Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with tipping?

What's the deal with tipping?

Old May 2nd 2005, 8:32 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the deal with tipping?

When you have stuff delivered and assembled, or when a guy from the supermarket pushes your trolley back to your car and packs the boot for you... do you tip them?

I've heard stories that staff are forced to hand any such tips over to their management
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:59 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's the deal with tipping?

Originally Posted by GarethR
When you have stuff delivered and assembled, or when a guy from the supermarket pushes your trolley back to your car and packs the boot for you... do you tip them?

I've heard stories that staff are forced to hand any such tips over to their management
yeah I do tip them..... a fiver or a tenner are most appropriate for something like that, but yeah, some of them do have to hand it over to management.... it then goes into a tip-pool and the tips are equally shared.

tis fair in some respects and unfair in others. Guess it depends on how u look at it.
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:58 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
yeah I do tip them..... a fiver or a tenner are most appropriate for something like that, but yeah, some of them do have to hand it over to management.... it then goes into a tip-pool and the tips are equally shared.

tis fair in some respects and unfair in others. Guess it depends on how u look at it.
There are times when i get a cab from one side of SZR to the other, or from Zabeel to Longs.....If the driver tuts or moans...then he gets the right fair...in small change..and i try to fart in the cab on the way out.

greedy b@stards get the right hump if its a short ride.
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:03 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
There are times when i get a cab from one side of SZR to the other, or from Zabeel to Longs.....If the driver tuts or moans...then he gets the right fair...in small change..and i try to fart in the cab on the way out.

ROTFPMSL That is too funny LOL
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:07 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
ROTFPMSL That is too funny LOL
Talking of farting i'm just going to kick my dog out Pheeeeeeew
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Talking of farting i'm just going to kick my dog out Pheeeeeeew
You should have done that 10 minutes ago......

Now it's too late.....
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:09 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

hmmmm...... and u wonder why they tut and moan?

if they assume i am going to tip them and hang on to the change without me saying so, i make sure i get every last fils back. heh heh.
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:10 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
hmmmm...... and u wonder why they tut and moan?

if they assume i am going to tip them and hang on to the change without me saying so, i make sure i get every last fils back. heh heh.
But Face Sir....you dont "do" public transport.........far to common !!
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:17 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Try asking them to go Longs to Zinc then they get seriously pi**ed off
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:18 pm
The Oracle

But Face Sir....you dont "do" public transport.........far to common !!
Very funny! LOL

Well u know I dont like it, but at times I have no choice..... like now for instance.... need to rely on cabs during the day if I need them... will be going car shopping on thursday.
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:19 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Try asking them to go Longs to Zinc then they get seriously pi**ed off
Yeah dnt they just LOL
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

FaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the rough

Heh heh! I do a piss take...I catch a cab from near the Burj al Arab and go to Madinat Jumeira!!! Oh such fun to see the face of the driver here's your five dirhams...
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:42 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they only expect a tip from 'caucasian face', not an 'asian face' like me

No ... I don't normally tip since they never bother to offer me to push my shopping trolley
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why they get upset as a short ride is more profitable for them isn't it given that the meter has 3dhs on it before you start?

so if you get a ride 20meters down the road they get 3dhs. That's not a bad rate. The longer it is - the lower the effective rate they get.

I once got a ride from my place to a bar when i first moved here and i didn't know where the bar was....just told the taxi driver where i wanted to go.
Turned out the bar was about 300m downt he road....he got 4dhs for it.
That's over 12dhs per kilometer......and he complained.
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:39 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
I think they only expect a tip from 'caucasian face', not an 'asian face' like me

No ... I don't normally tip since they never bother to offer me to push my shopping trolley

Hubby tips, if he feels service was good... I never tip, not cause Im a tight arse but when they do nowt for me I cant see the reason!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.