Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's Bahrain Like?

What's Bahrain Like?

Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:44 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's Bahrain Like?

Anyone lived/worked there?

Manama in particular.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:40 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Bahrain Like?

Trying to tell us something, MJC?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:46 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Anyone lived/worked there?

Manama in particular.
Lived there for 2 years, enjoyed our time there. Quick summary:

Cars - more expensive
Petrol - same
Rent - a lot cheaper (most villas are getting on a bit, but they are still very nice and get painted, plastered etc. before you move in, a lot bigger than Dubai and generally on compounds which are quite sociable.
Food shopping - more expensive than Dubai, but pretty good selection.
Shopping malls - same as any other in Middle East, just like being in Metro Centre (without the thieves).
Eating out - some nice places if you look around, prices on a par with Dubai.
Drinking - probably 5 or 6 bars that we would regularly go to. Drinks prices same as Dubai.
Roads not as busy, but Wednesday evenings are best avoided, the Saudis are in a hurry.
Liquor stores - no license required!

Bahrain seemed a lot more relaxed than Dubai, although earlier this year there was a series of protests against govt, laws etc... Some got violent and was a little uncomfortable at times.
Would hear rumours of Iranian-linked clerics having more influence there (not getting into a political discussion here), last Ramadan all alcohol was banned (we were notified on the first day of Ramadan), there is a group of MPs who pushed for this, they have stated their ultimate aim is to have no alcohol at all in Bahrain.

Didn't know anyone who lived in Manama - best place seemed to be Saar/Budaiya area, 15 minutes drive to Manama, good supermarkets nearby, rugby club/country club very close.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My sister lived out there for a few years, loved it, lots of people to hang out with who seemed fairly friendly, and expats, and able to get a much nicer package than say dxb.

Only thing she didn't like, because our mother is Japanese, when going to certain shops or places, people would think she was a filopino and treat her like shite, thought she was a cleaner, until they realised....that was a few years ago though, so might have changed
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:47 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
My sister lived out there for a few years, loved it, lots of people to hang out with who seemed fairly friendly, and expats, and able to get a much nicer package than say dxb.

Only thing she didn't like, because our mother is Japanese, when going to certain shops or places, people would think she was a filopino and treat her like shite, thought she was a cleaner, until they realised....that was a few years ago though, so might have changed
I can vouch for the package being nicer, when i was interviewing with a large middle east package delivery company based in Bahrain but with a huge presence in dubai (think yellow), they said that all their dubai salaries were based on the same salary level in Bahrain minus 15%.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:56 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Shopping malls - s ame as any other in Middle East, just like being in Metro Centre (without the thieves).
Or Ram-Raiders - do you remember that cctv showing the Rangy ram raiding Dixons and all the chavs nicking the videos. Priceless.

Thanks for that btw, k on way..
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Or Ram-Raiders - do you remember that cctv showing the Rangy ram raiding Dixons and all the chavs nicking the videos. Priceless.

Thanks for that btw, k on way..
Remember it well - there are some things from home you really miss in Dubai
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:06 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Remember it well - there are some things from home you really miss in Dubai
Yep, it's the little things you miss.

The Chavs on the corner swapping their milk tokens for single Regals, the groups having "Hockle" competitions on the first floor balcony outside of Dorethy Perkins, to see who can hit the old women belowThe gently moving slag heaps and the free rides on the backs of coal trains!!

And we thought we had it bad!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

jumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud ofjumpinjacks has much to be proud of

Live in Bahrain for some years - Manama is the main area of Bahrain, Saar is where most expats live just of the Budeiya highway.

Agree with everythign else that has been written, esp about the weekends avoid the roads - the Kuwaities and Saudis go crazy at the weekend.

There are some amaxinf resteruants there, Jims was a favourite of Mine owned by an Irish, atmosphere is great. bahrain Yacht club is the place to go if you are into Diving !!

Food, furniture and cars are more expensive than Dubai but other than that the same apart from a hell of alot smaller !!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, you're from Manchester?

Originally Posted by MJC
Yep, it's the little things you miss.

The Chavs on the corner swapping their milk tokens for single Regals, the groups having "Hockle" competitions on the first floor balcony outside of Dorethy Perkins, to see who can hit the old women belowThe gently moving slag heaps and the free rides on the backs of coal trains!!

And we thought we had it bad!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:42 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Ahhh, you're from Manchester?
I take that as a grave insult.

I'm from Newcastle - That's on Tyne, not under lyme!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take it badly - I was going to say that your spelling and grammar were impeccable by manc standards.

Reading your previous post, it fits every stereotype about mancunian life, except for mugging and robbing. I hereby revoke my previous comment.

Originally Posted by MJC

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Please don't take it badly - I was going to say that your spelling and grammar were impeccable by manc standards.

Reading your previous post, it fits every stereotype about mancunian life, except for mugging and robbing. I hereby revoke my previous comment.
A real estate friend in NZ lived in Bahrain for over 8 years and loved it, only moved because his contract came to an end and he had to move on. He couldn't fault it and would go back tomorrow given the chance.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC

Oi! Trafford Centre beats the Metro Centre by miles.

I am an ex (near) Manc! Well, about 25 miles away.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:06 am
W10

Bahrain seemed a lot more relaxed than Dubai, although earlier this year there was a series of protests against govt, laws etc... Some got violent and was a little uncomfortable at times.
Isn't that a good thing??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.