Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with school waiting lists in Dubai?

What's the deal with school waiting lists in Dubai?

Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:52 am
Just Joined

misspinkcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the deal with school waiting lists in Dubai?

Hi there,
We're moving to Dubai in Feb/March - contract comes this week and then we're asked to move quickly. So, we've already started looking around at schools (primary). All of the British-curriculum schools we've looked into either have closed lists, or waiting lists of 50+. What is the deal with this? What would be the point of joining a waiting list as number 51, never to reach the top?

If you're in Dubai, can you share your experience of getting your child into school? At the moment it seems like we will have to take what we can get even if it scrapes the bottom of the barrel....or very likely not find anything but have to join a dozen waiting lists at 300-500AED each. The children are young (5 and 3) but I don't want them to be months without a school.

Miss Pink Cat
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:57 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's the deal with school waiting lists in Dubai?

Unless you expect to be working straightaway yourself, I would consider keeping the 3yo at home. The value for money and quality of kindergartens here is not that good. There are some unfashionable but goodish schools following the British curriculum in the "above average" category (per KHDA rating system) which don't have long waiting lists.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misspinkcat
Hi there,
We're moving to Dubai in Feb/March - contract comes this week and then we're asked to move quickly. So, we've already started looking around at schools (primary). All of the British-curriculum schools we've looked into either have closed lists, or waiting lists of 50+. What is the deal with this? What would be the point of joining a waiting list as number 51, never to reach the top?

If you're in Dubai, can you share your experience of getting your child into school? At the moment it seems like we will have to take what we can get even if it scrapes the bottom of the barrel....or very likely not find anything but have to join a dozen waiting lists at 300-500AED each. The children are young (5 and 3) but I don't want them to be months without a school.

Miss Pink Cat
Have you tried Regent International School?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, lionheart. Do the waiting lists move quite quickly? I can't see the value in joining anything with a list of over 10 waiting (especially since for the 5-year-old it's not for a September place, we need him in school sooner). For the 3-year-old, he would be due to join Foundation 1 in September, so we're keen to get him a place, but will keep him at home (also have a baby) until then. I will be starting work right away, but my husband has some flexibility and we'll also be getting help with the children.

I like the sound of the unfashionable but good schools. Can you recommend any?

Thanks a lot

Ms Pink Cat...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Have you tried Regent International School?
Thanks Blue Cat - I've emailed Regent this morning.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Blue Cat - I've emailed Regent this morning.
three kids under 5 and you're going to work! good luck with it. My Daughter is at Regent (year 2) and she loves it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

No choice unfortunately, Blue Cat I've just had a blissful year's maternity leave at home with the three of them, and now jumping right back in at deep end with a relocation. Regent replied to say they have places in September and would keep the 5-year-old in mind for anything coming free sooner than that. Nice to hear that your daughter loves it. Do you live nearby the school? I'll be working in Internet City so that area would suit nicely. They do say find a school, find a house, don't they?

Miss PC
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:19 am
Concierge

No choice unfortunately, Blue Cat I've just had a blissful year's maternity leave at home with the three of them, and now jumping right back in at deep end with a relocation. Regent replied to say they have places in September and would keep the 5-year-old in mind for anything coming free sooner than that. Nice to hear that your daughter loves it. Do you live nearby the school? I'll be working in Internet City so that area would suit nicely. They do say find a school, find a house, don't they?

Miss PC
you should be fine with them, I am sure they will find you another space for the 5 year old, people are leaving all the time so I live near the school, there are plenty of places to live in that area it depends what budget you have for housing. Look at The Lakes, The Springs, The Meadows etc
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, Blue Cat. Housing allowance will become clearer tomorrow or the next day. Looking at rental prices online, it seems extortionate and I wonder will we find anything decent, but colleagues tell me they are all managing well on our company's allowance.

Miss PC.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:35 am
Concierge

Thanks again, Blue Cat. Housing allowance will become clearer tomorrow or the next day. Looking at rental prices online, it seems extortionate and I wonder will we find anything decent, but colleagues tell me they are all managing well on our company's allowance.

Miss PC.
you alone need to cover all expenses, housing, schools, medical, airfares. Makes sure you get a good package or you will end up in trouble
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any kids (that I am aware of), however had friends over who are thinking about a move over and had phoned ahead to 3 schools and told they were full and had waiting lists. When they were here for a recce, they went in to all 3 schools, met with the headmasters and found out that they did have spaces available. So not sure if some schools are wanting to meet the parents in person before deciding about eligibility or not.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Brains, appreciate your reply. I think you're right - when you're on the ground in Dubai and with a child ready to turn up on Monday, oops, Sunday morning to start school, there may be more options (one school has told us that they have a waiting list but to contact them anyway when we arrive...). The internet is actually pretty rubbish at giving a real picture of anything from half-way across the world

BlueCat, thanks again. Got the package today and it seems generous - covers all that you mentioned.

Miss Pink Cat
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:56 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Two of us from my office are making the move to dubai this weekend (from abu dhabi). We found schools but only when we physically went to them and met with the registrar/head teachers. There are some great smaller schools which might have places. Try star international umm al sheif. Close enough to internet city. I was also recommended to try safa school and horizon school. Every single school I emailed said no... So I just got a map, plotted the schools that were nearest to our apartment and was prepared to slog round the lot of them. Luckily the one I really wanted had a place - but only after we had all gone there and had a tour.

One thing I've learned from my short time here is that emails are given the same attention as they are at home. Certainly my HR department never answer them....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I was also recommended to try safa school and horizon school. Every single school I emailed said no...
horizon school has got a bit of an exodus going on at the mo - so there must be places in years 1 and 3 as i know kids have just moved from there...

MM, xx
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks lullabelle and Madame M, appreciate your replies - totally makes sense that a bird in the hand gets a school place quicker than a random email query. We accepted our offer, fly out at end of Feb and will make some appointment then (relocation agent will help I think).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.