Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

what to wear in Saudi?

what to wear in Saudi?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to wear in Saudi?

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
A big black bin liner with holes in it at the top should do the job nicely.

Out of interest how much extra money is there to be earned in Saudi? It sounds like a living hell.....
Can be quite a bit....and life is fab there...have you been there?
Probably not since you think it is hell....lol
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:11 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Out of interest how much extra money is there to be earned in Saudi? It sounds like a living hell.....
the money is better, (about 50% in my case) but what's the point in having more money with nothing to enjoy it on/with/etc? personally, the money is the lesser side, the experience is the one of the bigger things (not too many places like the magic kingdom!) but the expat community here (and compound living) is like nothing i could've imagined. the friendliness and openness of people here simply astounding and one of the most brilliant aspects of this place. when i leave, that will be the biggest (and possibly the only) thing i'll miss.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
the money is better, (about 50% in my case) but what's the point in having more money with nothing to enjoy it on/with/etc? personally, the money is the lesser side, the experience is the one of the bigger things (not too many places like the magic kingdom!) but the expat community here (and compound living) is like nothing i could've imagined. the friendliness and openness of people here simply astounding and one of the most brilliant aspects of this place. when i leave, that will be the biggest (and possibly the only) thing i'll miss.
I can imagine the adversity makes people push together a bit more. In London you can live next door to someone for 10 years and not even say hello.....

I haven't been and I haven't heard a single person say anything positive about the place. It always sounds like the most ****ed up place on earth to be honest......
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine the adversity makes people push together a bit more. In London you can live next door to someone for 10 years and not even say hello.....

I haven't been and I haven't heard a single person say anything positive about the place. It always sounds like the most ****ed up place on earth to be honest......
Well, most people I know who have lived there and are living there love it....I think the Magic Kingdom is a place you either love or hate...no in between....it takes, IMHO, a certain type of Expat to be able to handle that place...I , for one, can't wait to go back there.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Well, most people I know who have lived there and are living there love it....I think the Magic Kingdom is a place you either love or hate...no in between....it takes, IMHO, a certain type of Expat to be able to handle that place...I , for one, can't wait to go back there.
I'd go back to the Magic Kingdom tomorrow.

I'm in my favourite GCC location now (Bahrain) but work-wise (professionalism, motivation, etc) the Saudis are a country mile ahead of anyone else in this region (don't even mention the Kuwaitis or the Emiratis!!!!).

And the compound life with all the expats is certainly a positive - mind you, it's way down on what it used to be.........

........... which reminds me.............. Marie.............

Last edited by The Dean; Apr 15th 2009 at 5:12 pm. Reason: i
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
And the compound life with all the expats is certainly a positive - mind you, it's way down on what it used to be.........

........... which reminds me.............. Marie.............
Let her go mate - she's just a nice memory now

On second thoughts I can now recall meeting someone who loved it in Saudi and was looking forward to leaving the UAE to go back again. What is it about the place that some people love?? Are the compounds like Ancient Rome??
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I much preferred my 8 years in Jeddah to my 3 years here in Dubai...is that positive enough? And did I mention the cheap price of freshly cooked prawns in the local restaurants?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Jeddah_guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: what to wear in Saudi?

you can strip down to ur bikini in any private beach..like durrah beach, al nakheel, n many others on abhur!
cheers m8!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:08 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
When you say you've "met" her recently, do you mean.....??

No!! Please, no!!! I hate you...............
'twas confirmed on the w/end... i believe it is the same one and i've heard other accounts of the itsy bitsy bikini...

so when are you returning to the magic kingdom?