaj Al Osra, and a cheap quad bike and a cheap Harley so whilst eating a delicious steak pie, I did consider buying the lot and then spending my spare time playing with the toys in the green zone however common sense prevailed and we still think this place is now not so appealing
That does sound like fun. You'd just need a pair of grow a pair of boobies and you'd be entirely self self sufficient for all your entertainment needs with that selection.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

The whole souk area smelled of a butchers, puddles of blood everywhere and yes..the occasional person who had gotten a bit too eager with the slicing. It was a pretty extreme experience, and the first time I ever got to see the lady wearing hijab. I quite enjoyed it as it was something I have never seen before. The CID seemed quite active that day. The previous night, they did the whole lashing with razor blades, but didn't get to see it unfortunately.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs

Personally I have no isses with Ashora. Besides a bit more noise you don't have to watch if you don't want to and there has been far fewer explosions and teargas for the past 10 days or so. In saying that I heard a couple of bangs last night as I was drifting off to sleep.

Non-Brit - lots of people are still here but the mood in the camp is pretty flat and as has been said a great number are looking to get out. If you have teenage kids, taking them off to Riffa or Amwaj would probably be ok and I wouldn't discount it entirely if that is still an option for you. Fly over and see for yourself, I guess it all depends on how risk averse you are and how much this stuff bothers you.
Ashura is terrible but predictable. Like you said Ronnie, if people don't want to see it they can avoid it. I am much more concerned with the ongoing civil unrest.
Al Jazeera's http://www.youtube.com/watchv=xaTKDM...feature=relmfu
was very difficult to watch.
I have one 5 1/2 year-old boy. Coming over for a look around is definitely part of the plan.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:48 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Ashura is terrible but predictable. Like you said Ronnie, if people don't want to see it they can avoid it. I am much more concerned with the ongoing civil unrest.
Al Jazeera's http://www.youtube.com/watchv=xaTKDM...feature=relmfu
was very difficult to watch.
I have one 5 1/2 year-old boy. Coming over for a look around is definitely part of the plan.
Your son is young ..you have control..You can live in Amaj or Juffair and be pretty isolated..as long as hubby isn't commuting to Saudi as it will be a bit of a trek for him..Send him to Bahrain School(American system) if your husbands company is willing to fork out the outrageous fees...But really only if its the career opportunity of a life time or you are desperate..Please don't believe the airbrushed beautiful picts on internet..Its not that nice here even in the best of times!

Last edited by heartofdarkness; Dec 11th 2011 at 1:55 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by heartofdarkness
Your son is young ..you have control..You can live in Amaj or Juffair and be pretty isolated..as long as hubby isn't commuting to Saudi as it will be a bit of a trek for him..Send him to Bahrain School(American system) if your husbands company is willing to fork out the outrageous fees...But really only if its the career opportunity of a life time or you are desperate..Please don't believe the airbrushed beautiful picts on internet..Its not that nice here even in the best of times!
Actually that is a very good point that I have forgotten. You do realize that Bahrain is a rock and not a dessert don't you ? Forget sand dunes and oasis. Just rock and not a decent beach in site
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

i already live on a rock island with no beaches and 6 months of harsh winter.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually that is a very good point that I have forgotten. You do realize that Bahrain is a rock and not a dessert don't you ? Forget sand dunes and oasis. Just rock and not a decent beach in site
Harsh. Having lived in the UAE I think this place scrubs up better. It's greener and not so forced. If it wasn't for the troubles Bahrain would be my preferred option in the gulf, there's just something nice about mixing and working with the local population that you won't find in Qatar or the UAE. The long term expats here talk and behave like it's colonial India of the 1930s but you can avoid them easily enough, just don't go to the Dilmun....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.