British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   what are the levels of dives in Jeddah ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-levels-dives-jeddah-754955/)

vysko Apr 15th 2012 6:42 pm

what are the levels of dives in Jeddah ?

Hi,

what kind of dive spots are available in Jeddah (or generally in KSA) - is it just shallow "fish watching" recreational diving or are there available also some technical diving spots like deep wrecks, etc ?

Also, what is the class and condition of equipment available for rent there - is it just usual low-cost rec equipment or is there available also some higher class or even tech equipment like twin tanks + regs ?

thanks
Vysko

Oyibopeppeh Apr 15th 2012 6:49 pm

Re: what are the levels of dives in Jeddah ?

Damn, I thought we were talking shabby strip clubs

vysko Apr 15th 2012 6:51 pm

sorry, I should have mentioned "SCUBA diving" :thumbup:

OleJanx Apr 15th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by vysko (Post 10006934)
sorry, I should have mentioned "SCUBA diving" :thumbup:

Still, full marks for getting peoples attention.

lostinthedust Apr 16th 2012 7:25 am

Yes, most of the dives are "fishy". There are some wrecks off Jeddah but they are recreational level. The AnnAnn is quite good and worth doing.

Off Yanbu there is a great dive on the "Iona", a WWI era passenger/supply vessel. She starts about 18m down to about 50m. Not necessarily a tec dive but extended range, and lots to see/explore.

I think Arab Circumnavigator in Jeddah may hire twins, and I would avoid hire gear from anyone here. We have seen a few minor and one major incident with below par hire gear.

vysko Apr 16th 2012 10:05 am

Originally Posted by lostinthedust (Post 10007698)
Yes, most of the dives are "fishy". There are some wrecks off Jeddah but they are recreational level. The AnnAnn is quite good and worth doing.

Off Yanbu there is a great dive on the "Iona", a WWI era passenger/supply vessel. She starts about 18m down to about 50m. Not necessarily a tec dive but extended range, and lots to see/explore.

I think Arab Circumnavigator in Jeddah may hire twins, and I would avoid hire gear from anyone here. We have seen a few minor and one major incident with below par hire gear.

Thanks for info Lostinthedust, exactly what I needed to know. So it seems to bring at least my own regs for safety reasons is a good idea :(

lostinthedust Apr 16th 2012 10:35 am

Definately bring your reg's if nothing else. New gear is expensive to buy in the dive shops in Jeddah. And take your reg's home to be serviced if you want them to keep working ;)

ShawJ Apr 16th 2012 2:37 pm

I would agree with 'lostinthedust' in that the dives are quite fishy and fairly easy.

I have done 40+ dives with hired equipment and not had any problems so far. I tend to use the same dive companies/beaches and their kit seems to be ok.

Jason

hoofie2002 Apr 18th 2012 8:34 am

Is the "Chicken Wreck" still around ?

ShawJ Apr 18th 2012 9:11 am

Yes it is!

lostinthedust Apr 18th 2012 9:16 am

Yes, in all its chickeny glory. Saw a Manta ray there once.

Just to clarify on the quality on rental gear in Jeddah - yes it is fine for recreational diving. I did see a reg fail once and when my friend pulled it apart there was little bits of plastic in the first stage. But the experienced diver coped with the situation and no harm done. This was about 6 years ago if I remember.

The OP was asking about tec/extended range diving and I personally would not (and don't) use the rental gear for this kind of diving.

HanNnoDe Apr 20th 2012 3:47 pm

hi guys
I'm new diver looking for partners in jeddah
Is there anyone interested to go dive at 3 or 4 May ?

seven seas Apr 21st 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10006933)
Damn, I thought we were talking shabby strip clubs

+1